shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity Enhanced Diamond Studs

Strawberry Tomatoes

Rough_Rock
Hello, I was considering to purchase diamond stud earrings for total size of 2.5-3 ct and stumbled upon Clarity Enhanced Diamond. The price on CED is very tempting and from reading online it seems nobody (common/not jewelry expert people) can't tell the difference and I don't see any pitfalls of buying CED. I was trying to see it in person, but none of jewelry stores in my area carries it.

My questions are
1. Are there enormous pitfalls of buying CED earrings?
2. Is it true CED has no resale value and quality can change over time? From reading at CED online store websites, they said it is good for life time.
2. If I decide to go with non CED earrings, should I buy GIA certificate or preowned non-certificate earrings? A local jewelry exchange store offered 2.62 total ct color E-F, I1, table 6.9-7 mm for $7000 and he said he would write down the spec and value of the diamond and buy back in case I need to resale in the future.

Thank you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. Just no.

Do a search on here (there is a search function and 100s of threads on the issue) for Clarity enhanced diamonds.

Keep your money in your pocket.

You need to do your research.

We can get you a glorious diamond earrings.

You don't need E/F. And.... they aren't going to be E/F. Why? No reputable lab grades CE diamonds. There is a reason for it.

You are MUCH (and I can not emphasize this enough) better off with SI K's.

Or... honestly, simulants. I'd buy a simulant WAY before I bought a CE.

Personally, I'd go for these:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-k-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-990264
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2169938

They are a fabulous match and just BEAUTIFUL.

And then you get REALLY nice diamonds for your money that are actually WORTH the money you are paying.

Great return policy. And an upgrade policy.

So... Buy them and see them in person, and see what you think is my advice. They will be shockingly white. They are on your EARS and will have amazing light return. And they are LARGE... 6.5mm!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
#1 Often they're too expensive for what you get. Misrepresentation of grades is common. Typical even. That makes them difficult to shop. For example the traditional GIA clarity grading scale doesn't apply. They are often sold be jewelers who aren't the best of the best and who have other issues when you dig into doing business with them.

#2. The filling in diamonds can be damaged by high temperatures and certain acids. It’s not the sort of thing that you can do with anything like ‘normal wear’, but it’s good to make sure that any jeweler doing repairs understands that it’s CE. Torches are a problem for example. Mostly the filling is pretty stable but yes, it can change and yes it can be damaged. This is the reason GIA won’t grade them by the way.

Some manufacturers will warranty them, even against the above, but that’s based on the strength of the manufacturer. Some don’t.

#3. Buyback offers are only as good or bad as the jeweler offering it. It’s not a gemological property. Yes, they’re valuable to a lot of people, but don’t assume this means that someone else will offer what this guy thinks they should and make sure you understand the ‘fine print’. They can, and often do, have so many limits that they're basically useless. For example, what you wrote above don't actually sound like an offer to buy them back at a specified price. It might be, but make sure you understand. If it's some sort of 'manufacturers suggested retail price', don't put much value in it.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some thoughts--

Practically speaking diamonds have very little sales value. There's not a "market" for diamonds the way there is for cars. I can walk onto a car lot and get an offer, and the dealer knows pretty much what my car can be resold for, subtracts his profit and his transaction costs, and that's what he offers. Resale values are as low as 10% of retail, especially for low end stones that are sold at high markups in mall stones. And it's hard to get lower than a CE stone.

For whatever reasons, the jewelry industry has not embraced CE diamonds. The majority of dealers who sell them are shady. Yehuda makes the best ones, and they have a good guarantee, but you still have to find a trustworthy dealer, and you have to pay the dealer's prices.

Ask yourself why you want a diamond at all. There are sims so good that no one will be able to tell, unless you tell them. They don't wear quite so well as a real diamond, but neither do CE stones. Diamonds are about more than how they look; they are an important part of our culture. If CE works for your mental and social space, you can consider them, but again, it's very hard to find a dealer you want to work with.

Strawberry Tomatoes

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your reply. It took a while to digest :think: and I came to my decision to stick with natural diamond. Thank you for searching the total 1 carat. I am still opt for total 2.5-3 carats. With that in mind, can I still find ideal/excellent cut under $10000? Should I stay in K color or J? I will set it in white gold setting. What are the guidelines to choose diamond for earrings?
Thank you for your help.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is the number one factor in a diamond's beauty. These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Strawberry Tomatoes

Rough_Rock
Hi Tyty3333:

Thank you for your reply. Who should I talk to? Sorry I didn't get it.
What color should I get for earrings? J or K or doesn't matter so long it is an ideal/excellent cut?

When is the best time to find good deal (big sale) for diamond purchase? Black Friday or Christmas?

Thank you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results