shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity enhanced diamonds - does it decrease brilliance?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1331175343|3143633 said:
Because an earring box keeps the stones from rubbing against each other and against other pieces. You have to put the earrings, post first through a hole in an earring box. Even with diamonds-- most of the damage to the diamonds is from the other diamond. People don't store earrings correctly. If you do use a jewelry box, store one earring in one holder, the other in a different one. Don't store them together loose. This applies to ANY earring with a stone: colored, fake, real.
bingo!
Also the posts can and do get caught up in the prongs and people destroy settings getting them apart.
Improper storage is near the top if not the top destroyer of earrings and most other jewelery.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K said:
Because an earring box keeps the stones from rubbing against each other and against other pieces. You have to put the earrings, post first through a hole in an earring box. Even with diamonds-- most of the damage to the diamonds is from the other diamond. People don't store earrings correctly. If you do use a jewelry box, store one earring in one holder, the other in a different one. Don't store them together loose. This applies to ANY earring with a stone: colored, fake, real.
bingo!
Also the posts can and do get caught up in the prongs and people destroy settings getting them apart.
Improper storage is near the top if not the top destroyer of earrings and most other jewelery.

Very interesting!

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
AuntKiki|1331171416|3143554 said:
Karl_K|1331142644|3143019 said:
I am going to go against the grain a little and say that CE diamonds when well cut have a place on the market and I would not call them junk.
They need to be selected the same way you would a non-treated diamond.
I have seen some gross looking CE diamonds.
However well cut CZ's in a stuller quality level setting will last for decades as long as you don't throw them in a jewelery box, keep them in a earring box when not wearing them.
That is what I bought for my sister a few years ago.
Why an earring box, specifically, instead of a jewelry box?

Thank you! I never would have known this. Time to reassess my jewelry storage!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A while back I looked at a 1900s emerald gemstone ring, it was huge, nice color with just enough inclusions it was likely real.
It was nearly cut in half from rubbing against diamonds in a jewelery box for 50-60 years.
The cutter who looked at it said the only possible thing to do was either leave it or cut it into 2 stones.
Wish I had some pics.
Several oec diamonds were also badly damaged.
I about cried :{

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1331176785|3143662 said:
A while back I looked at a 1900s emerald gemstone ring, it was huge, nice color with just enough inclusions it was likely real.
It was nearly cut in half from rubbing against diamonds in a jewelery box for 50-60 years.
The cutter who looked at it said the only possible thing to do was either leave it or cut it into 2 stones.
Wish I had some pics.
Several oec diamonds were also badly damaged.
I about cried :{

I bought a pair of gorgeous OEC diamonds in earring settings and had to replace one of them entirely with a different OEC (which actually ended up a better match for the existing) because one of them was so badly damaged from improper storage. It was really sad to see the damage.

Fortunately the damaged stone went to a good home in a BGD Barbara pendant where it is safe now, and happy with it's new owner. And I'm glad it did because it was one of the nicest faceted stones I've ever seen in person.

You have to treat your jewelry well. It's not just cleaning. It's storage and having the prongs/girdles and posts and bales checked occasionally too.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1331099298|3142623 said:
There's no "vengeance" against Clarity Enhanced/Fracture-filled stones. We're just giving our opinions on what we'd choose. I think of them as "junk" to be honest. Because I've seen so many people around here show up after their stone becomes cloudy or whatnot & then it's too late. The biz seems to prey on suckers or people who don't think their partners will ever know the difference. At least people know what they're getting w/simulants! Clarity Enhanced stones are ticking timebombs in terms of appearance and "value". They also can be more vulnerable to damage. Many jewelers won't even work with them!

It was diamond and now it's a mixture of cracks and "filling" both of which are affected by the outside world as deco said so I too think of them as junk.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results