shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrome Pyrope Garnets, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

Chrome pyrope garnets, sometimes know as “anthill” garnets, have the most intense hues in the garnet world. They are called chrome because the coloring agent is chromium, the same element that gives ruby its intense color. Below an intense magenta colored emerald cut chrome pyrope garnet, 1.06cts. The magenta color might be a combination of chromium and vanadium. The magenta gem picture is fairly accurate in color.

This gem was in a sense, created, rather than just purchased. The magenta crystal was one of a kind. It was the only one of that color and tone I have ever seen. The crystal was presented to a top cutter, with not the normal goal of cutting the largest size, but to be cut as thin and as shallow as possible, yet keep good optics and no window. This was requested to increase brilliance.

I showed the magenta chrome pyrope to a fancy sapphire wholesale dealer who had a number of magenta sapphires. He did not recognize that the magenta gem that I showed to him was a garnet! The combination of intense color and brilliance erased any thought of it being anything but sapphire.

purPyGarn106.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous gem. Thanks for information and the picture!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results