shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity enhanced diamonds - does it decrease brilliance?

peachyyyy

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

New poster here =) There's been a lot of great advice on this site, so I'm hoping for some help!

I'm looking to buy smallish diamond studs without breaking the bank. Would Yehuda clarity enhanced stones from a reputable PS vendor be ok? Or would it decrease the brilliance of the stone? Brilliance is certainly the most important factor for me, so I'd hate to lose that.

Thanks!

flippingdiamonds

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't get one. I heard they become cloudy as years go by...

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I don't know enough about clarity enhanced diamonds to answer your question about how the process affects brilliance. However, if you give us your budget and the tcw of the studs you want, maybe we can find some options within your budget that don't involve using clarity enhanced stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly would wear simulants before I'd buy clarity enhanced diamonds. The great thing about some PS vendors is that you can buy one size set now and later trade up in size if you want. So I'd personally buy good quality non-enhanced diamonds for studs.

peachyyyy

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1331087415|3142424 said:
I honestly would wear simulants before I'd buy clarity enhanced diamonds.
Wow, that is very interesting! Would you please elaborate on your thought process? In my (perhaps simplistic) view, a diamond – enhanced or not – is a diamond and is still sparkly. Whereas a cz is not. Therefore, functionally, an enhanced diamond is closer to the real thing, and the thought of the enhancement does not bother me that much.

To be clear, I am not thinking of this as an investment. Knowing me, I’ll probably lose one or both studs in a year or two!
onedrop|1331085441|3142386 said:
However, if you give us your budget and the tcw of the studs you want, maybe we can find some options within your budget that don't involve using clarity enhanced stones.
Oh, I have looked. The preset studs at WF, James Allen are out of my price range. Brian Gavin did not even bother responding to my email. I would like to spend ~$500, but don’t want to go down to 1/4ct, which seems rather sad. That poor little stud would look so desolate on my ear. So I’m hoping to go up to 0.4ct or 0.45ct.

One thing that does fit my budget is a pair of I1 J color 0.45ct studs from DiamondWave. It's not something they offer on their website but the very nice owner has agreed to work with me within my budget. Unfortunately, she's also basically told me that they won’t be eye clean.

My other option is to go with a clarity enhanced Yehuda pair at 0.40ct, VS2 I color.

If you can find anything else, would love to hear it!

TIA!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
I honestly would wear simulants before I'd buy clarity enhanced diamonds. The great thing about some PS vendors is that you can buy one size set now and later trade up in size if you want. So I'd personally buy good quality non-enhanced diamonds for studs.

Agree with this.

yialanliu

Rough_Rock
My personal opinion on studs and necklaces is that clarity isn't that important because the eye typically looks at it from a much farther distance. Thus, if the I1 is eye clean from maybe a foot away, I would buy that rather than an eye clean enhanced diamond. Also, with the smallish size, I think inclusions are generally harder to see, but I may be wrong.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think of Clarity Enhanced diamonds in the same category as simulants. They're both fakes. They serve their temporary purposes but it's not the same. However, if you think you're going to lose them in a year or two -- don't get fine jewelry.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1331089744|3142466 said:
diamondseeker2006 said:

Agree with this.

Ditto. And Moissanite, which is what I would chose over CZ or clarity enhanced, isn't a simulant. But I wouldn't buy clarity enhanced anything.

peachyyyy

Rough_Rock
Very interesting. So for everyone who would rather wear CZ than clarity enhanced, is this because you think the enhanced product is going to be an inferior quality (i.e. it will be less shiny and/or fall apart), or is it out of a sentiment/principle that you believe a diamond should be pure and unaltered?

yialanliu|1331089849|3142468 said:
My personal opinion on studs and necklaces is that clarity isn't that important because the eye typically looks at it from a much farther distance. Thus, if the I1 is eye clean from maybe a foot away, I would buy that rather than an eye clean enhanced diamond. Also, with the smallish size, I think inclusions are generally harder to see, but I may be wrong.
This is kind of what I was thinking too. So would you prefer to buy let's say 1) an I2 diamond or 2) that same I2 diamond but enhanced to VS2? Pardon my lack of knowledge, but wouldn't the rock only get better, not worse, with enhancement? Thus the use of the word enhance?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
My concern would be durability of the stone...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want brilliance get a well cut diamond.

If it's a round it's easy to find a well- cut one.
From the grading report enter four numbers into the HCA, https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
Depth
Table
Crown angle
Pavilion angle

Reject diamond that score over 2.0.
Get Idealscope pics on those that score under 2.0. https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

Compare the IS pic to this reference chart.

If it is a shape other than round use a properly-taken ASET pic to help evaluate light performance.
http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

I would never buy a clarity enhanced diamond.
Also stick with diamonds graded by GIA or AGS.
Other labs lie about the color and clarity grades so their diamonds SEEM cheaper.

using_IS_Reference_Chart_72.jpg

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
You're a new poster. The people telling you to avoid clarity enhanced stones like the plague are veterans. I STRONGLY urge you to heed their advice on this topic. I agree with the others. I'd choose a much smaller stone or just forgo buying a diamond at all over getting a clarity enhanced stone. Do some more research on CE stones and their durability and you'll see why.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want to think you are getting a "deal" by buying a poorly cut I2 clarity stone K/L color with some stuff temporary stuff injected in it to mask the inclusions, sold to you falsely as H color SI clarity.

Save up. Or buy some nice simulants.

peachyyyy

Rough_Rock
kenny|1331092435|3142526 said:
If you want brilliance get a well cut diamond.

If it's a round it's easy to find a well- cut one.
From the grading report enter four numbers into the HCA, https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
Depth
Table
Crown angle
Pavilion angle

Reject diamond that score over 2.0.
Get Idealscope pics on those that score under 2.0. https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

Compare the IS pic to this reference chart.

If it is a shape other than round use a properly-taken ASET pic to help evaluate light performance.
http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

I would never buy a clarity enhanced diamond.
Also stick with diamonds graded by GIA or AGS.
Other labs lie about the color and clarity grades so their diamonds SEEM cheaper.

This is a great resource - thanks Kenny! I'll be sure to bookmark this for the future, sometime after grad school, when I'll have a real budget =) In the meantime though, I don't think the studs in my price range ($500) even come with lab reports since they are uncertified... I am trying to guarantee a good cut by sticking with vendors that others have recommended. Anything else I should try?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some helpful threads:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-what-happened-to-my-clarity-enhanced-diamond.168193/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-what-happened-to-my-clarity-enhanced-diamond.168193/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/imperfections-on-my-clarity-enhanced-diamond-are-bothering-me.53077/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/imperfections-on-my-clarity-enhanced-diamond-are-bothering-me.53077/[/URL]

YES, the enhancements do "wear off" if they are Yehuda/fracture-filled diamonds. The Yehuda diamonds can be sent back to the manufacturer for them to re-do the treatment. But apparently they're only like 30% less than the price of unenhanced diamonds or something, so I'd just save up further and buy unenhanced, if you really want a diamond. If you would prefer to go with a diamond lookalike, there are other forums better suited for that discussion (we're not allowed to link to other forums here but they're easily findable, especially by googling some of the substitutes already offered here).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
www.diamondbistro.com Under earrings. There are studs posted every so often. When you see a nice pair, buy them.

peachyyyy

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1331097079|3142597 said:
If you want to think you are getting a "deal" by buying an I2 clarity stone K/L color with some stuff temporary stuff injected in it to mask the inclusions, sold to you falsely as H color SI clarity. GO AHEAD.

We've tried to help you. You still think you know better. Fine. You know better. Enjoy.

Hey - don't get me wrong. I definitely appreciate your opinion! Which is why I asked for it in the first place =) I think you mistake my clarifying questions as a statement that I am going to get an enhanced stone, which is not the case. Just trying to understand the sheer vehemence against it. And distracts's helpful post below is exactly the information I was hoping to get.

distracts|1331097579|3142608 said:
Here are some helpful threads:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-what-happened-to-my-clarity-enhanced-diamond.168193/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-what-happened-to-my-clarity-enhanced-diamond.168193/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/imperfections-on-my-clarity-enhanced-diamond-are-bothering-me.53077/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/imperfections-on-my-clarity-enhanced-diamond-are-bothering-me.53077/[/URL]

YES, the enhancements do "wear off" if they are Yehuda/fracture-filled diamonds. The Yehuda diamonds can be sent back to the manufacturer for them to re-do the treatment. But apparently they're only like 30% less than the price of unenhanced diamonds or something, so I'd just save up further and buy unenhanced, if you really want a diamond. If you would prefer to go with a diamond lookalike, there are other forums better suited for that discussion (we're not allowed to link to other forums here but they're easily findable, especially by googling some of the substitutes already offered here).

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's no "vengeance" against Clarity Enhanced/Fracture-filled stones. We're just giving our opinions on what we'd choose. I think of them as "junk" to be honest. Because I've seen so many people around here show up after their stone becomes cloudy or whatnot & then it's too late. The biz seems to prey on suckers or people who don't think their partners will ever know the difference. At least people know what they're getting w/simulants! Clarity Enhanced stones are ticking timebombs in terms of appearance and "value". They also can be more vulnerable to damage. Many jewelers won't even work with them!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others and would avoid clarity enhanced stones. I'd try to find a pre loved pair on either diamondbistro or ebay. PS has a pre loved forum here and studs are often listed.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have seen Yehuda in person at a jewelry store and they look horrible, I would rather save my money for something nicer or go to pawn stores looking for a good deal.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the idea of upkeep with the clarity enhanced stones. I would prefer to buy stimulants or moissanite and change them later when I had the money. Would you consider used?

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
peachyyyy said:
Very interesting. So for everyone who would rather wear CZ than clarity enhanced, is this because you think the enhanced product is going to be an inferior quality (i.e. it will be less shiny and/or fall apart), or is it out of a sentiment/principle that you believe a diamond should be pure and unaltered?

For me, it's a "mind clean" issue. The CE diamonds might look fine, but I would be conscious that they were filled with some sort of goo, and that would ruin the pleasure of wearing the earrings. If you're looking for studs smaller than half a carat each, you could definitely get some cleanish SI2 stones that would appear eye clean from a reasonable distance, as no one is going to be 2-3 inches from your ear looking for inclusions (unless they're a PSer! :lol: ). Based on a quick JA search, you'd still be looking at $1100 or so, and those are K SI2,so the colour might be too low for you.

With diamonds, I really feel it's best to a) buy the best you can afford within your budget b) wait until you an afford what you really want, or c) spend A LOT of time on eBay, DB, etc., searching for a good deal. Buying CE diamonds, to me, is the same as buying a refurbished iPod or a clunker of a car that only looks great because it has a new paint job.

ETA -- I'm saying this as someone who has chosen to wear CZ in the past as I couldn't afford what I wanted re: a non CE diamond.

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock
peachyyyy|1331089314|3142455 said:
One thing that does fit my budget is a pair of I1 J color 0.45ct studs from DiamondWave. It's not something they offer on their website but the very nice owner has agreed to work with me within my budget. Unfortunately, she's also basically told me that they won’t be eye clean.

Honestly, I would consider looking into this further. She's told you they won't be eye clean, but at what distance will the inclusions be visible and would you be OK with them?

Other than that, I think Christina's suggestion of shopping Diamond Bistro is a very good one.

Personally, I'd rather buy a natural diamond within my budget than a stimulant or a CE diamond.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am going to go against the grain a little and say that CE diamonds when well cut have a place on the market and I would not call them junk.
They need to be selected the same way you would a non-treated diamond.
I have seen some gross looking CE diamonds.
However well cut CZ's in a stuller quality level setting will last for decades as long as you don't throw them in a jewelery box, keep them in a earring box when not wearing them.
That is what I bought for my sister a few years ago.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
If you want to think you are getting a "deal" by buying a poorly cut I2 clarity stone K/L color with some stuff temporary stuff injected in it to mask the inclusions, sold to you falsely as H color SI clarity.

Save up. Or buy some nice simulants.
agreed.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have battled with myself over buying Moissanite. I kept thinking it was a good idea pricewise, but a part of me kept wishing for a real diamond. So i'm saving up. I wouldn't want clarity enhanced stones because i'd worry about durability.

My advice...save up for quality and as long as you dont lose them :bigsmile: they will last you a lifetime.

peachyyyy

Rough_Rock
Looks like the forum has voted a resounding no to clarity enhanced. Thanks everyone for saving me from a bad purchase! Hopefully one day I'll have something nice to share =)

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
Karl_K|1331142644|3143019 said:
I am going to go against the grain a little and say that CE diamonds when well cut have a place on the market and I would not call them junk.
However well cut CZ's in a stuller quality level setting will last for decades as long as you don't throw them in a jewelery box, keep them in a earring box when not wearing them.
Why an earring box, specifically, instead of a jewelry box?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AuntKiki|1331171416|3143554 said:
Karl_K|1331142644|3143019 said:
Why an earring box, specifically, instead of a jewelry box?

Because an earring box keeps the stones from rubbing against each other and against other pieces. You have to put the earrings, post first through a hole in an earring box. Even with diamonds-- most of the damage to the diamonds is from the other diamond. People don't store earrings correctly. If you do use a jewelry box, store one earring in one holder, the other in a different one. Don't store them together loose. This applies to ANY earring with a stone: colored, fake, real.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results