shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity variations among diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

banzai

Rough_Rock
How come there are wide variations within clarity definitions given by GIA?

For instance, I saw the other day a VS1 which only had 3 pinpoints. One on the table closer to the edge and two on the pavillion side.

I''ve also seen a VVS2 and sometimes a VVS1 with the same number of pinpoints, albeit in slight different locations.

Recently, I''ve seen a VS2 with only one blemish, a crystal in the table very near center. Other times, I have seen VS2 with clouds, crystals, and feathers!

Does the location/type of inclusion matter greatly for A. the rating, and B. visual appeal?

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
The location of an inclusion can play a mojor role
in clarity grading.

For instance, If an inclusion, lets say were dead center under the table of the stone received a Si2 rating. Lets say the same inclusion were located off to the side away from the table, it may receive an Si1.

These are judgement calls made by the gemologists whom grade the stones.

There are several other factors to take into account, but I think you get the general idea.

Kirk

Architect

Rough_Rock
Also,
Please take into consideration that the size of the inclusions is a major factor when grading a diamond. Two diamonds can have the same number of inclusions, such as 3 crystals each, but one of the diamonds inclusions can be significantly bigger resulting in a poorer grade quality. For diamonds, the size, type, and location of incluisons are what determine it's grade.

banzai

Rough_Rock
If the inclusion is dead center vs the same size/type of inclusion that is let's say somewhere off-center, does it..

1. Have a major effect on brilliance and return of light?

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
If you have for example a small cloud right in the middle of the stone
but it's so small that the stone is a VS1, by no chance it will
ever affect the light performance of the stone.

Trichrome.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results