shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity: VS2 has a carbon spot, what does GIA label this?

thelostchin

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers!

Does anyone know what the GIA calls a black carbon spot on the report? My e-ring diamond is a VS2 and the diagram plot shows there is a cloud in the table and when I looked under magnification for the first time, it's a black carbon spot! There's not any other inclusions besides that big one...I actually can't see if with the naked eye. I just want to make sure it is the correct stone that matches the report since I thought that a cloud is white-ish.

Better yet, does anyone have an example of their GIA report with carbon spots on it?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Re: Clarity: VS2 has a carbon spot, what does GIA label this

thelostchin|1313859707|2995060 said:
I just want to make sure it is the correct stone that matches the report

Is there a number inscribed on the stone?

thelostchin

Rough_Rock

There is the GIA inscribed # on the stone, but I've been told that that can also be done by anyone if they wanted to sell you a fake. That's what I'm a little worried about. I'd feel a bit better if I knew what the GIA typically calls a carbon spot on the report.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nope, there is no inclusions labeled as a carbon spot, can be a crystal, cloud or pinpoint. If in doubt, check with an appraiser.

Post the GIA report number and carat weight.

JimG

Rough_Rock

Why do you think it's carbon?

-Jim

JimG

Rough_Rock

Why do you think it's carbon?

-Jim

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can you post the lab report??

thelostchin

Rough_Rock

The report number is below for my stone:
GIA REPORT NUMBER: 2131043540, 1.38 carats
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm

So I guess it sounds like it's not something I should worry about? I was just worried about the stone not matching the report and being given a lesser quality stone than what we intended to get.

Not sure if its carbon, but it is a dark black looking speck that I saw under the magnification when I took my stone to be cleaned. I asked to look at it prior to giving it to them to clean to ensure I got the same one back.

thelostchin

Rough_Rock

bump

anyone that can confirm? i'm still a little worried the stone doesn't match the gia cert :confused: . thanks!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

thelostchin|1313901178|2995475 said:
bump

anyone that can confirm? i'm still a little worried the stone doesn't match the gia cert :confused: . thanks!

Clouds are largely collections of pinpoints. The clarity plot shows three grade-setting clouds. It's possible that one of them gets dense and concentrated enough to create what you're seeing under magnification. So yes, it's certainly possible that the diamond and the report are a match... But every diamond is different and the answers you have received already are as far as anyone can go without examining the diamond firsthand.

If you have a chance to examine it again under a microscope you may wish to view it through the side; to see if the characteristic looks more cloud-like from that angle. Other ways to match a diamond to a report include precise carat weight, color grade, spread/depth measurements, confirmation of primary angle averages, presence/strength of fluorescence & finish grades. Some of these require the diamond to be unmounted but others can be performed even when mounted in a setting.

I would say that it would be extremely rare for a reputable jeweler to risk his/her hard-earned standing in the community with something as petty as diamond-swapping. With that said, there are bad apples in every profession so caution is understandable. If you are seeing other flags - carat weight or color in particular - you may wish to consult an independent appraiser who can assess the diamond with you.

darren

Rough_Rock

Your diamond has an inscription on the girdle. If you have a steady hand and a good loupe you should be able to see it. This would make matching the stone to the GIA cert 100%.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

darren|1314149421|2997881 said:
Your diamond has an inscription on the girdle. If you have a steady hand and a good loupe you should be able to see it. This would make matching the stone to the GIA cert 100%.

I think OP is worried that -- if there is an inscriptions -- that it could be added by anyone to an unmarked stone.

Thelostchin - which vendor did you get your stone from? Why are you worried they'd inscribe it inaccurately?

thelostchin

Rough_Rock

centralsquare|1314156341|2997977 said:

I think OP is worried that -- if there is an inscriptions -- that it could be added by anyone to an unmarked stone.

Thelostchin - which vendor did you get your stone from? Why are you worried they'd inscribe it inaccurately?

That's exactly it! :???: so I bought it from a jeweler in the LA jewelry district. He said he get's the diamond from a trusted dealer. but you know, these days...you never can be "too" cautious. I'm just one of those cautious and worried people I'll get ripped off. and I wasn't so worried until now since the black spot in the ring we saw. I just want to be sure we bought the same ring as the one on paper

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

thelostchin|1314156556|2997982 said:
centralsquare|1314156341|2997977 said:

That's exactly it! :???: so I bought it from a jeweler in the LA jewelry district. He said he get's the diamond from a trusted dealer. but you know, these days...you never can be "too" cautious. I'm just one of those cautious and worried people I'll get ripped off. and I wasn't so worried until now since the black spot in the ring we saw. I just want to be sure we bought the same ring as the one on paper

could you bring it to an appraiser to check?

mrsjacob

Shiny_Rock

Couldn't someone also verify the measurements?

thelostchin

Rough_Rock

I have an appt to see an independent appraiser I found from the appraiser resources on this site this weekend. I've just been trying to find some information to get me through the week because I've been so anxious about it. Thanks everyone for your input! I'll let you know what the turn out is.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

thelostchin|1314165314|2998070 said:
I have an appt to see an independent appraiser I found from the appraiser resources on this site this weekend. I've just been trying to find some information to get me through the week because I've been so anxious about it. Thanks everyone for your input! I'll let you know what the turn out is.

Glad you're going to an appraiser ... it's really your best bet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results