shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing diamonds for 5 stone ring.

sherpagirl

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow PS friends!

I am excited to have begun on a journey to create a 5-stone diamond wedding band that will serve as both the engagement ring and wedding band. I have been working with BGD who has just been fabulous and very helpful and patient in answering all my questions! Ideally, I am looking for stones in the .30 ct range, for a tcw of about 1.5. My finger size is just about a 5 (maybe 5.25).

BGD has recommended the following H&A stones:

AGS .306, VS2, F, Ideal
AGS .307, VS2, F, Ideal
AGS .308, VS2, F, Ideal
AGS .310, VS2, F, Ideal
AGS .311, VS2, F, Ideal

I am told that all of these diamonds are within .02mm in size difference.

My question is: what other factors do I need to consider in selecting 5 stones for this band?I have been reading about solitaire/center stones, and looking at symmetry, girdle, depth, etc. and wondered how much this weighs into the selections I am considering here? Should I ask BGD for other options? Are the stones recommended above good?

I am torn between the U prong band and the trellis B band! And - what is everyone's thoughts on white gold vs. platinum for a 5-stone? Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks good to me... :love: :appl:
WG vs PT?...depends on the price difference.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, I think you can choose stones ranging from 0.30 ct up to 0.35 ct and still get a uniform (same size stones) ring. The size difference is very small and not readily noticeable. If desired, you can request a certain order of stone placement with the largest stone in the middle.

Second, I would choose eye-clean, SI1 diamonds to save some money (about $80-$100 savings each). For small stone size, it is difficult to spot inclusions. Of course, if you are particular about clarity, then by all means spend extra to get VS2.

Third and most importantly, I would insist on BGD signature diamonds or Whiteflash ACA diamonds. This way, I need not worry about the details such as girdle thickness and the other parameters. Besides, I can be sure that I get the most gorgeous, top-cut diamonds. Since I like fire, I generally pick diamonds with 61%-62% depth, 54%-57% table, 34.3-35 degrees crown and 40.6-40.8 degrees pavillion angles.

For the setting, I have both the U-prong and Trellis. You can do a search on one of my threads about the Whiteflash's perfect Trellis. There, you will see comparison photos of both styles. My U-prong is similar to BGD's U-prong. It is comfortable and beautiful. My Trellis is very different than BGD's version. I prefer mine, because it has more curvy swoops and higher set stones, so the setting looks more elegant and the diamonds appear larger. Both rings are very comfortable, and I love them very much.

In terms of workmanship and customer service, I think both BGD and Whitflash are about the same. However, I keep going back to Whiteflash for many good reasons. Whiteflash has been building my jewelry box since two and a half years ago (when I first discovered Pricescope). They just made me an eternity ring, and there are two projects in the work. I need not elaborate, as my purchases speak loudly about how happy Whteflash has kept me as a loyal customer. While you inquire about BGD, it does not hurt to do compariosn shopping with Whiteflash as well.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Forgot to answer your question about platinum vs white gold. For rings, I definitely get platinum. For other jewelry such as necklaces, bracelets, and earrings, I sometimes get WG for the savings. I guess rings get more "abuse" than earrings and necklaces.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would get platinum and I prefer trellis to Uprong. Unless you need F VS2 for "mind clean" I would get G Si1 and save some $...

sherpagirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions and helpful comments!

With stones being in the .30 range, would the clarity (VS2 vs. SI1) or color (F vs. G) be more important in terms of value? In other words, would I see much difference in 5 SI1 F color stones, versus 5 SI1 G color stones, versus 5 VS2 G stones? I am looking for ways to be mindful about the final cost. The BG diamonds that were recommended are all signature, so hopefully all the options are good stones?

Also, I have looked at the lab reports for each diamond, and where the inclusions are. How would I know whether the SI1's are eye clean, with not being able to see the diamonds? Is there something specific on the lab report I should be looking at to ensure eye clean on an SI1 stone?

Thanks so much!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you could ask BGD if the stones are eye-clean. however you want to also make sure they are mind-clean for you. as far as F vs G...maybe try to visit some diamonds in person in those sizes to see what you like? you may see a difference or you may not.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sherpagirl|1318102333|3036095 said:
Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions and helpful comments!

With stones being in the .30 range, would the clarity (VS2 vs. SI1) or color (F vs. G) be more important in terms of value? In other words, would I see much difference in 5 SI1 F color stones, versus 5 SI1 G color stones, versus 5 VS2 G stones? I am looking for ways to be mindful about the final cost. The BG diamonds that were recommended are all signature, so hopefully all the options are good stones?

Also, I have looked at the lab reports for each diamond, and where the inclusions are. How would I know whether the SI1's are eye clean, with not being able to see the diamonds? Is there something specific on the lab report I should be looking at to ensure eye clean on an SI1 stone?

Thanks so much!

My U-prong ring contains G/H VS2/SI1 diamonds. My Trellis contains four F SI1 and one G SI1 stones. In terms of clarity, I cannot see any inclusions with my naked eyes and the hearts scope (guess 5x-8x magnification). All my stones are "eye-clean" per Whiteflash's determination, and they range form 0.40ct to 0.54ct.

As for color differentiation, I can see a minor color difference between my U-prong diamonds and Trellis diamonds ONLY when I place the two rings side by side (next ot each other). For stones in the same ring, I cannot see any color difference. That is, I cannot tell which diamonds are G and which are H in my U-prong. I have no clue where the G's are, because the diamonds were randomly set. Similarly, I cannot tell any color difference between the one G and the other four F's in my Trellis ring. In this case, I know the placement of the one G, because it is the largest stone (0.54ct), and I specified it to be placed in the middle. Before I finalized my decision on the diamonds and before the diamonds were set, I asked Whiteflash to check if they could see any color difference when placing the selected diamonds in a row. Their answer was yes only on the edge but not straight down. Now, after the diamonds are set, I cannot see any color difference, sideways or from top, between the middle G and its adjacent F neighbors.

Next time when I select a set of stones for jewelry, I would not hesitate mixing colors of 2 grades and would shoot for G/H and eye-clean Si1 diamonds. If there aren't enough stones available, I would consider F/G. However, I would still maintain Si1, because I definitely cannot see any inclusions in the "eye-clean" Si1 diamonds. If you want maximum cost savings and if the stones are available, then get all H Si1, because top-cut stones (especially 5 in a row) are so sparkling that will distract you from even noticing color or clarity. If you are not sure about H color, then get all G Si1 just to be on the safe side.

As for your last question about inclusions on the lab report, I always check the lab reports and diamond photos (including ASETs and ISs) to make sure that there are no large inclusions in the table area. Other than that, I take the vendor's words regarding "eye-clean", because
1. the diamonds are top cut,
2. the vendor is WF or BGD (I trust their assessment), and
3. the diamonds are small size (3 ct or larger must be eye-clean VS2 minimum).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results