shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing The Perfect Ring!

ArturoPerdomo

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, after 3 beautiful years with my girlfriend, I have decided to finally begin looking for an engagement ring. I'm trying to keep it a surprise from her, but I have all the small details I need, courtesy of her best friend. She likes 18k white gold, princess cut diamonds, with a solitaire or cathedral setting. She also prefers quality over size in diamonds. The only catch is that her hands are very small and delicate, and a 1.00 ct would look a bit off on her small fingers. I was thinking maybe something around the .45-.50 ct department. I'm on a bit of a budget, not being able to spend over $1,900 on the total price of the ring, setting and diamond. I'd appreciate it if any of you would be able to lend me a hand in this, this is my first time looking for a ring, and I'm hoping to make it the perfect one :)

ArturoPerdomo

Rough_Rock
Small question - With princess cut diamonds, what would be the lowest grade in color that would still be ideal?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ArturoPerdomo

Rough_Rock
So a G color would be alright? I think you may have posted the setting twice though!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ArturoPerdomo|1304650012|2913606 said:
So a G color would be alright? I think you may have posted the setting twice though!

A G color is totally all right!

ArturoPerdomo

Rough_Rock
That setting is absolutely gorgeous! Unfortunately it's out of my budget, but what can you do!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
maybe call WF and see if they can order a stock cathedral setting if you don't like the tiffany style? otherwise I think the tiffany style would be a great classic choice.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ArturoPerdomo|1304651100|2913623 said:
That setting is absolutely gorgeous! Unfortunately it's out of my budget, but what can you do!

You get the generic version! WF offers this setting here for princess stones, see the bottom of the page for links! This is a setting offered from a casting company so it is less money. I have a setting from the same casting company and can attest it is very good quality for the price. I think it might just fit your budget with the F VS1 linked above?

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...f-surprises-solitaire-engagement-ring-477.htm

ArturoPerdomo

Rough_Rock
I think a Tiffany would be just as good as a cathedral, not a significant difference, and if I go for a simple setting, I can splurge a little more on the diamond.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ArturoPerdomo|1304651405|2913630 said:
I think a Tiffany would be just as good as a cathedral, not a significant difference, and if I go for a simple setting, I can splurge a little more on the diamond.

It is unlikely that you will be able to buy a stone over the 0.50ct mark that is an AGS0, meaning it has a cut grade given by a reputable lab (this means a really sparkly diamond), even the ones that slg linked above that are juuust over the .50ct mark are not going to look much bigger than the .46 she originally posted. I guess my point is that a few extra hunded won't make such a huge difference that it is worth aiming for a simpler setting unless you want to come in under budget.

ArturoPerdomo

Rough_Rock
Very true. I just hope she likes what I end up choosing. I would buy her a more elegant ring if I had the assets for it, but sadly as of now I do not.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ArturoPerdomo|1304651746|2913637 said:
Very true. I just hope she likes what I end up choosing. I would buy her a more elegant ring if I had the assets for it, but sadly as of now I do not.

if she likes princess cut solitaire I think she will be thrilled, especially since it is coming from you :) Plus if you go with the WF diamond it is upgradable so in the future if you can, you can upgrade to a larger diamond. I think that one is a great choice if she wants high color/clarity, plus it is an ACA so it is a really well cut diamond. And as Dreamer mentioned there are not a lot of AGS0s in that size/color/clarity combo so you might want to reserve it so no one takes it (not obligated to buy).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ArturoPerdomo|1304651746|2913637 said:

Everyone has a budget. You are actually getting her a very generous e-ring by most standards! The average size e-ring in the US is about .30ct!

ArturoPerdomo

Rough_Rock
I'm very surprised by that! I see so many women out there with 1.00 ct and 2.00 ct rings! If I reserve the diamond though, will it stay reserved until I can pay for it or can someone else take it?

I'm REALLY inclined to reserve that diamond. I feel as though she would simply love it. However I'm only JUST starting to save up for it, so I'm not sure if they would let me hold on to it for some time to come.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think reserve is only for 24 hours.. but that's okay, there will always be another stone when you're ready to buy!

You know, I'd actually recommend you call a couple of vendors and tell them what you're looking for, and when you'll be ready to buy (in a couple of weeks or so?) - you can have them keep an eye out for promising candidates for you, too.

Also - w/ the prices of gold so ridiculous and only getting ridiculous-er perhaps do consider 14k which will free up your budget a bit more for the stone - you won't see the difference btwn 14k and 18k once plated, and if the stone is in decently made Vprongs I shouldn't think it's all that much more of a durability risk.

ETA: Try DanielM on Etsy for the setting (http://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry) - lots of PSers have had them make some nice pieces, if you do a search, at lower pricepoints than the usual PS vendors.

ArturoPerdomo

Rough_Rock
Ahh - Just my luck I suppose. It's a gorgeous stone nonetheless, I just hope I can find one like it when I'm ready.

I have looked around in my town, and went to a store at the mall called Fink's. They showed me a few settings and told me about the diamonds they offered, but nothing seemed to quite stand out. WhiteFlash looks like it would be a very good choice to purchase the diamond, I've also considered Blue Nile and James Allen, but those two are a bit more expensive.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That PC diamond at WF is gorgeous. It would be a very pretty diamond. I would ask WF what basic solitaire setting they could get for you with that diamond or buy the diamond and look around locally for a setting.

Ickeymouse

Rough_Rock
AP, I think this looks like a very pretty stone! .57 I I1... http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7336/
The reason the price is so much lower I believe is due to the color I and the clarity grade being an I1, but depending on why/how it got that grade, may not really take away from the real life beauty of the stone. Also, it says that it has a faint fluorescence, so that may even help kick up the look of the color a notch. I think it is really worth giving them a call and asking about it. Also ask them to email you the actual GIA certification, so maybe you can see better where the flaws are. Also, when you call them, just ask their opinion of it. Plus, they have a 30 day money back return policy if it turns out you don't really like it after all.

Good Old Gold also just started a 6 months 0% financing (pay in increments) option, http://www.goodoldgold.com/financing/ that you can apply for online too.

Here is an AGSO from exceldiamonds.com, .53 G SI2, about the same price
http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_Princess_Cut_Diamond-144/Loose_Princess_Cut_0.53_Carat_G_Color_SI2_Clarity_diamond-564517.html
But you have to ask excel to bring the stone in and get 10X photo, BS photo and ASET photo and to evaluate,for you. Also, excel does not finance.

Both sites can get you settings too. But you could also just buy the stone, then keep on saving up for the setting. When you are ready, you can either send it back to them to set, or find a local jeweler, and pick a setting from him/her to set it in.

There is no rule that says you have to buy everything all at once!

Congratulations, and enjoy!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I forgot to say about your budget, don't feel bad about it at all. My first wedding ring was $300 because that is all that he could afford, and I didn't care I wore it proudly. =)

ArturoPerdomo

Rough_Rock
I got a call today from someone named Victoria from White Flash after registering with them. She mentioned that princess cut diamonds are smaller than brilliant round ones. Does anyone know someone that has a .50 ct princess cut diamond ring? I'd really like to see one on a hand rather than just the shots they show online.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another thought if she likes the square look, a hearts and arrows cushion from GOG, and I am sure they would work with you to get a setting within your budget. It has that square look, but sparkles just as much as a round hearts and arrows making it seem larger. And this one does meausre larger than the princess cuts I previously posted. I think it would look stunning in a solitaire setting.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7905/

ArturoPerdomo

Rough_Rock
Hello again everyone! Sadly I was unable to keep the ring a secret from my girlfriend, but we have talked and I've gained a little more insight into what she wants. Apparently a round brilliant would be just as fine as a princess! I think I'm going to shoot a little higher than my budget if I can to get her a hearts and arrows! We also visited a local jeweler and a .58 seems to suit her very nicely. She also seems to be interested in Tacori settings, so I'm going to have to see if I can go for that too. The process is probably going to take me longer than I had previously thought, but as long as I make her happy I'm perfectly fine with that. My idea is to get everything organized within the next year or so, I hope I can come back here and find the perfect diamond! I'm very interested in buying the diamond from White Flash or Good Old Gold, whichever one of the two presents the better opportunity. Thanks to everyone who helped previously! I really do appreciate everything!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ArturoPerdomo|1304828482|2915290 said:
Hello again everyone! Sadly I was unable to keep the ring a secret from my girlfriend, but we have talked and I've gained a little more insight into what she wants. Apparently a round brilliant would be just as fine as a princess! I think I'm going to shoot a little higher than my budget if I can to get her a hearts and arrows! We also visited a local jeweler and a .58 seems to suit her very nicely. She also seems to be interested in Tacori settings, so I'm going to have to see if I can go for that too. The process is probably going to take me longer than I had previously thought, but as long as I make her happy I'm perfectly fine with that. My idea is to get everything organized within the next year or so, I hope I can come back here and find the perfect diamond! I'm very interested in buying the diamond from White Flash or Good Old Gold, whichever one of the two presents the better opportunity. Thanks to everyone who helped previously! I really do appreciate everything!

if you are looking at a Tacori setting, GOG is a Tacori authorized dealer so that might be a good option. However you may have to increase your budget...Tacori settings are pricey!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Just to let you know that Good Old Gold now offers financing I didnt look into it when I purchased my stone however it might be something worth finding out more info about if you found diamond and setting you like ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results