shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing sapphire - I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sloe-eyed

Rough_Rock
I would love some advice...looking for an untreated sapphire for my engagement ring (my boyfriend asked me to pick one out) but am having trouble figuring out the price structure, mostly because untreated sapphires are hard to find and it''s difficult to comparison shop.

I like this one at the Natural Sapphire Company (last one on page: http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nsc/products.aspx?StoneCategory=Blue #B1032)

My question is, why does the price vary? The one above mine is smaller but more expensive, as is the one that''s four places up from mine. Is it the color or inclusions that I can''t see? I checked cherrypicked.com for comparison, but they don''t have many comparable stones.

Any help or advice would really be appreciated! Also any setting recommendations would be great - I like antiquey dainty settings from what I''ve seen so far.

Thank you! I''ve learned a lot already just by reading past posts.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Sloe-eyed....welcome!

I think the link you posted goes to the wrong page...is it stone #B1032 that you''re considering?

Why don''t you call them up and ask them to talk you through the differences? I imagine there''s something (sparkle, liveliness, perhaps?) that accounts for the price differences...

Good luck and have fun on your search!
widget

PS: I tried to link the proper page and couldn''t do it either.
20.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
You're looking for a 2ct untreated blue ? Nice !

Is this a better link
to the sapphire you have your eye on? About 2 grand/ct?

That's a nice sapphire - I like that NSC has videos now too.

NSC has a couple of other high end sapphires in this size -

B1031 and B1019 which have costs of 2200 and 2400/ct.

Also they have B991 for about 1200/ct

Okay if I have made the right assumptions - then I will take the following WAG based on what I have seen on their site.

B1032 has a better color - more rich saturated corn flower blue than the others (vivid). B1031 and B1019 have a less intense color but better cut and may sparkle better. B991's color is not so rich or intense and is not cut well and is a little on the shallow side.

Now this is all WAG's - why not pick up the phone and chat with Michael Arnstein and get the real scoop- he is a respectable guy.

About the prices - well the question I always want to know "am I paying a fair price for what I am getting" - and only a good independent appraiser/lab can tell you that. You can have this done during your evaluation/return period.You could also have more than one sent to you for you consideration.

For comparsion - a high end sapphire from cherrypicked that sold is this one around $2500/ct with AGTA cert.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hey Bertrand...

MUCH better response than mine!!!
1.gif

What''s a WAG???

widget

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Wild A$$ Guess

9.gif

sloe-eyed

Rough_Rock
Sorry about the link, I couldn''t figure out how to do it properly.

Widget and Bertrand, thanks for your advice. I''ve actually gone to NSC and looked at the stones and picked that one out due to the color, but I felt like I should be more aware of the more technical reasons for its value other than color. I had a nice long sit-down with Steven at NSC but can never be 100% sure that I''m not getting scammed - clearly I know nothing about things like windowing and zoning, etc. I think they have a good rep, from what I''ve read here, so I guess I just needed confirmation.

How can you tell that a sapphire like B991 is not cut well? Is it the lack of sparkle in the photograph, or can you judge from the facets. For the other two that you pointed out, Bertrand, would be be better to choose the lighter color, better cut ones than the one I originally picked, with intense color but less sparkle? In the shop, it was hard for me to decide between the colors because they were all beautiful.

Thanks again! Now I feel as if I''m getting a decent value.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Hey that’s great you actually got to go their offices and review the stones yourself - if you saw the others and picked the one that spoke to you - then that’s what is most important. I think your dealing with great sapphires and were are discussing subtle differences - but again you picked the one you liked.

Only think I could think of in evaluating the sapphires would have been to look at it outside the store (sunlight) and to to have put in loosely in some setting - as you may see some darkening when set. Are you going to have side stones like diamonds? The reason I ask is that perhaps a slightly lighter tone, but more brillance would be nicer for a solitare setting. But if you add some diamonds not so much and issue - but these are all WAG's.

Just a guess on the cut for the cheaper one - or more to the point that it is shallow (58%) depth - which may contribute to the less strong color - but of course larger face up size.

Your dealing with a reputable and respected dealer – but – the next step before you buy it – is to take it home and see how it performs for you before you commit for life
2.gif

Usually you get 7-14 days to take your loose gem home and look at it under all kinds of lights (for a day or two) then I would take it to an appraiser for a full workup (make appointment ahead of time). I prefer GIA color system – but I appreciate it as part of an overall appraisal. Also confirmation of no treatments.

The only risk you take is spending $100-300 (WAG) for the appraisal if you end up with less than stellar results - which I doubt - and you will need that appraisal for insurance later anyway.

Please keep us posted with details along the way.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely agree with Bertrand that the stone that "speaks to you" is the one you should get!

How wonderful that you got to see them in person...

I personallly would probably not go for a workup or appraisal, since this stone is coming from such a reputable dealer, but that's just me.

But I would be tempted to have it sent off to the AGTA for a lab report confirming that it is untreated. If sometime in the future your wanted to sell it, I think an AGTA report would have more clout than an "in-house" cert.

If you get it, take lots of pictures! The color looks just yummy!
3.gif

widget

sloe-eyed

Rough_Rock
You guys rock. Thanks so much! I will definitely post pics when I bring it home.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results