shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity grade affect brilliance and sparkle?

Tuxtax

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am wondering if clarity grade like a VS2 will affect brilliance and sparkle? Will it affect how light reflects in a diamond?

I just saw a diamond today that I like in a VS2 F color diamond, but I saw with a loupe things like clouds, pinpoints, crystals, and needles. However it looked eye clean.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the vast majority of cases, GIA graded VS2 stones will be eye-clean, and have no ill effects on the brilliance. Of course, when it's your money on the line, you want to make sure, I understand. No one can answer your question without personally inspecting the stone., Statistically, you're safe.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe cut affects brilliance and sparkle more than any other factor. However, there are certain characteristics that can affect the transparency in a VS2 clarity grade. Some examples are clouds, graining, twinning wisps, and fluorescence. They don't always cause a problem, but they could. You said it looked eye clean to you, so that's a good sign. How did the transparency look? Do you have the opportunity to compare that diamond to others to see if there is a difference? It can get a little complicated, so I hope some of the experts will provide more info. Hope this helped.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do believe that some of this gets......un-necessarily overcomplicated....I'm sure we can find outliers....but the vast majority of VS2 diamonds won't have these issues- and to really be an issue, you'd need to be able to see it.
I agree, it's important to look at more than one diamond...but your eyes will guide you.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@Tuxtax

to me, generally, a vs2, will usually, not impact brilliance and sparkle. it is the cut of the diamond that determines it's brilliance and sparkle as @Diamond Girl 21
has already said.

however, ive found more than a few vs2 diamonds, are not eye clean, to me. I will include an example

i don't believe an inclusion like that will affect the brilliance or sparkle of such an exceptionally cut stone but it is not "eye clean"

always a good idea to personally see for yourself what you consider to be "eye clean"

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a VS2 with the second inclusion being a cloud off to the side of the table (no notes regarding additional clouds not shown or the dreaded ”clarity based on clouds not shown”). Under a 30x loupe, the cloud looks hideous! But only every so often and at a very certain angle under high magnification of my phone camera can I see it otherwise. And I never see any I’ll affects from it in normal viewing conditions. I had a VVS2 diamond with inclusions that looked somewhat ominous under 30x loupe, but was completely eye clean. Long story short, loupes make inclusions look scary! :lol:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To the essence of the question....does the clarity grade affect brilliance and sparkle?
No. The specific grade does not have any association with dullness in particular.
I'm not saying a stone of a given clarity grade might not include characteristics that result in a lack of sparkle/brilliance- but it's not directly associated with the specific clarity grade.
IOW- say we find an SI2 that suffers from dullness- they certainly exist.
That does not mean SI2 is a "cloudy" grade.
We can also find I1 diamonds with no perceptible difference in brilliance/sparkle even when compared to another stone, cut exactly as well, in a much higher clarity grade. An I1 can actually look- to the naked eye- like an IF

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The most important answer comes after you say how big the diamond is. Is it fluorecent?
Avoid clouds as the only grade maker and question when clouds are the main grade maker.
I prefer to be able to just see a VS2 with great difficulty in a diamond over 4ct than have a dull diamond.

1600822836417.png 1600822836417.png

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi,

I am wondering if clarity grade like a VS2 will affect brilliance and sparkle? Will it affect how light reflects in a diamond?

I just saw a diamond today that I like in a VS2 F color diamond, but I saw with a loupe things like clouds, pinpoints, crystals, and needles. However it looked eye clean.

As others have said transparency issues are not common in VS2 grade, but are possible. Especially if it is a borderline Si1 with certain combinations of clarity features.

The GIA report will give some indications of whether this is likely to be an issue. If you can post the GIA cert or cert number, you will get more detailed feedback.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These nuance details are adjusted by experienced dealers by virtue of different asking prices. The best "deal" is not always the lowest priced combination of simply weight, shape, color and clarity. It is never any particular lowest, highest or average priced stone, either. It is a free market calculation that each seller makes. It is very much personal opinion, not automatic intelligence based or totally consistent from one vendor to the next. That's why you need to shop, compare, ask questions and proactively increase your own expertise.

The deeper you get into it, the better you can assess the relative value of individual diamonds. The 4 C's give you only a good starting point, but there are important decision making elements which are not readily apparent or understood. Small things which become visibly apparent take on far more meaning than those which are increasingly less apparent. Everything counts, but how much it counts is undefined.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These nuance details are adjusted by experienced dealers by virtue of different asking prices. The best "deal" is not always the lowest priced combination of simply weight, shape, color and clarity. It is never any particular lowest, highest or average priced stone, either. It is a free market calculation that each seller makes. It is very much personal opinion, not automatic intelligence based or totally consistent from one vendor to the next. That's why you need to shop, compare, ask questions and proactively increase your own expertise.

The deeper you get into it, the better you can assess the relative value of individual diamonds. The 4 C's give you only a good starting point, but there are important decision making elements which are not readily apparent or understood. Small things which become visibly apparent take on far more meaning than those which are increasingly less apparent. Everything counts, but how much it counts is undefined.

When the Diamond Whisperer speaks it is best to pay attention. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results