shape
carat
color
clarity

Classic Tiffany & Co setting v knockoffs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maybebabies

Rough_Rock

Hi all

I have been reading on these forums for weeks while my boyfriend and I have been diamond shopping, and finally decided to post. I fell in love with the Tiffany classic setting, and looked everywhere else first to see if I could find a copy that I would love just as much for a better price. Despite the Tiffany bashing on this board, we decided that there was no match for the classic Tiffany setting. Overall, the quality, proportion, and clean lines cannot be copied. It is truly a piece of art, and worth the price. The sales staff were friendly and knowledgable. I didn''t feel that they were stuck-up at all, at least no more than any other store, jewelry or not, in South Coast Plaza.

I should be getting the ring in a few days because they are bringing it in from another store. We may have paid a premium, but it is worth it to wear a classic piece of art on my finger for a lifetime!!

I was comparing the knock-off settings from Whiteflash and Superbcert, and made a photo comparison to see them side by side. So for any of you who are considering one of these alternatives, maybe this will help you decide what to get. Once I saw them side by side, it was obvious that Tiffany''s was the best. The Superbcert gets the shape of the prongs right, but the setting doesn''t quite have the same proportion and the band is a little thicker. The Whiteflash prongs have a steeper angle, more of a V-shape.

Here are the settings, from left to right, superbcert, Tiffany, and Whiteflash

tiff0006546754.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Interesting, maybebabies! Thanks for posting. So...tell us about your ring!
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s no question that their settings are outstanding! I just wish they''d let me provide a diamond to set in their setting!

But congratulations and please post pictures of your ring!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on the ring!

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats, I''d love to see pics of the ring!!!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your ring! I''m sure it will be beautiful and it sounds like you made the right choice for yourself.

I do, however, think the Superbcert and Whiteflash settings are great alternatives if you like the overall Tiffany style, but would like to choose your own center stone.

Please post pics when you receive the ring!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe maybe its the bigger stone (i am a size whore after all) but I love the one on the left the best!!
9.gif

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
If Tiffany''s was right for you, then that''s great.

Congratulations to both of you!

You know we will be expecting hand shots!!! LOL

Blod
35.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, some 'knockoffs' are substantially better than the original - thinking of ArtOfPlatinum and Morell and other custom jewelers making some version of Tiffany's solitaire. These are probably not intended as exact copies - each has a personal twist.

I would not call these knock offs... because the type of ring is not Tiffany's invention - they brought the solitaire to fame, but it isn't 'theirs' so to speak. A popular jewelry design will always be copied, as long as it is relatively easy to do so. No surprise that this ring has allot of followers.

Now, neither of those were on your list.

Quite a few of the models intended to 'copy exactly' are done on the cheap. As if the sellers know these are bought to save cash over the 'real deal' and try to see how low it can go before there is a complaint!
11.gif
Good for them... whatever. If the original would not carry such a strange markup on a simple ring, this may not be the case.
7.gif
... because the similar product would no longer be sought as a 'cash saving option' but judged on merit too. Oh well...

Just a random opinion, of course.

My 2c

elvingomez

Rough_Rock
can you buy just the setting from Tiffany''s? or will they only let you buy the whole package, i''m tryint to do 1.3 CT under 12 grand... i havent checked tiff, but im sure thats not feasible

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Whiteflash knife edge version( they make a few in different price ranges) and it looks more like the Tiffany one than it does in your photo. It does not have those wide openings in the prongs and the angles are not steep. I think the appearance of the setting depends upon the size of the stone set in it and how deep the stone is set. I had my stone set very deep in the setting as Tiffany does and it does not look like the one you pictured. The prongs are curved and fit around the stone. I think the Whiteflash one pictured has a small stone set high so the prongs look straight.

For me, the Whiteflash version works since I tihnk it simple and well made and just a showcase for the stone. Since I wanted a larger stone, Tiffany was not an option.

However, everyone has different desires and I am sure your Tiffany setting is very beautiful. You might be more discerning than I am in the nuances of the design but, to me, they all look very much the same.

Best of luck and I am anxious to see pictures of your ring.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2006 2:49:51 AM
Author: elvingomez
can you buy just the setting from Tiffany''s? or will they only let you buy the whole package, I''m trying to do 1.3 CT under 12 grand... i haven''t checked tiff, but I''m sure that''s not feasible

No.

If 12k is for the ring not just the stone (2k for a setting - keeping every darn standard I can thin of for a solitaire ...), 1.3 cts safely G/VS2 (or E-F/SI, it it were my pic) sounds just about right - 10k-ish.

You may find this funny, but it is less than a year since Tiffany made a point by showing round diamonds in advertisement bits with a visible arrow pattern on top. Well, they may be catching on to something
9.gif
It took a while...

As a disclaimer for the 2c worth...no, I don''t particularly hate or like that ring or brand, for me it is more of a case of ''brand allergy'' that reacts equally to all of them.

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations but Hey I have a Tiffany Ring and I will agree it is beautiful. However, I wouldn''t say it was the best of what''s out there just comparable to most really fine pieces.

So yes Tiffany is beautiful, yes your fiance paid a premium (like myself) but being in NYC & shopping the uppers floors of the diamond district I have seen comparable if not better fine pieces from these old guys working platinum & diamonds like it was in their genes.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I''d really have to say that I like the WF version better, I think the prongs are prettier to me. Can you tell I''m no expert? "Prettier?"
20.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
My feeling is this: Tiffany''s makes a fine product as does Whiteflash and Superbcert (among many others). If your goal is to have a ring that looks as close to the Tiffany''s original as possible, you can''t do better than the Tiffany''s original! If, however, you simply like the general idea of the Tiffany''s setting (buttercup-style head, knife-edge shank, etc) and you want the largest, best cut diamond available (without paying a ridiculous premium), Tiffany''s isn''t for you. I have the Superbcert replica and really couldn''t care less whether it looks like the original. I like it on its own merits and I know I couldn''t have gotten my diamond at Tiffany''s for any price (unless Tiffany''s has started carrying superideal H&As??). So, like with everything else, it''s a matter of preference. The term "best" is highly subjective.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats on your purchase maybe
36.gif

i can''t wait to see your ring!
3.gif

i just don''t think that picture above does the wf version any justice. here''s the pics of solange''s amazing ring from wf
18.gif

myrna2.jpg
myrna3.jpg

such a beauty!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
belle are you trying to give me a heart attack? those images of solange''s ring are to die for!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 1:00:18 PM
Author: Mara
belle are you trying to give me a heart attack? those images of solange''s ring are to die for!
just inspiration dear
2.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello and glad you are happy with your decision to buy what is undoubtedly a beautiful Tiffany ring. You commented in your original post "despite the Tiffany bashing" on this forum and maybe I''ve missed something, but I don''t think any PS''ers are really anti-Tiffany. While most of us didn''t buy from Tiffany (myself included), I think most of us acknowledge the fact that Tiffany has beautiful stuff. I know I enjoy my trips around the Tiffany display cases and I''m sure that many on this forum can admit to enjoying the same experience. I''ve also never had anyone at our local Tiffany''s show me any rudeness whatsoever. If anything, they have gone out of their way to admire my ring and comment that it''s obvious I have a very nice diamond indeed.

The bottom line is if you and your intended are happy with your purchase, you don''t need confirmation from anyone on this site. I''m sure you bought or are about to buy a fantastic piece, from one of the most reputable jewelers in the world and we all hope that little blue box that accompany''s your ring is the beginning of a fantastic life together.

WHO CARES WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS AS LONG AS YOU ARE HAPPY!!

Best wishes.........

vinvin0

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Congrats on your ring!

For a Tiffany ring, does the width of the ring vary depending on the size of the center stone? If so, would anyone know what the width of the ring would be (from the top) of a 1carat ring?

For the WF and Superbcert Tiffany replica''s does anyone know how the width of the rings compared to the original Tiffany''s. As far as I know, the WF and Superbcert rings come with a custom head, but a stanfard ring width.

Thanks,
vinvin0

Tiffany1976

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to share that I shopped at Tiffany, but as it turned out, I was given a diamond which was in my family, and we bought a lovely setiing from Barry at Superbcert. It looks every bit as beautiful as anything that you could but at Tiffany''s, and is far from a cheap replica. The craftsmanship is perfect, and there is incredible attention to detail. When the ring is on your hand, there is no way that anyone would know the difference. It is flawless. I think they are lovely at Tiffany''s, and have bought plenty of pieces from them, but I would always choose the bigger rock:)
25.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for posting my ring, Belle, and for your nice comments, Mara. I looked in Tiffany's before we bought my ring but we would have had to pay at least triple for the size I wanted. Also, I had no objection to a perfectly eye clean SI stone as long as it was Ideal cut and Tiffany only goes to VS2.

I do not think either of the replicas are inferior knock offs. Tiffany may have a better photographer.
If you want the real thing and nothing else will do, then by all means buy at Tiffany's since you will probably not be happy with anything else. But I do not think these photos should be used to make a decision on which is best. You would have to see all three together in person to do that. As you can see from my ring, a lot depends on the size of the stone and how deep it is set.

I am sure your ring is beautiful and is exactly what you wanted. It represents love and thoughtfulness and that the most important thing in an engagement ring. It is obvious that your fiance wanted you to have exactly what you wanted and that makes for a great relationship. Best of luck on your engagement and I look forward to seeing your photos.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 8:45:37 PM
Author: vinvin0
Hi,

Congrats on your ring!

For a Tiffany ring, does the width of the ring vary depending on the size of the center stone? If so, would anyone know what the width of the ring would be (from the top) of a 1carat ring?

For the WF and Superbcert Tiffany replica's does anyone know how the width of the rings compared to the original Tiffany's. As far as I know, the WF and Superbcert rings come with a custom head, but a stanfard ring width.

Thanks,
vinvin0
I tried to message you so as not to divert from the topic but private messages are no longer allowed.
The knife edge on my Tiffany style setting makes the band look very thin and delicate but there is substance to the setting. You do not see the thicker part from the top.
I think it would be best if you call Superbcert and Whiteflash to ask whether they use the same width band for all size stones.
Even if they do, I do not think this setting would be too thick for a one carat stone. This is a very simple setting that does not require major workmanship such as putting in melee other design intricacies that would add to the cost. Part of the price is for the platinum and I do not think you would want a thinner or less substantial setting at the price of either of the above mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results