shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity and color questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

normanmiller

Rough_Rock
If I purchase a 1.00 carat round brilliant in SI1 with a color grade between F and G, would inclusions be easier to see? I do not want my wife to be able to tell if there was an inclusion and I am concerned that a larger diamond with higher color grade would display that inclusion.

Does it matter or should I stick with a VS2 grade to relieve my concern?

Question 2: Is there really a noticiable color difference between an "F" and "G" where you can actually see the difference.
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You need to look at diamonds rather than think yuou can just order one blindly. In a 1ct round, you won''t see any inclusiions faceup in nearly any VS2, but you might, on occasion see an inclusion in an SI1. Not often, but its more possible.Buy using GIA or AGS grading dcouments for assurance of some conformity in grading. Some labs are notorious for not conforming to accepted norms of grading. Not all "certs" are equal, no matter what a salesperson may casually say or imply.

If you are not an in depth observer, you won''t see much difference between an F color to an H color. There is a difference, but the difference is greater in price than in visible color. The big thing is quality of "CUT". You can find a poorly cut F color that is way less than a finely cut H color within the same clarity grade. Cut makes a ton of real, visible difference and is also part of the price/value issue.

Learn more before you commit to any stone. GO take a look at some diamonds and see what you eyes can detect, too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a well cut round stone that is corrected graded, it will be very difficult to find inclusions in an SI1. I''d stick with GIA or AGS certs. Also, eye cleanliness (clarity) is graded from the top view. You might be able to spot the inclusion from the side.

A F and G will be difficult to tell apart, even when side by side face up in well cut stones.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it depends on

1. how well the stone is cut
2. the lab that graded the diamond

''eye clean'' si diamonds are out there but they are sometimes hard to find. if you want to be sure that you won''t see any inclusions, you should stick with vvs. vs2 is not that much different than si1. just like there isn''t much difference between ''f'' and ''g'' at all. for me, it would just come down to price. if they end up being similar, i would go ahead and get the ''f'' otherwise, i think a ''g'' is perfect.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour won't make a difference as far as being able to see inclusions, that is down to the clarity grade and the resulting size, shape, type, colour, location and visibility of the inclusion, assuming we are discussing a well cut round diamond too and not a fancy shape. Also colour sensitivity varies, but generally, few would be able to see the difference between like graded ( GIA or AGS) F and G. If you are concerned then maybe a VS or even VVS clarity might be a better choice, there are many clean SI diamonds out there, but they need to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

normanmiller

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information. Your always helpful. I have done alot of research on diamonds before I buy, but it seems the closer I get to a purchase, the more I second guess myself. Your information pretty much confirmed what i thought but your insights are very helpful in aleviating my concerns.

Thanks!
1.gif
1.gif

normanmiller

Rough_Rock
If I was aiming for an "eye clean" SI1. Would you place more faith in the Integrity of a GIA or AGS cert. Both or neither.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 9:46:06 AM
Author: normanmiller
If I was aiming for an 'eye clean' SI1. Would you place more faith in the Integrity of a GIA or AGS cert. Both or neither.
labs don't grade for 'eye clean' so the report alone and the clarity grade are not enough to determine whether or not you will see any inclusions. again, it also depends on the CUT of the diamond. even then, you will need someone to physically look at the diamond to assess whether or not the inclusions are readily visible.
if you are just questioning the accuracy of the grading by gia and ags, both are reputable.

normanmiller

Rough_Rock
Ok! That helps me.

Best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results