shape
carat
color
clarity

Cigar Bar?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
As many of you probably know I''m so far ahead with my planning that I could very well get married before I''m engaged
3.gif
But I know that many of you LIW (and of course the brides that wander over here to the other side) will have plenty of suggestions for me on this so I''m asking...

ANYWAY, hehe, I''ve been talking with the wedding coordinator at the venue about Cigar Bars. I told SO that he''d get a funny grooms cake and a cigar bar from me since I ended up putting a deposit down on my dress the beginning of this month and we hadnt exactly budgeted for that. The wedding coordinator suggested this -

"... As for the Cigar rolling station, we typically do that towards the end of
dinner. The guests, even the women, will enjoy watching them roll the
cigars and then those who wish can go into the garden to smoke. A good
portion may take the cigars home to enjoy later. We can set it up for
the cocktail hour and have a sign put out asking everyone to join the
bride and groom after dinner in the garden for a cigar and perhaps we
can add an international coffee station. What are your thoughts? "

I told her I was concerned with splitting the reception up after dinner (or, rather, after the cake cutting) between the garden and the reception. The reception hall is a floor above the garden/cocktail bar floor - if you can picture that. So guests wouldnt just be outside they''d be outside and downstairs. We''re doing the cakes, butler served pastries, and a classic milk and cookies dessert served in tall glasses with red striped straws and oversized cookies. If all thats going on upstairs how would you feel about having cigars and an international coffee/liqueur station downstairs? I dont think shes planning on reopening the cigar bar for after dinner as much as simply requesting the guests smoke in the garden after dinner as opposed to during cocktail hour when they can have a cigar rolled. The guest list is going to come in between 140 and 160. At past weddings I''ve attended I''ve enjoyed breaking away from the main hall with some close friends after the meal and dancing before/while the cake is being served - BUT those were larger weddings. Advice?!?!?

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I like it. I really like it. I'm actually mentally bookmarking this idea, because I think it's awesome.

I can't imagine that your guests would spend a long long time outside, or that there would be that many of them outside at once, so I think you're in the clear in terms of not taking away from the main part of the reception. For what it's worth, I went to a wedding last year where there reception was held at a museum, and there were different things going on in multiple rooms (dancing in one room, dessert bar in another, cocktails in another room and outside, etc.) and the guest list was about the same size -- having some of the guests wander off to different areas wasn't a big deal.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea, but do not like that it is upstairs and downstairs. I guess it can't be avoided.

Like, I don't smoke, and I've been in some places, outside! where I just can't take it. But I would still like to have my coffee after dessert, and to have my liqueur after my coffee. If you are having a seated dinner, I just think it would be odd to have to go fetch my own coffee and liqueur?

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the opinions girls! I guess I''m still torn
37.gif

misskitty youre right, they probably wouldnt spend the entire dessert portion outside nor would they be all out there at once - I assume people would filter back and forth.

JulieN thank you for pointing out that putting the liqueur station downstairs would be inconvenient for people who might not want to leave the reception hall. Maybe something else is going on in the garden area or the cigar bar is reopened after dinner in the garden?

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
thats a pretty cool idea - i guess the only thing i would be worried about, in this day of age, is that will people appreciate the smoke? I live in the NW and not a lot of people understand how good a cigar is!!

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 7:47:23 AM
Author: jcarlylew
thats a pretty cool idea - i guess the only thing i would be worried about, in this day of age, is that will people appreciate the smoke? I live in the NW and not a lot of people understand how good a cigar is!!

Ive thought about that - but the garden is far enough away from the reception hall windows for people to have a place to get away from the smoke. SO and I come from Italian families and I can tell you that all his uncles and all my cousins will love smoking in the garden after dinner.
3.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
You should get personalized boxes of matches, saying:

"A Perfect Match: Sally & Tim (for example)"
10/24/2010
They can be distributed with the cigars for use when the guests smoke them

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 5:15:11 PM
Author: NakedFinger
You should get personalized boxes of matches, saying:

'A Perfect Match: Sally & Tim (for example)'

10/24/2010

They can be distributed with the cigars for use when the guests smoke them

Haha or 'Sailor & Sweetheart: Lighting Each Others Fire since 2006" haha. or "A Striking Couple"
3.gif

SO is going to love that idea!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems easy enough to serve coffee and liqueur on both levels, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results