shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity enhanced diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Macksimus

Rough_Rock
Are they any good? Or does the enhancement make the diamonds'' value go to crap?

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
Clarity enhanced diamonds are essentially worth what the original poorer quality diamond was worth prior to being lasered.

Macksimus

Rough_Rock
but they just look better?

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
I don''t really know a whole lot about clarity enhancement, but I don''t think there''s a point to worrying about a diamond''s value. If you ever were to sell the diamond, even if it were a great quality diamond, you''d be lucky to get 50% of what you paid for it. So just get something you really like and that''s in your budget and don''t worry about what the value is.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Woo, I had one of my stones clarity enhanced and it made a huge difference in the apearance. However, because I knew where every flaw had been I drove myself a little wacky. No one else could tell it was enhanced and it was done by Yehuda (life time guar). My hubby eventually surprised me and traded it in for a different RB.... I was recommend Yehuda but would tell you from experience I would buy a smaller better stone over an enhanced one....Just my two cents....

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2006 3:00:36 PM
Author:Macksimus
Are they any good? Or does the enhancement make the diamonds'' value go to crap?
The stones are better looking than they would be without the enhancement, but their resale value is VERY low. Nobody wants to buy somebody else''s problems.

We have one that we are selling for a client, it has been here for over two years and the only people who have ever looked at it were those I was showing it to as an example of poor cutting. A flawless stone that is poorly cut still looks horrible. I recommend you find something else if you ever want to sell or trade up.

Wink

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t recommend them for engagement rings, because the stone will be next to impossible to trade in or sell should you ever want to upgrade or get rid of it (e.g., in the event of divorce).

For fashion jewelry (studs, etc.), I don''t see anything wrong with them as long as you fully understand what you''re getting. Unfortunately, I often see misunderstandings about what "clarity enhanced" means, even in this thread.

With "Laser-drilled diamonds," a laser has been used to burn a tiny hole down to a dark inclusion, which is then bleached by acid boiling.The improvements are usually fairly minor.

With "fracture-filled" diamonds, surface-reaching cracks/fractures/cleavages have been injected with a high-lead glass in order to make them less visible. The improvements can be dramatic.

"Clarity-enhanced" usually refers to the second type, though it''s not uncommon for laser drill holes to be filled with glass as well.

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
If they''re OK for earrings, why not an engagement ring? People are possibly more likely to want to sell/upgrade earrings since there''s not as much sentimental value there. Also what is the difference, really? I assume that someone looking at clarity enhanced diamonds probably has a small-ish budget and wants to get something as big and clear-looking for the budget as possible. so if they bought a 3K stone that isn''t clarity enhanced, and ended up selling it, they might get $1,500, no? if they sold a 3K clarity enhanced diamond of a larger size and sold it, maybe they would get $900? It seems to me that the majority of the population won''t end up upgrading their ring, so if you want to get something that looks bigger for cheaper now, why not do that. And wondering about whether you''ll make an extra $500 or $1,000 on the ring if your marriage falls apart seems kind of silly too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results