shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity - clouds on SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snoopy

Rough_Rock
Hi, I need some advice. I am looking at a stone, a 1.01 D SI1 which is pretty clean except under 10x magnification (tungsten light), it shows a streak of cloud (visible in photo). I was reassured its eye clean but internet buyer paranoia is creeping in. The GIA cert comments that the clarity grading is due to clouds not shown. My question is, how 'observable' are SI1 attributable clouds to the naked eye. My husband has his reservations about it (he has very keen sight) and is concerned that it would show quite distinctly. My other choice is an 1.12 E VS2 which is otherwise everything else the other stone is (H&A, brilliance score=VH/VH/VH, HCA=0.9 etc) except $1300 more expensive! This will strictly be an internet purchase, no chance of actual viewing and we will send the stones to be appraised externally. I am hoping to pick out A stone rather than picking one and then changing mind again and then picking out another one - rather distressing for all, vendors and buyer involved as well as costly.

Anyone out there with SI1's or SI2's, how do you feel about your stones??
Would appreciate comments. Cheers.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Snoopy, where does the cloud appear in the stone? In the table, under the bezel area?

I would tend to think an SI-1 grade assigned because of a cloud would be a good SI-1 to have. You know what I mean? The cloud determining grade is a transparent inclusion, instead of a "hard" inclusion like a white or black crystal.

For $1300, you've got to take a look, at least. It's no big deal to send it back if you don't like it. Registered mail is a snap.

Maybe you can get both stones and look at them side-by-side?

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

snoopy

Rough_Rock
Richard,

From the pics, it kind of runs along the bezel; there is an inclusion but it is located at the edge, so can be easily covered with a prong.

I would very much prefer to make a choice rather than decide between both; I think if I can't decide now, it won't be any easier to decide then since both are so close both ways (except cost wise and probably size- slightly).

I tried to attach a pic but somehow wasn't quite successful.

phi368

Rough_Rock
My thought is that you're not going to be able to see a cloud in a H&A. There's too much sparkle. It took me 3 diamonds through DBOF before I found one. The first two were SI2's. The first one was good but there was a dark crystal right under the table. Still hard to see but I could when I turned it the right way. My 3rd stone was an SI1 (almost a H&A but not technically). The GIA shows several clouds in the bezel area. You can't see any of them. Especially being that you have a good color stone, combined with the fact that it's a H&A, I seriously doubt you'll see it with the naked eye. From my experience, clouds that are blatantly obvious under 10x are undetectable with the naked eye.

Also, I'd have one shipped to you first just to make sure. If you can see it, ship it back. A few extra bucks is worth it. Also, I don't know who you are working with but dirtcheapdiamonds.com will reimburse you for shipping if you return it so there's absolutely no loss.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results