shape
carat
color
clarity

Class 2A, hard to find in princess cut? also color question.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mtnclimber69

Rough_Rock
Is a class 2A princess cut stone hard to find?

If so would such a well cut stone be wasted with a clarity of SI1 or would it in fact make it shine brighter?

Also how would a 'I' color diamond really look in the sunlight in a platinum setting... would the average human eye detect any color? 'I' seems to be borderline in the stages of showing color, which also seems both good and bad... can I get some opinions please?

I am still trying to figure out the brilliance factor... and am still a newbie here.

Though this site has been a great help so far! Many kudos to the maker.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
It is true that good princess cuts can be hard to find, but they are out there. Ask a vendor you trust to find you what you want. The clarity should be pretty much a non-issue unless the stone is not truly eye-clean or it has durability problems. Always have a stone checked by an independent appraiser. The points on a princess cut can be especially fragile.

I know people who like their I color diamonds in platinum. I would probably notice the color difference and would not be pleased. You would have to check this out on your own and see if it bothers you.

Hope that helps. :)

VampireX02

Rough_Rock
I know for me, when shopping for a diamond recently, I could definately see color in an I. There was no question in my mind. I could also see slight color in the H on a white background. G to me was pretty much colorless. I decided to go with H only because it was the lowest color that was acceptable to me, and it allowed me to pump up some of the other areas of the stone.

Just go in and compare some physical diamonds. That will give you the best idea of how low you're willing to go on the color scale.

mtnclimber69

Rough_Rock
I just got back from a local jeweler here in San Francisco. I compared 4 stones.

All of them happened to be EGL, stock on hand.

SI1/H, SI1/G, VS2/H, VS1/G

Strangely the SI1/H stuck out as having the most fire and brilliance, probably due in part to the cut, since it had the lowest %'s. It did look very slightly yellow to me as well, but somehow that same tint also made it seem to have the most character to me.

The VS1/G was the obvious choice if you wanted the better quality stone in terms of it being clear and colorless, however it also seemed to have lost something in terms of life compared to the other stone...

Just like grading and certifying stones I am sure it boils down to personal opinion.

Cheers!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Cut will be the biggest factor in brilliance, fire and scintillation. Remember that when you are looking at an EGL H, GIA or AGS may have graded that stone at an I or a J. Some EGL franchises are said to be closer to GIA and AGS grading than others. Clarity grading is also affected. Make sure you know what you are buying and get what you pay for.

Also, ask to see the diamonds in natural lighting away from the jewelry store spots. Look at the diamonds outside and in dim lighting.

There are many people who love the warmer color diamonds and say that they have better fire. My dear friend has an I color eightstar mounted in an incredible matte yellow gold custom setting made by Steve Livingston of www.demsjewelers.com. He posts here from time to time as StevL. The diamond is absolutely gorgeous. The president of eightstar wears a K color diamond (which does not look like a K due to its excellent cut). It is amazing!

Buy what the wearer will like! It doesn't matter what anyone else likes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results