shape
carat
color
clarity

Class 1a cut??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whirled

Rough_Rock
Hi! I just got my e-ring appraised (for insurance purposes). Clarity is SI2 (not visible by eye, tho), color is G and cut is Ideal - Class 1a. What is this? I''ve looked online at several different web sites about the cut, but haven''t come across a class 1a yet. Not sure what this means. The stone is round, but not a typical brilliant cut. I''m not sure what it''s called, but it has a lot more facets. The appraisal price came out to be more than I thought it would be -- $4500 for a .59 ct. solitare. Total weight of ring is 3.90 gm. 18k gold, platinum prong. The appraiser said the cut was very well done and does a great job adding to the fire. Can a cut really impact the price so much, even tho the diamond is SI2? My fiance won''t tell me exactly how much he paid for it, but it was in the upper 2K. Is it appropriate for appraisals to be so much more? Sorry if I sound really naive! This is my first diamond!!
4.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Whirled,

The place where you will fine cut class 1A is:

http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt1.htm

Some appraisers like to double the wholesale price of an item because it makes the owner of the jewelry feel good and think they got a good deal. The appraiser is supposed to appraise the item at the price you expect to pay in a retail jewelry store in your area. If jewelry stores in your area are asking and getting double for their items, they are doing much better than other jewelry stores throughout the rest of the country.

whirled

Rough_Rock
Thanks dimonbob! The ring was bought in Johnstown, Pennsylvania and I had it appraised in Columbia, Maryland.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thats interesting, your stone is a modified round brilliant with extra facets...possibly like a Leo diamond? I didn't know that the AGA chart for RB's included the extra faceted stones within its grading system? Thought it was only for the 57/58 faceted stones? Maybe I was just really off!
1.gif

Congrats on what sounds like a great appraisal. Diamonds can appraise for more $ than paid for, but also many times appraisals are inflated for retail and/or insurance purposes. Your diamond is technically worth what your FI paid, as that is the value he could replace it for if he went into the store today and bought it again. But it's always nice to feel like you got a great deal. 1a is nothing to scoff at!

whirled

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara!
I was told the cut of this diamond has some "fancy" name -- I think it might be called Gabriella? Or that might be the design of the ring! lol... My fiance bought the stone and the ring w/o my knowledge (so it was a surprise), so he didn't quite get all the information. I'm the more scrupulous buyer -- ask a bunch of questions, do a lot of investigation, etc. I'm not even sure how many facets it has... in fact, I should probably try to go to the store he bought it in and ask them (though it's a 3 hour drive -- phoo!).
1.gif

You mentioned the AGA chart, but I don't know if this was graded by them. I wish he came to this web site before he bought the stone/ring -- he might have asked for more information! But we were told at the store that we can always trade the stone back in (and get the same value as he bought it) when upgrading. When it comes to that time, I'll make sure he checks out this site!!
9.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Whirled!!!!!!! Are you talking about Gabrielle Diamonds?? These are cut by a very well known cutter, mr Tolkowsky and look quite beautiful in my opinion!! Congrats!!!!!
appl.gif
appl.gif
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGA has graded a few of the Gabrielle cut modified rounds. They were very well cut and attractive. I can't recall if we graded them 1A cut class or not, but they were lovely.

I do not think they would perform up to the very best with an Ideal-Scope. The extra facets are sparkly, but create some leakage issues possibly.

whirled

Rough_Rock
Giangi, yes, I suppose it is the Gabrielle! Thanks for the info on the cutter! Boy, i'm learning more and more on this site! I think it sparkles beautifully, too. Today I finally noticed one of the inclusions with my eye! (It is an SI2 stone). But you have to look really closely under the right light. Head on, you won't see it, you have to tilt it at an angle. Looks like a feather or cloud... but the way the ring is cut really hides it since it took me about 3 months of careful looking to find it (and after an appraisal).

And, Oldminer, I've been able to compare this cut with a brilliant round unmodified. It does reflect the light differently. I think the unmodified brilliants tend to spread the sparkle out more whereas this cut seems to focus it tighter in the middle? I don't know if this makes any sense..
9.gif
But it certainly shines differently!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results