shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kchong2

Rough_Rock
I just got a AGS diamond that is SI2 in clarity. Though I was told that you need 10x magnification to see the inclusions, I definately see "gold-colored" flakes in a few spots clearly....

Also, when they say that you need 10x magnifacation, does this mean that you won''t be able to see the difference without magnification? Help...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Generally, with an "eye clean" SI diamond, the inclusions are not visible to the naked eye. The clarity grade was assigned using 10X magnification viewed in the face up position. Even tho the diamond may be "eye clean" face up, inclusions may be seen thru the pavillion or side of the diamond.

In most cases, the casual observer won't see the inclusions. Owners of some SI diamonds see inclusions as they become familiar with the diamond over time and know the location(s) of the inclusions.

Is it possible the gold color you are seeing is sparkle from the cut??? Maybe a reflection of the setting metal color???

If you are not happy with the inclusions, you should address the issue with the Vendor before your return/refund period expires.
1.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
The grading system doesn't say whether or not things can be found at 10X, it states how easy or difficult it is to find the inclusions when looking at 10x.

I believe that FL and IF are the only grades where inclusions can't be seen at 10x.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In some(not all)instances,also depending on the size of the stone, si2 quality is on the border line of an si3, Or G.I.A.-I1 quality which means that if you have a sharp eye you will be able to see some of the inclusions with the naked eye.In those situations it's really up to the vendor to explain to you the imperfections ,and where they are situated.
If you are really concerned with quality, you should drop in color and go for a better quality.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Gold color flakes' does not sound like anythig I remember fromamong diamond inclusions, hands down. Is the stone mounted? Could it posibly be calrity enhanced so what you see are the traces of filler? I really have no idea.

As for the other part, yeah.. any clarity grade above I1 can be eye clean face-up, simply because clarity grading is done under 10X magnification. In any diamond, inclusions are easier to spot from the sides or bottom-up - since the sparkle of the stone does not get in the way as much from those angles. However, once mounted, the sides of the stones are very litle exposed and the bottom never seen again... so I am not very sure why it may be important to spot inclusions from these unusual ventage points. In consequence, it is imposible to tell apart 'eye clean' clarity grades in mounted stones. There may be no difference at all between VS and IF stones without lots of attentions and magnification. You may be able to spot something in an SI stone - but again, MAYBE (depending on what and where the inclusions are, how big the stone is and such).

You may want to see some descriptions of inclusions and their appearence, maybe this helps. (Here: WWW esp. the 'Gallery of Inclusions')

Hope this is not even more confusing...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results