shape
carat
color
clarity

cleaning a diamond in boiling hot water

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

z78gml

Shiny_Rock
CAN I CLEAN MY DIAMOND IN BOILING HOT WATER. WILL THE DIAMOND CRACK?

jesrush

Rough_Rock
If you search the forum for "diamond cleaning" you will find several people who do clean their stones using boiling water, so yes you can do that. However most of them reccomended that you elevate the diamond up above the bottom of the pot (using a strainer).

That said, there are other more effective (and probably safer) cleaning techniques. For daily cleaning a soft toothbrush with a simple cleaning solution (50% ammonia 50% water) is effective and for weekly or monthly deeper cleaning you can use an ultrasonic cleaner (checkout the Branson B200) or steam the diamond at the jewelers (or at home--with a cappacino machine, teapot, or steam vacuum).

-JES

z78gml

Shiny_Rock
THANK YOU

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
do not boil the diamonds - put the diamonds in water that has just boiled with some ammonia and detergent.

Do not drop long thin diamonds in from cold - the temp shock might break them - in general warm the jewellery first.

This is only advice for diamonds and gold - not other gems.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I am no expert but with the plethora of cleaning methods and materials that exist for diamonds, I would not put my diamonds in boiling water.
6.gif
1.gif

JC

Shiny_Rock
Hot water is fine. Take it from Gary. He knows what he's talking about.....

1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Hot water and boiling water are two different things.

If I understand Garry, he advises to use water that has been made very hot (almost boiling point) with some ammonia & dish detergent (a method I actually employ and find quite effective. Dropping a diamond ring in a pot of boiling water seems rather excessive when there are so many other, equally as convenient methods.
1.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 10/4/2004 3:21:36 PM Jennifer5973 wrote:

Dropping a diamond ring in a pot of boiling water seems rather excessive when there are so many other, equally as convenient methods.
1.gif

----------------
Seems that way to me as well. There was thread awhile ago that someone boiled their diamonds, but forgot about them and left the pot to boil dry. They got black and needed some cleaning I believe.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Exactly Noobie - boiling water will not hurt a diamond. But the cleaning process works fine with water just off the boil by adding the ammaoina and detergent to chill it slightly.
And you never get a phone call and boil it dry!

That will result in burning the diamond.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I just recently bought a steam cleaner. It is not for diamonds per se. However, it's a Shark steam machine for cleaning other things. My MIL had a scuunci(sp). It did a fab job on my ring. I went and got a shark for my house (hubby will not be happy if it only cleans rings) My ring has never looked so good. Good news is that it cleans my windows and floors and everything else as well as my diamond. My ring has never looked as good.

Shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results