shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing eternity band - finger width vs finger length?

gingerolive

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am thinking of getting an eternity band as a wedding band (non stacking) and was wondering what width would look best on my short chubby fingers.

Two trains of thought I had:
(1) With thicker fingers, I should go with a wider band to prevent muffin top and avoid having the band look too delicate (hence making my finger look fatter ).
(2) With shorter fingers, I have less length to work with and should choose a thinner band for a more proportional look.

What do y’all think? I’ve tried on a 2mm and think it looks a little thin, but also feel like my eyes are just not used to seeing a band on mg finger. Also, I kinda wish the eternity band showed more metal (rose gold) instead of being a row of bling.

Do you have any advice for me on how to proceed? The 2mm for sure feels real comfy on my hand, I almost don’t even feel it on!

side question: does anyone know how a reset or upgrade works for eternity bands? Does the original metal get reused? Do upgrade policies generally allow you to trade in natural stones for lab grown (thinking I may go this route)?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go thinner to be able to make a stack with your engagement ring. You can change it up. Thicker will make your finger look wider and shorter.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure about the width of the band, but are you looking at prong set or channel set? With channel set you will see a little more metal.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Don't know if this helps but I have a shorter, fleshier hand that fluctuates quite a bit and my band is a 3mm. I can stack or wear alone easily. In fact I usually wear it with two other rings. So, all together it takes up around 8-8.5mm.
Pic1: with major swelling.............Pic2: no swelling
20230318_204200.jpg 913877

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know if this helps but I have a shorter, fleshier hand that fluctuates quite a bit and my band is a 3mm. I can stack or wear alone easily. In fact I usually wear it with two other rings. So, all together it takes up around 8-8.5mm.
20230318_204200.jpg 20221119_114726.jpg

Love the 3 ring look

gingerolive

Rough_Rock
I would go thinner to be able to make a stack with your engagement ring. You can change it up. Thicker will make your finger look wider and shorter.

Hey! I won’t be stacking it with my engagement ring and will most move my ering to my right hand :) nice to have the option to stack them though!

gingerolive

Rough_Rock
20230318_204200.jpg 20221119_114726.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I feel you on the swelling :D

3mm is such a great size on you! That’s what I’d want too - versatile enough to wear alone or as part of a stack (although optimising for the former).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My channel set band is 3mm. I can see two thin strips of the metal. Not too small that it hides under the engagement ring but not too wide either. I have shorter fingers. You can see it in my avatar and some of my other pictures.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I am thinking of getting an eternity band as a wedding band (non stacking) and was wondering what width would look best on my short chubby fingers.

Two trains of thought I had:
(1) With thicker fingers, I should go with a wider band to prevent muffin top and avoid having the band look too delicate (hence making my finger look fatter ).
(2) With shorter fingers, I have less length to work with and should choose a thinner band for a more proportional look.

What do y’all think? I’ve tried on a 2mm and think it looks a little thin, but also feel like my eyes are just not used to seeing a band on mg finger. Also, I kinda wish the eternity band showed more metal (rose gold) instead of being a row of bling.

Do you have any advice for me on how to proceed? The 2mm for sure feels real comfy on my hand, I almost don’t even feel it on!

side question: does anyone know how a reset or upgrade works for eternity bands? Does the original metal get reused? Do upgrade policies generally allow you to trade in natural stones for lab grown (thinking I may go this route)?

If you want to see more metal you can get a bead set eternity band.

Upgrade policies usually don't apply to eternity bands but of course, it would depend on where you get it. Ask in advance.
You're adding a whole nother level of complexity of wanting to go from Earth-minded to lab. I know of no one who does
this. As I said, just finding someone who does an upgrade on an eternity is going to be difficult.

If you need to go up in size then they (DK? or jeweler of choice) will most likely order a new setting or have a new one made. Not a
cheap redo because they have to pull out all the old stones and reset them plus buy some more to make it bigger.

If your finger varies a lot in size an eternity band may not be a good option. You don't really want to order an eternity
band with plans of upgrading. A lot of people who buy one and want to upgrade sell the old one and buy a new one.
Some people have gone to DK to have their setting changed though.

3mm does look good on a size 8. I might even go slightly bigger.

This is what a wider bead set eternity would look like.
bead set eternity.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cflutist had this one made with side rails to protect her ering. It shows more metal but in a good way.
It is also 3mm wide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results