shape
carat
color
clarity

Cleaning an Aquamarine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
On the SMTR thread, I was told a u/s would not be a good way to clean an aqua. I haven''t done this, don''t worry! I read online to soak it in mild soap and then use a very soft brush to scrub it. Is that what you all would recommend?

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
When I bought my aqua from Wink, he said that Gemcare products would do a good job. I have yet to use them, but according to Wink, Gemcare is a vegetable product and smell nice. He also suggests using ammonia + warm water and a drop or two of detergent. He says that this method will leave a light film and has an odor. He said both methods will get the aqua clean.

He sells Gemcare on his website (scroll down to the bottom):
http://www.winkjones.com/specials/special_other.php

Honestly, I have not used either method, as my local jeweler will clean my ring for free.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''d take the ring to my local jeweler, have them steam clean it, buy a jar of jewelry cleaner from them, then clean it myself daily. I drop my rings into the cleaner when I''m in the bathroom, brushing teeth or showering, then after a few minutes take them out, rinse them (be sure drain stopper is closed), pat dry on a clean towell, put back onto finger and wear.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok. Thanks so much ladies!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Blitz cleaner is ammonia free and works well on aquas. To clean my emerald I use dawn dishwashing soap and warm water and that method would work great on aquas. I soak them and scrub them with a baby toothbrush.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
STOP!!!! Don''t steam clean your aqua. This could crack the stone. Steam is safe for diamonds and sapphires, but I wouldn''t steam clean anything else. The sudden heat could cause you stone to crack.

I use rubbing alcohol to clean my stones along with a q-tip or small brush. A $0.99 bottle will last for years and 100''s of cleanings.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 8:02:11 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
STOP!!!! Don''t steam clean your aqua. This could crack the stone. Steam is safe for diamonds and sapphires, but I wouldn''t steam clean anything else. The sudden heat could cause you stone to crack.

I use rubbing alcohol to clean my stones along with a q-tip or small brush. A $0.99 bottle will last for years and 100''s of cleanings.
Thank you, Gene. That''s good to know.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2008 2:57:16 PM
Author: Fly Girl
I''d take the ring to my local jeweler, have them steam clean it, buy a jar of jewelry cleaner from them, then clean it myself daily. I drop my rings into the cleaner when I''m in the bathroom, brushing teeth or showering, then after a few minutes take them out, rinse them (be sure drain stopper is closed), pat dry on a clean towell, put back onto finger and wear.
Do NOT steam clean your aqua! It WILL crack. Do not use ammonia cleaner, steam cleaning or ultrasonic on anything other than sapphires, rubies and spinels. Anything else will be too soft to be able to take the "stress". For all other gemstones, use a gentle amonnia free jewellery cleaner, rinse and pat dry.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wasn''t going to do anything before I heard back from you, so don''t worry! I didn''t ruin my ring.

Thanks a lot for your help, I can''t wait to get this ring back to being sparkly!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m confused. I have read multiple sites that say ammonia is ok for Aqua''s, but not to use rubbing alcohol. I don''t know what to believe now.
33.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine recommended Polident Foam denture cleaner. I thought, What? really?.... but I am "insane" when it comes to keeping my sparklies SPARKLIN! I have a hard time getting the "knooks and crannys" of my jewelry clean, so I thought...I will try it. I just soak my jewelry for about 90 seconds, take a soft brush and do a little scrub, rinse and wella! It does Wonders! I have used it on aqua.....so I feel like it is pretty safe. Not sure about pearls though.........
33.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what''s in Polident. What you want to be is cognizant of fine particles that might scratch your soft gemstones. Even toothpaste isn''t recommended for a hard stone like a diamond, much less a less hard gemstone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results