shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity - clouds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Torry

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I am considering purchasing an SI2 stone and looking at the lab report, it seems that the inclusions might be clouds (but I''m not sure as I can''t see the scanned copy of the plot very clearly - I need to ask the dealer when I speak to them). It also states "additional clouds are not shown". I am a bit worried as I''ve heard that clouds can reduce brilliance and fire. However, I have seen the ASET and all the more sophisticated reports that specifically measure scintillation etc and the results are all very good. If there were clouds which affect brilliance, I presume they would impact these results?

Thanks!
Torry

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 12:27:49 PM
Author:Torry
Hi everyone! I am considering purchasing an SI2 stone and looking at the lab report, it seems that the inclusions might be clouds (but I'm not sure as I can't see the scanned copy of the plot very clearly - I need to ask the dealer when I speak to them). It also states 'additional clouds are not shown'. I am a bit worried as I've heard that clouds can reduce brilliance and fire. However, I have seen the ASET and all the more sophisticated reports that specifically measure scintillation etc and the results are all very good. If there were clouds which affect brilliance, I presume they would impact these results?

Thanks!
Torry
Hi Torry,

If clouds are the grade setters - the reason this diamond is an SI2 and marked on the clarity plotting diagram of the report, then in this clarity grade they can sometimes affect brilliance. However a trusted vendor will be able to advise you or get an independant appraisal on the diamond during a return period ( make sure you have one). If you are concerned then maybe you could look for another SI2 which does not have clouds as the grade setting inclusions. " Clouds not shown, additional clouds not shown" in the comments section of the report usually means these are a non issue and do not impact the diamond in a negative way. These are just mentioned for completeness.

Torry

Rough_Rock
Ah, thanks for that Lorelei. I wasn''t sure of the importance of the "additional clouds not shown comment", so that is good to know.

If, for instance, a GemEx/Brilliance Scope report gives "very good" (i.e. the top grading) for scintillation, light etc, does this mean the clouds (if that''s what they are) aren''t affecting brilliance?

I obviously need to discuss this in detail with the vendor next week...

Thanks again

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 12:40:54 PM
Author: Torry
Ah, thanks for that Lorelei. I wasn''t sure of the importance of the ''additional clouds not shown comment'', so that is good to know.

If, for instance, a GemEx/Brilliance Scope report gives ''very good'' (i.e. the top grading) for scintillation, light etc, does this mean the clouds (if that''s what they are) aren''t affecting brilliance?

I obviously need to discuss this in detail with the vendor next week...

Thanks again
This would depend on how extensive the clouds are if they affected brilliance, and also whether they would have an effect on any technologies - the vendor should be able to tell you if in this particular case the clouds are of concern. If you aren''t happy then look for another without grade setting clouds if you are in doubt.

Torry

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei!

Torry

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 12:53:19 PM
Author: Torry
Thanks Lorelei!

Torry
Glad to help Torry!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/5/2009 12:31:13 PM
Author: Lorelei

Hi everyone! I am considering purchasing an SI2 stone and looking at the lab report, it seems that the inclusions might be clouds (but I''m not sure as I can''t see the scanned copy of the plot very clearly - I need to ask the dealer when I speak to them). It also states ''additional clouds are not shown''. I am a bit worried as I''ve heard that clouds can reduce brilliance and fire. However, I have seen the ASET and all the more sophisticated reports that specifically measure scintillation etc and the results are all very good. If there were clouds which affect brilliance, I presume they would impact these results?

Thanks!
Torry
Hi Torry,

If clouds are the grade setters - the reason this diamond is an SI2 and marked on the clarity plotting diagram of the report, then in this clarity grade they can sometimes affect brilliance. However a trusted vendor will be able to advise you or get an independant appraisal on the diamond during a return period ( make sure you have one). If you are concerned then maybe you could look for another SI2 which does not have clouds as the grade setting inclusions. '' Clouds not shown, additional clouds not shown'' in the comments section of the report usually means these are a non issue and do not impact the diamond in a negative way. These are just mentioned for completeness.
I saw this diamond recently
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=17387607&weight=0.55
it was so bad. The stone was almost a fancy milky white - the clouds had killed more than half the fire and made it just sit there - the proportions as you can see are not that bad - I was very sad to see how much GIA can mislead consumers.
Confidence?
Authority?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2009 4:14:43 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 4/5/2009 12:31:13 PM

Hi everyone! I am considering purchasing an SI2 stone and looking at the lab report, it seems that the inclusions might be clouds (but I''m not sure as I can''t see the scanned copy of the plot very clearly - I need to ask the dealer when I speak to them). It also states ''additional clouds are not shown''. I am a bit worried as I''ve heard that clouds can reduce brilliance and fire. However, I have seen the ASET and all the more sophisticated reports that specifically measure scintillation etc and the results are all very good. If there were clouds which affect brilliance, I presume they would impact these results?

Thanks!
Torry
Hi Torry,

If clouds are the grade setters - the reason this diamond is an SI2 and marked on the clarity plotting diagram of the report, then in this clarity grade they can sometimes affect brilliance. However a trusted vendor will be able to advise you or get an independant appraisal on the diamond during a return period ( make sure you have one). If you are concerned then maybe you could look for another SI2 which does not have clouds as the grade setting inclusions. '' Clouds not shown, additional clouds not shown'' in the comments section of the report usually means these are a non issue and do not impact the diamond in a negative way. These are just mentioned for completeness.
I saw this diamond recently
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=17387607&weight=0.55
it was so bad. The stone was almost a fancy milky white - the clouds had killed more than half the fire and made it just sit there - the proportions as you can see are not that bad - I was very sad to see how much GIA can mislead consumers.
Confidence?
Authority?
Wow...I have no words....

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/6/2009 4:22:29 PM

Lorelei, I was shocked.
The only reason I can imagine is that some very new inexperianced people graded the stone. They do work in semi darkness and often never ''look'' at the diamond - it is all microscopes etc.
But really there can be no excuse.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 6:12:17 AM

Lorelei, I was shocked.
The only reason I can imagine is that some very new inexperianced people graded the stone. They do work in semi darkness and often never ''look'' at the diamond - it is all microscopes etc.
I bet!
23.gif

I am really glad you posted it so we can keep a close eye on SI1 clarities with cloud grade setters.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/7/2009 6:21:45 AM

Date: 4/7/2009 6:12:17 AM

Lorelei, I was shocked.
I bet!
23.gif

I am really glad you posted it so we can keep a close eye on SI1 clarities with cloud grade setters.
I am now worried about VS cloud grade setters too.
but it must have been a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results