shape
carat
color
clarity

Chubb no longer insures jewelry!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Hubby just got me a pair diamond stud earrings in a martini setting, and I thought that I should get all my pretties insured right away. Well... just had a conversation with a Chubb broker''s office and apparently they no longer offer jewelry insurance!!

Has anyone heard this yet?

And who should I go to for insurance now?!?!?

Help, please

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
State Farm, Fireman''s Fund, USAA if you have that as your insurance?

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
thanks Diamondfan!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with df-my jewelry is insured through USAA on a separate policy from my car and renter''s insurance.

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
thanks thing2! Unfortunately I don''t have USAA :(

I just called Allstate to see if they had jewelry insurance (and because we have them for auto insurance). We need rental insurance anyway, so they''ll do jewelry as a rider. I get the quote tomorrow. I''ve got my fingers crossed!

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
thumbelina - are you sure it's Chubb that is no longer insuring jewelry or just that particular insurance broker/agent who is not longer writing Chubb jewelry policies?? I ask because on Chubb's website it still says they insure jewelry http://www.chubb.com/personal/jewelry_protection.jsp and I just spoke to my agent last week about getting my wedding ring added to my Chubb policy and she never mentioned it would be a problem or that Chubb was no longer insuring jewelry. You may want to call around to other agents or call Chubb directly to refer you.

Also, similar issues have been posted a lot of times before where an agent says Chubb won't insure it or will only do so if the jewelry is for a certain amount. In those situations it's usually that the agent is not making enough off of writing the policy (for the smaller item of jewelry amount) and therefore doesn't want to deal with taking on those kinds of policies. Again, I would try contacting another agent. What city do you live in? I've worked with a great agent in Chicago and can recommend one here in CA.

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Have you tried Jeweler Mutual. I think is that the right name. I called a Chubb agent listed on their website and he called me back about 5 days later and told me that he talked to the underwriter and they told him Chubb would cover jewerly, but it had to be worth 100,000.00. (stand alone policy). I only wish I had a 100,000.00 worth of diamonds!!

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
$100,000 is completely untrue. My ring is worth about $25k and it is insured through Chubb...you need another broker/agent!

ETA: my policy is also a stand-alone policy

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Emeraldfan -- I did actually mention that to this broker, and they said that for some reason Chubb was having a difficult time removing the information from the site but that they were working on it. I tried calling another broker, but by the time I got around to it, it was after office hours. (I wish I could stop working at 5pm sharp!)

I did notice that they just changed the jewelry link in the personal insurance section of their home page to connect to a "valuable articles" section (before it brought you to the page with the link you provided). It looks like jewelry is included in the "valuable articles" section, and it may be a case of semantics... they are no longer calling it jewelry insurance, but they still do insure jewelry under valuable articles.

Confusing! At any rate, it certainly is worth calling a few more brokers tomorrow to find out more info!

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Ugh... so much conflicting information!

Emeraldfan -- I live in the Bay Area -- so if you have an agent in CA that I could call, I''d be grateful for the info!

Thanks everyone!

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2008 8:34:10 PM
Author: blondie23
$100,000 is completely untrue. My ring is worth about $25k and it is insured through Chubb...you need another broker/agent!

ETA: my policy is also a stand-alone policy
I promise u thats what he told me and then even suggested that I call my home owners. He said that they use to carry jewelry policys, but no longer, unless its 100,000. Maybe it is just his company, but it is confusing. I think I will go with someone like J/M. just to be safe.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
cwj, i don't think you were lying, I was just saying that your broker is lying to you. Every member of my family has a stand-alone jewelry policy from chubb and none of our jewelry is above $100k..maybe it's your broker's policy but it is definitely not a chubb policy

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2008 9:07:41 PM
cwj, i don''t think you were lying, I was just saying that your broker is lying to you. Every member of my family has a stand-alone jewelry policy from chubb and none of our jewelry is above $100k..maybe it''s your broker''s policy but it is definitely not a chubb policy
blondie23
How longer ago did u get your policy? When I talked to that agent he was kind of vague, but said he called a Chubb underwriter and was told that. I was kind of dissappointed with his respond and lack of help.
cwj

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
cwj, i got my ring policy about a year ago but my mom just got a new ring policy 2 weeks ago. From what I have found some brokers don''t like working with clients unless they have $$$ in jewelry which I totally don''t agree with. I would try looking up several other brokers and getting quotes from them. I think chubb is great and when my sister''s ring got lost they wrote her a check without hesitation.

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2008 9:31:51 PM
cwj, i got my ring policy about a year ago but my mom just got a new ring policy 2 weeks ago. From what I have found some brokers don''t like working with clients unless they have $$$ in jewelry which I totally don''t agree with. I would try looking up several other brokers and getting quotes from them. I think chubb is great and when my sister''s ring got lost they wrote her a check without hesitation.
Thanks blondie23, I had thought I wanted to go with Chubb, but when he told me that I quit looking. There are two more agent listed on thier website in my area. Maybe I should call them and just check! If I get to talk to them Wed. I''ll post about it later!
Thanks again,
cwj

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
where are you located?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread seems to keep on reappearing, and every time it''s been found to be untrue. I used William Castro from totaldollar.com for my stand-alone Chubb policy for my ering. He was a PS reference, and he was just wonderful.

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2008 9:39:57 PM
where are you located?
About 40 miles east of Memphis, Tn.

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
Thumbelina - I''m in the Bay Area as well. I will look up my policy info when I get home tonight and let you know the contact name/number of the agent I work with - she''s in Burlingame if you''re near there. I''ll also look up my old insurer in Chicago just in case the Burlingame agent has jewelry amount minimums.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
cwj, i will look up my agents info and send it your way!

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2008 9:41:55 PM
Author: Haven
This thread seems to keep on reappearing, and every time it''s been found to be untrue. I used William Castro from totaldollar.com for my stand-alone Chubb policy for my ering. He was a PS reference, and he was just wonderful.
I don''t understand, if Chubb is the underwriter, and they are willing to cover jewelry, why wouldn''t any agent offer it. It may be untrue about Chubb as a company, but that is what the agent told me.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
like i said before, i think it''s because some agents CHOOSE not to cover more expensive jewelry not because Chubb won''t do it. Most get a commission and if the policy isn''t as high dollar most don''t want to insure it if that makes sense.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
cwj, my policy is with Chubb Lloyds Texas and our agent who wrote the policy is Swingle, Collins and Associates...hope this helps!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I have a stand alone policy with Chubb with an insurance agent in Ohio. I just added a pair of diamond hoops to it about 10 days ago...

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2008 9:41:55 PM
Author: Haven
They also have a min to insure with them- you have to insure at least 10k. I called them last week.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
The minimum is also a myth...My sister''s stand alone policy is for her ring and it is only wroth $3k...like i said before, different brokers say different things...you just have to find the right one

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/15/2008 9:30:14 AM
The minimum is also a myth...My sister''s stand alone policy is for her ring and it is only wroth $3k...like i said before, different brokers say different things...you just have to find the right one
I think u are right about each broker being different. I think Chubb should tell brokers what they will do and not let each broker may his own rules. Like with me when the guy told me that Chubb would only write the policy if it was 100,000.00 and that Chubb no longer wrote stand alone for anything less, I started looking at other companys. I assumed that Chubb was Chubb not knowing that anyone could make up their own rules and Chubb would have lost my business. I would think they wouldn''t want untruths being stated about their policys. I know my business is very much, but all those small policys that brokers will not write would add up. Anyway I am going to check around some more.
Thanks for all th info.
cwj

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2008 11:20:43 AM
Author: cwj

Date: 4/15/2008 9:30:14 AM
I think u are right about each broker being different. I think Chubb should tell brokers what they will do and not let each broker may his own rules. Like with me when the guy told me that Chubb would only write the policy if it was 100,000.00 and that Chubb no longer wrote stand alone for anything less, I started looking at other companys. I assumed that Chubb was Chubb not knowing that anyone could make up their own rules and Chubb would have lost my business. I would think they wouldn''t want untruths being stated about their policys. I know my business is very much, but all those small policys that brokers will not write would add up. Anyway I am going to check around some more.
Thanks for all th info.
cwj
The minimum isn''t so much of a myth- some brokers have it some do not. Touchstone''s min is 10k. Another broker I called had a 25k min and another had a 100k min. I have yet to speak with any broker who did not have some sort of minimum but would like to find one.

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
Thumbelina - sorry I haven''t posted sooner. I spoke with my agent in Burlingame and she said her company is not really interested in insuring the jewelry as a stand alone policy, they would like you to have homeowner''s, auto, etc. with Chubb as well. My policy is a stand alone so not sure when this Burlingame agent''s policy changed - it appears it just comes down to them not making enough money on the contract to make it worth them writing the policy.

I used Thomas Ward in Chicago before moving to CA if you want to check him out or have him recommend someone out here. He never told me he had minimums so he might be better luck.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are having troubles with Chubb, you might want to consider jewelersmutual. I''ve had excellent service with them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results