shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity vs. Cut & Polish

carlitosway

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I’m just looking for your advise and expertise. I’ve gone to a high end jeweler to buy an engagement ring. The one I chose was 1.5 carats, G VS1, cut grade: excellent, polish grade: excellent. But because they discovered a fault the sales person has replaced it with another one stone: 1.5 carat, G VVS2, cut grade: very good, polish: very good.

Basically,

VS1, cut: excellent, polish: excellent

has been replaced with:

VVS2, cut: very good, polish: very good

They're claiming that the new stone is of superior quality and of higher value as its VVS2 but I’m not so sure as the cut and polish is inferior. What do you think?

Thanks

Carl

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nooo! Stick with your excellent cut. You will only see the difference in clarity with a loupe. You will see the difference in cut with your naked eye when it doesn't sparkle as much.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Carl,
First question- what shape stone are we talking about?
Second question- who is assigning these grades?
If it's not GIA, throw them out the window ( probably best not to also throw the diamonds out:)

carlitosway

Rough_Rock
Hi - thanks for your replies. I think the first (excellent cut) stone looked better but I picked up the replacement in a rush and didnt really pay much attention (girlfriend was nearby). Now the sale person is insisting that the second stone is a more expensive and superior stone. I feel like I'm being ripped off.

It's a brilliant round cut diamond and the certification is by GIA...

Carl

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have the GIA report numbers for each diamond? If nothing else post the GIA report number for the one you have and people will tell you just how bad or good it is.

Also what fault did they discover with the first one? Sounds like a bait and switch to me.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Without a doubt, a seller needing to switch a stone like that is problematic- for them.
You're able to go anywhere to buy- and they have taken an action that caused you to loose faith in them.

I personally have found many GIA VG cut grade stones that I preferred to other GIA EX cut grade stones- that part is not necessarily a deal breaker. But by breaking the trust, it sours the deal for you IMO......

Since you're here- try looking at the PS diamond search function to see what similar stones cost online. The store is not going to like that one....

carlitosway

Rough_Rock
Hi Rockdiamond,

I have totally lost faith in them! I will check out the PS search but in your opinion do you think:

- VVS2, cut: very good, polish: very good

should cost more than

- VS1, cut: excellent, polish: excellent

Basically she is saying that VVS2 replacement stone has a higher value therefore I am getting a better deal and that I should stop complaining, essentially.

Thanks

Carl

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree- stop complaining and go elsewhere:)

Seriously- it's not possible to make a valid assessment without looking at the stones.
There are certainly cases where a VG cut grade stone can sell for more than another EX cut grade stone- but really that's not the issue at this point.

They made an error and did not handle it well.
In today's marketplace, that's very difficult for them to make up for......

carlitosway

Rough_Rock
Its too late! I bought and paid - I only realised it was VG rather than Excellent after I left and the sales person didnt tell me before paying. I can make a fuss, complain and get it dealt with, just wondering if its worth while.

Anyway, appreciate your advice. Just so people know, the vendor was Graff and I will never purchase from them again! Shitty service with a smile.

Carl

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
wow....just curious, if you don;t mind me asking...
did you get a money back guarantee?
Not that I'm saying you should definitely return, just morbid ( and professional) curiousity

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truly rounds shady. So sorry this happened to you. I hope some attorneys would chime I bc that is what I would be thinking RIGHT NOW!!

Speedie

Rough_Rock
carlitosway|1447971851|3951861 said:
Its too late! I bought and paid - I only realised it was VG rather than Excellent after I left and the sales person didnt tell me before paying. I can make a fuss, complain and get it dealt with, just wondering if its worth while.

Anyway, appreciate your advice. Just so people know, the vendor was Graff and I will never purchase from them again! Shitty service with a smile.

Carl

With the caveat that I wasn't there, the part in bold tells me all that I need to know. If it was truly a superior and more valuable stone, any salesperson worth his/her salt would have made sure that you knew so that you could be thrilled with your "upgrade" as you handed over your money. To not inform you of the switch before you paid is bordering on fraud IMHO and that's not a word that I use lightly.

Personally I would return it regardless as I refuse to do business with unethical people and companies. You paid for A and got B, and weren't even informed of it as you were metaphorically bent over the counter. Unreal.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ +1

craiguk

Rough_Rock
I'd be heading straight back to the store if it was me.

The reason of 'I've already bought it' isn't really an excuse. If US consumer laws are anything like the UK you have buyer protection. Let alone the fact that you've been sold something you didn't actually know you were buying. That would be against the law over here and I'm pretty certain it would be in the US too.

As has been said its all about faith and the seller has done something dubious to me. Return it before it eats away at you - which it will.

miraj

Rough_Rock
Graff has a reputation to protect. Call to ask about a satisfaction guarantee or return policy - I couldn't find anything online.

VVS2 replacement stone has a higher value therefore I am getting a better deal

I can see how a VVS2 is more expensive than a similar VS1 - you are paying for the rarity of the clarity. But if you are more concerned about the cut than the clarity, then the price doesn't line up with how you value the stone. It might be a better deal in terms of market price, but not in terms of what you are looking for.

carlitosway

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone. I dont see anything in the paperwork about a money back guarantee but I'm sure if I made a fuss they would take it back. They did mention at the time that an exchange was possible.

I will probably still use the ring for the proposal as I'm doing it soon but I will consider taking it back after. They even engraved it with G VS1 which is incorrect so I have to take it back anyway!

Never again will I buy from Graff. Absolutely terrible service.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
carlitosway|1448032372|3952083 said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I dont see anything in the paperwork about a money back guarantee but I'm sure if I made a fuss they would take it back. They did mention at the time that an exchange was possible.

I will probably still use the ring for the proposal as I'm doing it soon but I will consider taking it back after. They even engraved it with G VS1 which is incorrect so I have to take it back anyway!

Never again will I buy from Graff. Absolutely terrible service.
Given how much Graff charges for some of its pieces, I would expect customer service to be exemplary...

Did you buy it on a credit card? You should have protection built into that if they fail to bring the matter to your preferred conclusion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results