shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity Grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BurtDiesel

Rough_Rock
Will a VS2 always be eye clean as long as it is a GIA / AGS certified diamond? Has anyone ever encountered a diamond graded by one of these agencies as a VS2 that wasnt eye clean? Is it worth the extra money to go up to a VS1?

BTW I am looking in the 1 to 1.5 carat range (not sure if they are less stringent on larger stones on their crarity grading)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 9:58:10 PM
Author:BurtDiesel
Will a VS2 always be eye clean as long as it is a GIA / AGS certified diamond? Has anyone ever encountered a diamond graded by one of these agencies as a VS2 that wasnt eye clean? Is it worth the extra money to go up to a VS1?

BTW I am looking in the 1 to 1.5 carat range (not sure if they are less stringent on larger stones on their crarity grading)
I wouldn''t because whatever you might see would be sooooooo negligible. I have a VS2 stone that is a very high VS2 (appraiser said VS1) graded by GIA and I have yet to have ONE jeweler be able to find the inclusion under the table with only 10x. I can''t find it and I can tell you I''ve tried for MONTHS. I thought I saw it once. But it was lint LOL If you have a very very low VS2 stone it might act like an SI1 stone but probably a very GOOD and eyeclean SI1 stone. I wouldn''t pay more for that - just double check if you''re concerned by asking.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
non eye-clean VS2s are 1/thousands (probably) unless you are quite myopic.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I think many times it does depend on the size of the stone.

As stones get larger, you can find that the labs, get SOMETIMES "easier" ( or maybe better expressed as " more forgiving") with the clarity grading.

Rockdoc

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Really depends on your eyesite. Some people are so eagle-eyed they can pick out inclusions in almost all VS2s. For the vast majority of us, they will be 100% eye clean. You can also consider SI1. Many of these are also eye clean.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Because of the large subjective nature of the term "eye-clean" you can occasionally find a VS2 with a legitimate lab grading document that you, personally, feel is not totally eye clean. Still, within the general context of what the trade takes the term to mean, such occurences are to be expected on a rare basis.

If you look at the Whiteflash definition of the term and use that as a guide, then you will likely find the stones Whiteflash grades as eye-clean are acceptably free of eye visible inclusions to nearly every normal observer. The trade, in general, does not use a defined set of terms or a standardized terminology.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/23/2007 11:41:15 PM
Author: RockDoc
I think many times it does depend on the size of the stone.

As stones get larger, you can find that the labs, get SOMETIMES ''easier'' ( or maybe better expressed as '' more forgiving'') with the clarity grading.

Rockdoc
I also agree with you on this point.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results