shape
carat
color
clarity

Clasp for a leather necklace?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this cool necklace from an antique store. It was tied together but I obviously could not wear it without untying the knot! And I don’t fancy wearing it by tying it each time. Any ideas for a clasp that I could put on?

thanks! 7C7FE425-2BB2-4BB8-9696-AFF5A74398F6.jpeg

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I bought this cool necklace from an antique store. It was tied together but I obviously could not wear it without untying the knot! And I don’t fancy wearing it by tying it each time. Any ideas for a clasp that I could put on?

thanks! 7C7FE425-2BB2-4BB8-9696-AFF5A74398F6.jpeg

I would have the end bead removed from the short side & added to the long side as that would give you more leather to play with & have a jeweler attach a silver clasp like a toggle

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have the end bead removed from the short side & added to the long side as that would give you more leather to play with & have a jeweler attach a silver clasp like a toggle

Good idea, I hadn’t even considered that!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Leather is plentiful in bead stores, as is cord, jute, silk cord etc. I'd replace the cord as it looks like it could be brittle and fragile. It won't be hard to reknot and most bead shops also carry different kinds of clasps for leather. Some you glue in, glue in plus pinch with pliers (better). You can get base metal (brass) or sterling silver.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leather is plentiful in bead stores, as is cord, jute, silk cord etc. I'd replace the cord as it looks like it could be brittle and fragile. It won't be hard to reknot and most bead shops also carry different kinds of clasps for leather. Some you glue in, glue in plus pinch with pliers (better). You can get base metal (brass) or sterling silver.

Hmm you’re not wrong. It probably would benefit from a new leather cord. That being said... I suck at crafts. Any time I have ever restrung something, I’ve ended up never wearing it.
Glue in plus pinch sounds good! Can I use super glue / crazy glue? Any suggestions for where I could buy a clasp like this online? Or a picture of what it looks like? I’m not going into stores these days.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'll take some photos of clasps for you...hang on.

The above is good for gluing after they're pinched into clasps. I'm not a fan of glue alone...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@pearaffair here are 2 examples of clasps. They're very small but come in much larger sizes. You insert the leather cord 2 different ways: one in a hole in the end and one laid in, but both are clamped down and then glued for extra hold. Then a simple clasp can be put on one end and a ring on the other (where the loop is at the end). Try Etsy. There are many Canadian bead suppliers there, altho their names escape me right now. Alternatively call your local bead shop and do curbside? 20201018_113139.jpg

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
If your not interested in doing it yourself, take it to your local bead shop as opposed to a jeweler IMO. They'll have the supplies and almost all do renos AND personally I'd add in some sterling silver donut beads, or a large silver bead to add some contrast. It's a lovely bohochic style necklace!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair here are 2 examples of clasps. They're very small but come in much larger sizes. You insert the leather cord 2 different ways: one in a hole in the end and one laid in, but both are clamped down and then glued for extra hold. Then a simple clasp can be put on one end and a ring on the other (where the loop is at the end). Try Etsy. There are many Canadian bead suppliers there, altho their names escape me right now. Alternatively call your local bead shop and do curbside? 20201018_113139.jpg

This picture is so helpful, thank you!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your not interested in doing it yourself, take it to your local bead shop as opposed to a jeweler IMO. They'll have the supplies and almost all do renos AND personally I'd add in some sterling silver donut beads, or a large silver bead to add some contrast. It's a lovely bohochic style necklace!!

I can’t wait to model this necklace! It’s so cool. Clay beads I think. I really want to wear it! Thanks for the ideas, I’ll see what I can come up with. I wish I had a local bead shop!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I can’t wait to model this necklace! It’s so cool. Clay beads I think. I really want to wear it! Thanks for the ideas, I’ll see what I can come up with. I wish I had a local bead shop!

@pearaffair. I can send you some supplies if you want? I have a few bead shops here and 3 more days off from work. I could source out some if you like, or take pics and let you know the contacts? I know 2 that do online ordering, altho one is really high end and $$. This necklace can and should be done inexpensively IMO. The one I'm thinking of has base metal clasps (brass and other lower end metals) and sterling silver. Both would look great. No worries if you've got your own plan on the go :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm you’re not wrong. It probably would benefit from a new leather cord. That being said... I suck at crafts. Any time I have ever restrung something, I’ve ended up never wearing it.
Glue in plus pinch sounds good! Can I use super glue / crazy glue? Any suggestions for where I could buy a clasp like this online? Or a picture of what it looks like? I’m not going into stores these days.

I used exterior pva from the hardwear store (because i worked there) and i figured what's the difference between rain and the shower
PVA much cheaper at hardwear stores than craft stores
This is on round leather cord but you can get findings for either type
1603057240765684497418.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair. I can send you some supplies if you want? I have a few bead shops here and 3 more days off from work. I could source out some if you like, or take pics and let you know the contacts? I know 2 that do online ordering, altho one is really high end and $$. This necklace can and should be done inexpensively IMO. The one I'm thinking of has base metal clasps (brass and other lower end metals) and sterling silver. Both would look great. No worries if you've got your own plan on the go :)

Oh man, I love you for even offering! If your own life is not too busy or crazy, I would totally take you up on this! I would send you some bucks for the cost and your trouble! I have a newborn so getting things done is a hilarious challenge ;-)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh man, I love you for even offering! If your own life is not too busy or crazy, I would totally take you up on this! I would send you some bucks for the cost and your trouble! I have a newborn so getting things done is a hilarious challenge ;-)

Okay then :)
What's the best way to contact you directly? People do it via Loupetroop I'm told. I'm pretty useless at online stuff. Do you have an account there we can exchange contact info?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay then :)
What's the best way to contact you directly? People do it via Loupetroop I'm told. I'm pretty useless at online stuff. Do you have an account there we can exchange contact info?

Yes I think if you search ringmaven or pearaffair on LT you should be able to find me :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results