shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity Grade Characteristics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kantonburg

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I''ve been lurking a few days but have hopefully a simple question. When it comes to clarity grade characteristics. What should you avoid? I''ve found a few stones that I like but one says "Crystal" and the other says "Crystal, Cloud, Feather"

Great site by the way. This place will be helpful.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 1:32:19 PM
Author:kantonburg
Hello everyone,

I''ve been lurking a few days but have hopefully a simple question. When it comes to clarity grade characteristics. What should you avoid? I''ve found a few stones that I like but one says ''Crystal'' and the other says ''Crystal, Cloud, Feather''

Well, I am no expert but I would want to make sure that none of these inclusions/flaws are "eye visible." If you cant see them, then no one will know that they are there, unless you tell them.

And, I would say the feather would be the most dangerous, which from what I read is an internal crack.

kantonburg

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

I''m looking at GIA reports online from a few vendors. I wasn''t sure if there were markings for say black specs vs white or anything you should really really avoid.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2007 1:55:27 PM
Author: MWG

Date: 2/19/2007 1:32:19 PM
Author:kantonburg
Hello everyone,

I''ve been lurking a few days but have hopefully a simple question. When it comes to clarity grade characteristics. What should you avoid? I''ve found a few stones that I like but one says ''Crystal'' and the other says ''Crystal, Cloud, Feather''

Well, I am no expert but I would want to make sure that none of these inclusions/flaws are ''eye visible.'' If you cant see them, then no one will know that they are there, unless you tell them.

And, I would say the feather would be the most dangerous, which from what I read is an internal crack.

If you use the search tool, you can type in each type of inclusion as each is an interesting subject in itself. Feathers aren''t always a problem, it depends on the location, whether surface reaching etc. Also the clarity grade itself can be telling, for example a feather mentioned recently in a VVS2 clarity grade would be very very unlikely to be a problem, in some lower clarities it might possibly be, but it depends very much on the individual diamond.

Crystals are fine, a cloud might reduce brilliance in an SI2 clarity if this was the grade setting inclusion, otherwise they are not a problem.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was searching I was very concerned with any inclusions that "broke the surface." I thought of that as a crack or feather that was open at the diamond''s surface. You probably need to ask about that at the appraiser. BUT if it made it through the diamond cutting process it''s probably not a big deal.

Otherwise I don''t think one type of inclusion is worse than another, as long as the stone is eyeclean.

kantonburg

Rough_Rock
When dealing with online vendors, what is the best way to determine if the stone is eye-clean or not?

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 4:28:01 PM
Author: kantonburg
When dealing with online vendors, what is the best way to determine if the stone is eye-clean or not?

The best way is to ask them.

You can''t really tell by pictures...although it can give you a good idea. The one I bought was a VS2 and it had a black crystal right in the table. It is eye clean, however...I''ve had 4 people look at it so far. If you''d like to get an idea

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=939103

On the right click magnified image. You can see it fairly well at 11x and it''s huge at 22. I am a firm believer in that the more fire and brilliance the stone gives off, the harder it is to see any inclusions.

kantonburg

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 4:39:14 PM
Author: Unearthed

Date: 2/19/2007 4:28:01 PM
Author: kantonburg

The best way is to ask them.

You can't really tell by pictures...although it can give you a good idea. The one I bought was a VS2 and it had a black crystal right in the table. It is eye clean, however...I've had 4 people look at it so far. If you'd like to get an idea

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=939103

On the right click magnified image. You can see it fairly well at 11x and it's huge at 22. I am a firm believer in that the more fire and brilliance the stone gives off, the harder it is to see any inclusions.

I've spoken with Jennifer at James Allen pretty much all day via email. The stone in question has these stats:

Shape: Princess
Cut: Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 72.8%
Table: 68%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Ratio: 1.01

The only thing that concerned me was on the report the Clarity Characteristic said Chip. I emailed her back and she gave the following response.

Good Afternoon,
You are most welcome. A chip is a small or shallow opening usually on the girdle edge and this diamond being a VS-1 in clarity, assures you that this blemish will not affect the durability of this diamond or be visible without the aid of magnification. This chip is located near the girdle on the pavilion of this diamond. Because this diamond is not part of our in house inventory, an image is not readily available at this time. We can bring this diamond in to have the magnified image taken for a fee of $25.00. This fee will be waived if a purchase is made.

I have no problem whatsoever paying the fee if it's worth it to view the stone online. Or should I take a different approach?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results