shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrysoberyl is here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I finally got the crysoberyl that might macth cat''s eyes. In most light (especially sunlight) it looks way more yellow than green. However in shadow the green is more strong. It is such a cool stone because it is VERY bright- it has the glow of a cat''s eye, but maybe more of a yellow cat''s eyes. I have a yellow citrine ring and this crysoberyl makes it look blah. Ahhh- what to do??? Do I keep it? I think the only way I will get an avacado green is with a opaque stone? Here are the photos- it was almost impossible to get cat and stone in same shot.

First pic is the most yellow shot.

Cat eyes 038.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
This next shot and you can sort of see the green (it was hard to photo the green)

Cat eyes 043.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Last shot is closest I got to both in same pic-

Cat eyes 041.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is beautiful. Look at SimplySplendid's thread for ideas. I like some of the ones people posted would work well w/your stone. I think a yellow gold setting would be beautiful!!!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks- if I keep it I will def. use yellow gold. I wear both yellow and white gold so this works for me. I just don''t know if I am going to find a better match? For a greenish crysoberyl- this one is the best.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, your kitty is gorgeous, first and foremost!!! Gw/E...If you truly love this stone and it makes your citrine look blah...mmmm, I''m not sure how to say this diplomatically. I think you should keep looking for the perfect stone. maybe from your pics I can''t tell obviously the beauty of the crysoberyl that you see, because I''m not there IRL, but I think you could do better. Hopefully I''m wrong and it''s just the pics (especially the 2nd one, I think), sorry. Don''t get me wrong, though...if you LOVE this stone then do not pay a bit of attention to what I think--beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say!!!
36.gif
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a very lovely stone, perhaps too yellow under strong lights to match your kitty''s eyes but a beautiful stone nonetheless. It certainly looks greener when away from a light source. Now that you have seen it for yourself, how about telling the vendor you like it but want something a wee bit greener?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you take a close up shot of the stone? I don''t see the details in your shots. Then put the cat''s eyes photos up next to the close up shot, like a collage. I don''t know how to do this but it might help us compare the two better.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are right- the stone is not really the right color- even though in the right light it really has lime look. I just can''t manage to photo the green. There is not one bit of brown tone and actually quite a flashy gem!!!

I love how brillant the crysoberyl is & I learned from PS that it will be more sparkle than a regular tourmaline. Like I said- my favorite ring is a David Yurman huge champagne citrine that i get compliments on ALL the time ... and this crysoberyl makes it look... boring. This stone ( if color was right) could easily be set in a ring and not need any diamond accents because it seriously glows!

I can''t afford a paraiba that will be right size and color (this chrysoberyl is 9.14 ct, 13 x 11.5 mm and that is size I like) - even though ebay options are more affordable. I just don''t trust ebay pictures of colors and most of the ebay Thailand options I have seen are not superb cuts. I hate how I am a newbie and so quickly consider myself a cut snob- shows the value of a good PS education!

I don''t want to do peridot because I think lower on hardness scale. Back to other options...
40.gif

By the way- i emailed Wink again because awhile back he thought Richard might have some options. Maybe he will find something.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
But even Basil agrees- no cigar...

Cat eyes 049.jpg

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Chrysoberyl is a very durable gemstone and would make a very nice ring.

They can be more green but I think that is a beautiful chrysoberyl!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a beautiful stone and i agree it doesn''t totally matches your cat''s eyes. By the way, your cats look very cuddly and cute!

ger100

Shiny_Rock

Hi,

I missed the first parts of this, but I gather you want a stone to match your cat''s eyes. Great idea!

Have you tried Peridot (not expensive), Mali Garnet (ditto), and Sphene (kinda soft, but great sparkle), and of course Demantoid garnet (usually expensive and small...I''ve got one small one which looks like a green diamond).
All of these have various shades of cat-eye green. I''ve got one cat with hazel eyes (a stray)...I should get a stone to match hers too, but then hazel eyes change color. ;-)
This is a nice Mali garnet from worldgemguide.com

mali 2.jpg

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Peridot

peridot 2.jpg

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Sphene

sphene 2.jpg

ger100

Shiny_Rock
One more from same place: Vanadium Chrysoberyl

I''d say that either this one, or the Mali Garnet are purrty close. ;-)
Ger

vanadium chrysoberyl.jpg

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Oh, meant to include that the Vanadium Chrysoberyl is pricey...wouldnt-cha know!
20.gif

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Also...green Sapphires. Check out the variations in green sapphires on this ebay ad. Sorry, could not just copy the photo.
29.gif

Chrysoz

Rough_Rock
That cushion-cut is wonderful! Hope you make a ring of it, it will be exacly as wonderful in jewelery. I would prefer white gold or platine for the settings, maybe it''s just me who thinks it looks better, but it white giold will make an exellent contrast to the stone''s color.
Good luck!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I, too, think it is a beautiful stone. but......... I agree with some of the others. It doesn''t quite match Basil''s eyes. I think you could do better.

Linda

OTTB

Rough_Rock
i think you may need a stone with yellow and blue undertones to the green -- like this cherrypicked sapphire:

green sapphire.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if I can AFFORD a sappire! I just bought my first pair of diamond studs from WF!

I am waiting to get a mint prasiolite from Richard Homer to see if that might work. Will post pics when it arrives!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results