shape
carat
color
clarity

Chubb in Virginia - having a difficult time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HoosinVA

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I just purchased a ring from Good Old Gold and proposed yesterday. My fiancé called Chubb''s 1-877 number today, and not to my surprise, they said that they could not offer insurance. She called several local agents, listed on the website and they all told her that Chubb does not write stand-alone valuable articles insurance policies. I find this hard to believe, seeing that many of you guys have had success insuring through Chubb. Does anyone have ideas for insurance agents in Virginia or any that might be licensed to write policies in Virginia. A search on the forums turned up nothing, so your recommendations of agents or other ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bah that's such rubbish!! Can you call outside of VA to get insured? I think so? There was a Chubb agent that many people have used, Dave somethingorother I think....run an archive search to find out more info.

Chubb definitely writes standalone policies though they'd love to get your business for some other policy too. I wonder what they'd say if you said that you had multiple friends who had policies with them? Standalone?

Sheesh what a runaround. Good luck!!

HoosinVA

Rough_Rock
Hey Mara - Yeah, I thought the same thing - I'm glad someone else can confirm that there are plenty of standalones. I was under the impression that the agent has to be licensed in the state to write a policy for a location in that state. Am I mistaken? Could anyone confirm or correct this? I remember running across a the same name several times - I'll try and dig that up out of the forum, in the meantime - if anybody has an agent that they've used in Virginia - your advice would be much appreciated
1.gif

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
I did a brief look a few weeks ago, and I believe if you check Chubb's website they not only clearly display that they offer standalone coverage, they have an agent search. I found one in Alexandria, VA that I was going to call but haven't yet. Perhaps you should give it a look-see and call an agent close to you.

HoosinVA

Rough_Rock
Well,

I just called 'Bob' at PLI in Baltimore. He wasn't able to get a standalone policy - but...my fiance needed renter's insurance anyway - so she is getting renters with the valuable articles added on -
$264 for a year of renters and the ring coverage (cash payout). ($186) and ($78) for the ring. Not that bad, I think, for insurance with a great company. If anything, I think this is good for getting us 'in the door' with a company that insures the luxury items that we will be content with dreaming about for now
1.gif

Arlington: we did try what you suggested - calling the agents from the website that were local to the NoVA area, but several of them couldn't do it (or should I say, wouldn't do it). I'm sure they were out to make an extra buck...but we just got frustrated and didn't want to spend forever calling 30 different agents. This works out well in the end, since she needed renter's coverage anyway.

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
That is frustrating, particularly for me since I already know that I won't be insuring anything other than the ring (in the near future, at least).

HoosinVA

Rough_Rock
Well, I hope that you are able to find an agent - if you do, please let me know or post the agent's name and phone number. I think we may have found one if we called around for a while - I did email David (something), whos name is posted under some Chubb threads. I asked him about getting a standalone policy....but I haven't heard from him yet - but will post if I do.

HoosinVA

Rough_Rock
Actually, another thought:

'Bob' from PLI did mention that he could do a policy for $20,000 as a standalone jewelry policy. The way around it was getting renter's/homeowner's, and since she needed it...we got it.

Arlington, I don't know what your ring is like, but if you want the phone number, PM me and I'll send it to you.

Another note: yesterday when my fiance was calling around to some of the local agents....one of the agents said: "oh, a $XXXX.00 ring, that is nothing to scoff at" Excuse me...but I think the ring is beautiful, as does my fiance, and I saved up for several months to purchase it......how rude.

I'll try to post pics if I can get some. I have the ones from the GoodoldGold website. It's a RB set in a Dvatche Royal Crown with channel set rounds. The isee2 and brilliancescope score were great..

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/17/2003 1:29:53 PM HoosinVA wrote:

Actually, another thought:

..one of the agents said: 'oh, a $XXXX.00 ring, that is nothing to scoff at' Excuse me...but I think the ring is beautiful, as does my fiance, and I saved up for several months to purchase it......how rude.

----------------

If indeed he used the words "scoff at", doesn't that mean it's you *don't* blow off.

Anyway - yes, it's good to start a relationship w/ one insurer of your choice. I know it's tough to cough up the money for renter's insurance; but, your stuff really adds up. Just one break in & stealing small electronics can run into the thousands fairly quickly.

Also, another note - I have a blanket 20K policy for jewelry - but only if the jewelery is *stolen* from my residence. All my other jewlery is scheduled. The scheduled jewelry is covered in the event of mysterious loss, theft from a gym locker, diamond falling out of setting.

tayd

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/16/2003 8:17:05 PM HoosinVA wrote:

Hi everyone,
I just purchased a ring from Good Old Gold and proposed yesterday. My fiancé called Chubb's 1-877 number today, and not to my surprise, they said that they could not offer insurance. She called several local agents, listed on the website and they all told her that Chubb does not write stand-alone valuable articles insurance policies. I find this hard to believe, seeing that many of you guys have had success insuring through Chubb. Does anyone have ideas for insurance agents in Virginia or any that might be licensed to write policies in Virginia. A search on the forums turned up nothing, so your recommendations of agents or other ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
----------------

I had the same problem when I tried to insure my fiancée ring and most of the agents in Fairfax, VA that I had called wouldn't insure me. Finally, I called Chubb directly and they suggested that I go through Blue Nile (yes, Blue Nile!) who will insure me even though I didn't buy a diamond from them!

Here is the agent's info:

CHUBB INSURANCE SOLUTIONS AGENCY INC (BLUE NILE)
P.O. BOX 1625
WHITEHOUSE STATION , NJ 08889-1625
800-777-2131

Regards,
David

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/3/2003 4:21:33 PM tayd wrote:

----------------
On 10/16/2003 8:17:05 PM HoosinVA wrote:

I had the same problem when I tried to insure my fiancée ring and most of the agents in Fairfax, VA that I had called wouldn't insure me. Finally, I called Chubb directly and they suggested that I go through Blue Nile (yes, Blue Nile!) who will insure me even though I didn't buy a diamond from them!

Here is the agent's info:

CHUBB INSURANCE SOLUTIONS AGENCY INC (BLUE NILE)
P.O. BOX 1625
WHITEHOUSE STATION , NJ 08889-1625
800-777-2131

Regards,
David----------------

Wow, Mara, I hope you see this post. Mystery solved.

Tayd - was the insurance for all event coverage? What approx. did you pay per/thousand? Thanks - it seems like this question comes up quite a bit. Sounds like a possible solution for all those who just want to insure the ring.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes interesting, seems Chubb is partnered with Blue Nile or maybe bought some share in BN or vice versa?

Their costs for insurance here in the Bayarea I think was $2.00 per $100. So for $10k it was $200.
rodent.gif

Brian_DC

Rough_Rock
WOW!!! I don't know what area you are in, but I had NO problem getting CHUBB insurance on my engagement ring. I went through Prince Wood Insurance in Woodbridge, VA. They were listed off the web site. I faxed them the summary page from the apraisal and with the apraised value for payout coverage. They set up the account and had me up and going in a few hours.

I think that it was more of a matter that someone didn't want to sell you a single policy than CHUBB not wanting to give you single coverage. just my 2 cents.

Brian_DC

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
I guess this is a stupid question, but who should be the one getting the insurance? I want to pay for the premium to get the ring insured, but because she will be wearing the ring does that mean she should be the one who gets the policy? Or is it OK for me to get the policy?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
You may want to check w/ the insurer. It is my understanding the insured should be where the ring lives.

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I encountered the same problem initially that you did. I got engaged, and needed to insure my ring. We didn't have renters insurance, and called Chubb who told me that they don't insure rings unless thru blue nile. I got discouraged, but called a Chubb rep around here (I live in the bay area). Told her of my plight, and she was able to get me a valuable articles policy for my ring alone thru Chubb. I told her that I was willing to get renters insurance through them if needed, but they required something like 100k worth of renters insurance coverage before they would insure me - which is about 50k more than I needed. At any rate, she was able to get me a chubb policy for my ring alone. I am sure that the agents can do it, because mine did.

1.gif

kiwifuz

Rough_Rock
I've yet to understand this Chubb thing with them not insuring rings that weren't from blue nile. the reason i think it's particularly odd is because i saw an add for Chubb insurance for e-rings in the latest Martha Stewart bridal magazine...

But i suppose that if it eventually works out it's all okay.
1.gif

Brian_DC

Rough_Rock
As far as who needs to take the policy out, I heard different things from different companies.
One company wanted me to sign something saying that I could not make a claim on the ring, only my fiancee can. Something about not wanting to get in the middle of a dispute if something should go wrong with us. Also wanted to see the ring and have her and I come in to sign the paperwork.
Went with Chubb in the end. Cash payout, they didn't care who had the policy, just where the ring was going to be. (i.e. did it normally stay in-state, in-country, etc.) They didn't even want me to bring the ring in, just show them the appraisal paperwork.

Also, my Chubb policy was not the "engagement ring policy" but the valuable article policy.

Brian_DC

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
Just adding in my experience in case anyone does a search on Chubb in the future. I was able to get a Valuable Articles policy from Chubb through Prince-Wood insurance in Woodbridge, VA. No problems whatsoever. They didn't care whose name the policy was in (mine or my fiancee's), or even which address we used. The only thing they cared about was if I already had coverage through another carrier via homeowners/renters insurance. Since I didn't, there was no problem.

I did the whole thing over the phone in about 20 minutes, and the policy is effective today. All I need to do is fax them my appraisal for their records. It's a full cash payout, and the amount was set by me. I might add that it was very reasonable (about $12/year/$1000 coverage and I live in a pretty expensive area), at least in my opinion.

For all I know, they can write policies for anyone in the country.

Ring101

Rough_Rock
Need to buy standalone insurance for my ring. Anyone had any experience getting the Valuable Article Coverage for the ring ONLY from Chubb in Virginia? Where do I go? Help is appreciated.

YoYoMa

Rough_Rock
You may want to try Erie Insurance (Call Ellis Agency 703-938-9202). I have an Inland Marine Policy covering jewelry and the cost is 90 cents for every $100 of value. I do have home owners and auto through them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results