shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrianHP

Rough_Rock
Hello,I didn't notice anything in the tutorial concerning inclusions on the table. Is there a problem with inclusions hurting the brillance of a stone when they are on the table?Thanks,
Brian

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Brian an inclusion under the table will be smaller than that in a stone with the same rating where the inclusion is placed off to one side.
ie a VS 2 mark in a table could be graded VS 1 in the crown facets.I believe some testing was done in Europe many years ago that showed that inclusions had no measurable effect until they were at I2 of more. This might be an experiment people could attempt with the brilliancescope by drawing a dot on the outside and running a number of stones with different sized dots?
I have never been able to detect any drop off in brilliance with even good I1's
Garry Holloway

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Brian,I will defer to an expert here-I suppose you wouldn't want to see the inclusion and you wouldn't want any that would reflect (some inclusions appear dark). I was once sent an SI1 stone to see if I wanted to purchase it. When I took it out in the sunlight, I saw 3 dark, round spots in the diamond. Needless to say, I sent it back. In general, I believe, the higher the grade, the smaller the inclusions. You can get a good SI1, you just have to be picky.Most people seem to prefer inclusions off to the side, where they can be hidden and no feathers/cleavages that could break the surface/become a durability issue (during setting and afterward).lawmax

ring.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results