shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarfying Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cindie

Rough_Rock
What does it mean to Clarifying a Diamond? I have a diamond that is not completely clear.
lickout.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
"Clarity" is how clear the diamond is. How free from internal inclusions, often called imperfections.

To "clarify" a diamond is an unfamilar term to me, but my guess is that it probably means one of two things.

To clarity grade the diamond, telling you what the ranking is on it. Possibly to map out the characteristics of the stone as well on a diagram of the diamond.

Or possibly, to "treat" the diamond to improve it's clarity. There's two types of treatment that will "enhance" the clarity, laser drilling and fracture filling.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cindie,
I think you're talking about clarity enhacements... As Rich told you, there are two types of treatments: fracture filling, which is a way to improve clarity by filling feathers (cracks) with a special glass and there's laser drilling: a laser beam is used to reach the inclusion and, if the inclusion doesn't disappear because of the laser itself, then it's bleached by a special kind of acid.
I hope it's clear enough...

Giangi

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a new version of laser drilling coming into more common use now that does not leave much of a tell-tale trace like the original tyupe of laser drill hole. This new process creates small feathers and opens up the stone to bleaching.... These may get through even the GIA without detection.

This new process is going to create a lot of new concern for gemologists, dealers and retailers.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dave... I'm not English so explaining this isn't that easy... Also, I'm at home sick
angryfire.gif
!!!!

Giangi

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 2/21/2003 2:52:52 PM oldminer wrote:
There is a new version of laser drilling coming into more common use now that does not leave much of a tell-tale trace like the original tyupe of laser drill hole. This new process creates small feathers and opens up the stone to bleaching.... These may get through even the GIA without detection.

This new process is going to create a lot of new concern for gemologists, dealers and retailers.

----------------
Hi Dave-What are the differences from traditional laser drilling that make the occurence more subtle to qualified professionals like yourself. How can you identify the new methods compared to the ways you identify traditional drilling?

Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results