shape
carat
color
clarity

Citizenship present ideas needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found out a couple of weeks ago that my application for British citizenship was approved. The visa process has never been hard, but it''s been expensive and our lives have been dictated by it to a point. I''m thrilled to have this journey come to an end - but what on earth will I spend my money on in the future? Jewellery, of course! I have asked my DH for a piece of jewellery to celebrate this ocassion. He would like ideas, but all my ideas are terribly expensive.

I''m looking at spending $400 or less. The less, the better. The application and other expenses have cost us a ton. Of course, the citizenship ceremony is right between our anniversary and my birthday so I could try for a 3-in-1 deal, but that wouldn''t change the budget much, probably, up to $550, maybe. Any ideas?

I have and wear: a .50 carat engagement ring, a .33 carat OEC antique engagement ring, engraved white gold antique wedding band, titanium wedding band, antique filigree platinum wedding band, .66 carat OEC earrings, and several pairs of dangle semi-precious earrings from an etsy type seller. I wear earrings and at least one ring everyday. I don''t wear many bracelets, necklaces, or a watch at all.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
maybe a really pretty band w/ delicate detail? something antique-y and custom made in your new land? could be really cool! Like an adventure!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 1:32:46 PM
Author:Addy
I found out a couple of weeks ago that my application for British citizenship was approved.
That is FANTASTIC news, Addy!!!! CONGRATS!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

The visa process has never been hard, but it's been expensive and our lives have been dictated by it to a point. I'm thrilled to have this journey come to an end - but what on earth will I spend my money on in the future? Jewellery, of course! I have asked my DH for a piece of jewellery to celebrate this ocassion. He would like ideas, but all my ideas are terribly expensive.
Hahah, a woman after my own heart--all my ideas for gifts for myself are always terribly expensive too.
2.gif

I'm looking at spending $400 or less. The less, the better. The application and other expenses have cost us a ton. Of course, the citizenship ceremony is right between our anniversary and my birthday so I could try for a 3-in-1 deal, but that wouldn't change the budget much, probably, up to $550, maybe. Any ideas?
Since you're giving prices in dollars, are you looking at buying overseas from a PS vendor and having it shipped in? If so, we should probably figure the VAT into it..hmmm....

I have and wear: a .50 carat engagement ring, a .33 carat OEC antique engagement ring, engraved white gold antique wedding band, titanium wedding band, antique filigree platinum wedding band, .66 carat OEC earrings, and several pairs of dangle semi-precious earrings from an etsy type seller. I wear earrings and at least one ring everyday. I don't wear many bracelets, necklaces, or a watch at all.
Are you looking for something with diamonds, or would a gemstone interest you? How much time do you have for it to be made? I think in your position I might want some sort of gemstone ring--maybe a gemstone eternity? Or a gemstone solitaire in an antique setting, or mock antique? Whiteflash has some sort of flexible eternity rings, some (but not all) for $400, looks like....?

Here's the link to the WF bands, if you're interested: http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Right-Hand-Rings/Flex-Rings-Design-by-Zydo_1046.htm#

I can't wait to see what you decide to get! And CONGRATS again, m'dear!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

flexyeternityWF.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Or maybe something like this amethyst set in rose gold on Topazery for $300 (w/$125 international shipping)?

rosegoldamethyst.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Do you ever wear pins? This is an Edwardian filigree and diamond pin, also from Topazery, for the same price as the amethyst ring.

edwardianpin.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Have you had a look on the vintage section of the UK ebay - I''ve scored some mega-bargains on there and they often have beautiful pieces. It''s a good way of getting a good deal if you''re not after a specially made piece.

Congratulations on getting the citizenship - are you having the ceremony in London, or just getting the paperwork?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gwen, great ideas! I''m not sure what I''m after, honestly, just that I''m after something. I do love Topazery! If I bought overseas I''d have it sent to my family and then have them ship it over to save money. I posted in USD because I thought US PSers might not be able to convert. I suppose that''s about £300-£400, right?

Pandora, I haven''t checked it out, actually. I''m terrible at finding stuff on UK ebay. I don''t know if I search the wrong words or what.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 2:20:33 PM
Author: tlh
maybe a really pretty band w/ delicate detail? something antique-y and custom made in your new land? could be really cool! Like an adventure!

I''m sorry I missed you. I''m thinking so hard that I''ve spaced out a bit. I feel like I''m on a time crunch here so I''ve gone a bit crazy. A band would be cool! I love simple bands.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m just going to be annoying and post a lot on my own thread. It''s a good place to think out loud.

After all afternoon of PS searching a couple of ideas have come to the front of my mind. A tri-coloured rolling ring - but is this too trendy. I have a silver one I put on this evening to give me something to think about. But I don''t know if I want a rolling ring because they''ve been quite popular on here lately.

I like amethyst. The ring Gwen posted is beautiful and it''d be something a bit different than anything I own.

Small bezel set sapphire studs might barely make it into my budget and I''ve wanted those for a while, but haven''t been brave enough to venture into the world of coloured stones.

Or maybe break my own rules and get a pendant. A smallish but inexpensive coloured stone.

And my biggest issue, when something is technically a gift, can I more or less pick it, build it, and then turn it over to DH? Somehow that seems wrong to me (and DH) which is why I only ever get pre-made jewellery gifts from DH.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 6:29:54 PM
Author: Addy
I''m just going to be annoying and post a lot on my own thread. It''s a good place to think out loud.

After all afternoon of PS searching a couple of ideas have come to the front of my mind. A tri-coloured rolling ring - but is this too trendy. I have a silver one I put on this evening to give me something to think about. But I don''t know if I want a rolling ring because they''ve been quite popular on here lately.

I like amethyst. The ring Gwen posted is beautiful and it''d be something a bit different than anything I own.

Small bezel set sapphire studs might barely make it into my budget and I''ve wanted those for a while, but haven''t been brave enough to venture into the world of coloured stones.

Or maybe break my own rules and get a pendant. A smallish but inexpensive coloured stone.
If you''ve wanted bezel sapphire studs for a while, then maybe you should look into how much of a possibility they would be. Maybe (if you haven''t already) post a thread in Coloured Stones asking for their knowledgable opinions on what you could get from your money, or where you could find good quality pre-made sapphire bezel studs? They may know some coloured stone secret that makes this decision a pinch for you!

And my biggest issue, when something is technically a gift, can I more or less pick it, build it, and then turn it over to DH? Somehow that seems wrong to me (and DH) which is why I only ever get pre-made jewellery gifts from DH.
If it seems wrong to the two of you, that''s all that matters. Unless you''re super picky with your jewelery, maybe you could give your DH a few options--like, where he could find sapphire bezel studs, or that rose gold amethyst ring, or a rough sketch of an idea for custom work, and then let him choose. That way you''re putting in your two cents, but at the same time he''s choosing the gift and it''s a win-win because you will enjoy any of the options. Would that maybe work for you guys?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Gwen! I''m still in the thinking stages. Watch me do what I usually do and not make any decisions! I''m spent a ton of time on the internet in the past couple of days. You''re a great sounding board for this, thank you!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:21:38 PM
Thanks, Gwen! I'm still in the thinking stages. Watch me do what I usually do and not make any decisions! I'm spent a ton of time on the internet in the past couple of days. You're a great sounding board for this, thank you!
Glad my ramblings have helped in some (or any) way!
1.gif

Even if you are just thinking at this point, I do think it would be a good idea to post in the Coloured Stones forum about the studs you've been wanting for ages--because really, if that's the one bit of jewelry you've been craving and you CAN afford to get the kind you'd like, what better reason than to get them for your citizenship pressie? And if you can't afford them this time around, then you can dismiss them from your list for this go around and be able to narrow down your options for this gift.

Not to be pushy or anything, but yeah, I think you should more or less post what you posted already about the studs in Coloured Stones and see what the experts think--if you could get good quality stuff for your budget or if you should wait.
1.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Addy -

coatimundi posted a link for someone to a wonderful UK antique jewelry site. i cant remember what it was called tho! it had a HUGE range of stuff - i''ll throw up a question for her and see if she responds...

my husband and i are currently going through the same process for US citizenship - we have our green cards now, but it''s a long wait for citizenship. when we''re finally approved, for my citizenship gift, i want...shares in GOOGLE!!

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
It''s easy, a Mogok ruby, Golconda diamond and a Kashmir Sapphire ring - red, white and blue. $400 to cover the cost of the loan application. Joking aside, congratulations on your new citizenship!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 5:31:49 AM
Author: klewis
It''s easy, a Mogok ruby, Golconda diamond and a Kashmir Sapphire ring - red, white and blue. $400 to cover the cost of the loan application. Joking aside, congratulations on your new citizenship!

Haha! Yeah, was thinking less expensive gemstones, but that''d be nice! What do you think the chances are of them tracking me down when I do a runner after the loan?

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 8:17:30 AM
Date: 3/27/2009 5:31:49 AM

Author: klewis

Haha! Yeah, was thinking less expensive gemstones, but that''d be nice! What do you think the chances are of them tracking me down when I do a runner after the loan?
Probably the chances are quite good unless you fancy a long holiday in the mountains of Afghanistan where your chances are better - You might recieve a letter:
Dear Ms Addy,
Your citizenship is henceforth revoked ''cause you owe us money big time - please drop your citizenship ring off at the palace immediatey. Her Majesty will post some pics of it on Pricescope to get some feedback on its value - thanks and toodleoo.

Now that you have taken UK citizenship, do you still hold on to your original citizenship or do you have to renounce it?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
addy -

i hope the link from coati helped a little. i LOVE that store!!

congratulations on your new citizenship :)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I''ve choosen! I''m going to go skydiving. It''s been years since I last went and I love skydiving. I hope to one day have the money to complete the full skydiving course. Bad PSer!!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 4:12:00 PM
I''m a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I''ve choosen! I''m going to go skydiving. It''s been years since I last went and I love skydiving. I hope to one day have the money to complete the full skydiving course. Bad PSer!!

funny!

that''s one heck of a way to celebrate, addy!! champagne on the way down??

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's actually fairly fitting, strangly. The first two times I went were right before I went to England to study and met DH there, and right before the wedding. Something about serious life events (or DH) makes me want to throw myself out of planes. Okay, if I'm totally honest, the skydive right before study in England had more to do with the guy I was breaking up with than meeting DH!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results