shape
carat
color
clarity

Clairitek''s DIY Lace Edge Veil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I am just outside of 2 weeks until my wedding so I figured I probably should get the ball rolling on my veil. When I had my second fitting last week I tried on a lace edge veil that hit right at the back of my knees but it was $185 and way out of my budget.

On Monday I trekked into the fabric/garment district (at least I think that''s what this was) in Philadelphia and purchased some reembroidered lace trim and tulle.

Here is my result. I am fairly happy with it. I am not terribly pleased with the profile in the back but I think it will look better once it is up against my dress. Its a little longer than I had anticipated, probably due to the fact that when I cut it the tulle wasn''t as weighed down. Oh well! I am definitely not doing it again!

frontPSveil1.JPG

The back. You can see its about 6" too long.

backveilPS1.JPG

As good a close up of the edging as my camera phone will allow.

PSveilcloseup2.JPG

WRONG SECTION!! SORRY EVERYONE! I''ll have it moved.
7.gif

It''s lovely!!! The lace reminds me of teh lace in my veil!

Great job!!
36.gif
36.gif

You did an excellent job. The length looks perfect. . .the lace is so pretty!

I think its lovely even though its in the wrong forum
2.gif
Nice job!

Well it''s a craft project, so it still fits under "home"
2.gif

I think it''s beautiful, good job!!

Thanks everyone!

Mandarine I totally thought of your veil when I was making mine. I LOVED your veil! So totally gorgeous.

Musey True.... it was a craft project that I did at home.
1.gif

I''ve been trying to get it moved. I am wondering if my request went through so I am going to send it again.

Oh, it is SO beautiful!!!!
36.gif

Lori

I think that''s gorgeous! Makes me want to try DIYing it myself. Veil prices are ridiculous!

Clair it looks great - good job! I went back and checked out your dress thread and your dress is stunning
30.gif
You''re going to look fabulous!

Gorgeous - you are very handy!!! Well done
1.gif

That is absolutely gorgeous! And the length will be fabulous I am sure! I love the detailing on the lace!

Nice work!
1.gif

Wow, looks amazing!!!!! What store did you get the fabric at? I live in south Jersey, and am looking for a fabric store that sells nice veil material.

Claritek, Beautiful veil! Great job!!

Phew! Good to see my thread was moved overnight to BWW.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments. I can''t wait to see it with my dress. I never would have gone with anything this long but I am glad I did.

Date: 6/4/2009 8:56:06 AM
Author: princessplease
Wow, looks amazing!!!!! What store did you get the fabric at? I live in south Jersey, and am looking for a fabric store that sells nice veil material.

Princessplease- I went to South 4th Street for my materials. I bought the lace and tulle at a store called Maxie''s Daughter. There were a bunch of other places but they had the best selection and prices.

While my lace trim isn''t true alencon lace its a style close enough and was only $7.98 a yard. The tulle was $2 a yard. I bought waaaaaay too much tulle because I didn''t realize it was so wide. I would have really only needed 1.5 yards. All together I spent $30 on materials.

WOW!!! i am very impressed. that looks beautiful. that will be something special for you to hold on to....you made your veil!! talk about a neat thing for a daughter or granddaughter to wear someday!

It''s gorgeous!!! My mother is making my veil... we''re getting the supplies when I''m home in a week, I''m so excited!

I wouldn''t have the first idea how to go about it myself... I''m in awe of your veil-making abilities. :)

It looks beautiful!!

Its beautiful. About how much was the lace? I''ll probably be going down to the LA garment district for mine...

Wow. That is unbelievable--I am so impressed that you made it!
Very romantic.

I am so impressed! Your veil is beautiful. (Yeah, 2 weeks to go...pro''lly wanna make sure this project is done
2.gif
)

Claritek, that looks fabulous. I wouldn''t even know where to start when making a veil... Did you have some sort of pattern you used when cutting the tulle, or did you just sort of "go with it"?

Rockzilla The lace was only $7.98 a yard. Its certainly not the same quality as the stuff on my dress (cotton alencon) but had a similar look to it and since I was desperate I just went for it. I did see some nicer alencon trim at a different store for $15 and it looked to be much better quality. Since I was making such a long veil I knew I needed about 5 yards so I didn''t want to spend $60 on just the trim, especially if I wasn''t sure that I could pull it off.

PPM This is the second veil I have made. I wish I had taken pictures of the first one I made for a friend back in December 2007. I learned a lot from that experience. I highly recommend finding a large flat surface to work on where you can lay the material out.

The first time I did was measure, from the back of my head, how long I wanted it to be. Then I added on 2" to have enough material to gather it at the top and attach to a comb.

Then I laid the tulle out and folded it in half and cut it to the proper length. Next I rounded off the corners with it folded so they would be as symmetrical as possible.

To attach the lace I just laid it out on top of the tulle and used a needle and single thread in the same color as the lace to stitch along the top edge of the trim. I did my best to stay near the cording used to re-embroider the lace so my stitching wasn''t as noticeable. I can''t even really see it, even in my close up shot of the lace, so I am pleased with how that came out.

The hardest part of attaching the lace was to make sure I kept it going along the edge of the tulle nicely and checking to make sure it didn''t get bunched up. The curves were challenging and I was constantly adjusting the lace to make sure I didn''t get too close to the edge of the tulle.

Attaching it to the comb so the thread and stitching wasn''t noticable was tough. I doubt my ability to accurately describe how I did that so when I get home I will take some pictures to show you what I did.

Sorry for the rambling but I hope this helped describe what I did.

Date: 6/4/2009 10:59:49 AM
Author: mayachel
I am so impressed! Your veil is beautiful. (Yeah, 2 weeks to go...pro''lly wanna make sure this project is done
2.gif
)

I know, right?!? I had my friend''s double layer corded edge ivory veil on stand-by if mine didn''t work out. That was my second choice and since I was up in the air about whether or not I wanted a blusher I knew that would work out well.

One more thing off the list!

Beautiful! You did a great job!

I love it! Great job!!! I still have my lace mantilla-style veil after I bought another veil. I was dead set on using the plain edge one, but after seeing yours, I might just go back to the lace!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP