shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing between two pear-shaped diamonds for an engagement ring - need advice! :)

pocky

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I've been on the hunt for a pear-shaped diamond for an engagement ring, and I have narrowed down between two options.

Option 1: 1.31 Carats, E, VS1 - https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=LG532261471
- Video 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Li-afaZSXUzEWA5fMokicKtfIr-InS1w/view?usp=sharing
- Video 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S8ubtw6dPER1B1eVerKuOXvdnkMQm-YH/view

Option 2: 1.1 Carats, E, VS1 - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=320963423
- Video 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vA1CEQhCaLOHAFSx4Zmd5Oq3qGYAnhC5/view?usp=sharing
- Video 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XWOqlZ6Oa3VbSNgGrOadm37ECnrETFqs/view

A couple other things to note. I'll likely be going with an 18k carat rose gold setting, with little diamonds on each side of the centerpiece. Also, my girlfriend's ring size is a 5, and she doesn't want anything "too large." Note that the hand model in the video is not my girlfriend, and is with a size 5.5 hand.

The lightings seem to be a bit different in each video, but based on the videos, I like the gleam that you get from Option 1, however, I think Option 2 is a slightly better size for my girlfriend's thin fingers.

Let me know if you have any feedback on the quality of the diamonds and how they look, and how you think they would fit with my girlfriend's finger!

Thank You!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not get Video 1 for either stone to work. The second videos aren't up close enough to tell anything one way
or the other. Are the stones listed online with up-close videos you can link for us?

ariaaaa

Rough_Rock
Pears are so much fun! I'm curious what others with much more experience here will say, but it looks like on the second option that you can see right through the center? The first option has a similar dark spot in the middle, but that might just be a reflection.

^ just an average person's opinion though, I could very much be wrong!

pocky

Rough_Rock

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the cut of 1 better, but as ariaaaa mentioned I would want to make sure that the black spot isn’t noticeable. Do you have lab reports for these?

pocky

Rough_Rock

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're in the original post!

Re-pasting here for reference :) Thanks for taking a look!

Option 1: 1.31 Carats, E, VS1 - https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=LG532261471

Option 2: 1.1 Carats, E, VS1 - https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=320963423

Thanks, I missed that. The plot and VS1 makes me think that the black inclusion won’t be noticeable but it doesn’t hurt to ask.
Tagging @DejaWiz as he is much more knowledgeable than I.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PriceScope, pocky!
Doubtful that the carbon spot would be noticable at normal viewing distances to casual observers and admirers, but it may be noticable to you once you get used to finding and seeing it at very close distances, but it would likely have to be in just the right lighting at just the right angle to locate and see it.
Ask the seller to send you some videos of it in various lighting conditions showing varying distances to confirm.

Screenshot_20220720-173759.png

pocky

Rough_Rock
Doubtful that the carbon spot would be noticable at normal viewing distances to casual observers and admirers, but it may be noticable to you once you get used to finding and seeing it at very close distances, but it would likely have to be in just the right lighting at just the right angle to locate and see it.
Ask the seller to send you some videos of it in various lighting conditions showing varying distances to confirm.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Wow, I did not see that tiny dark spot. I thought others were talking about the black reflection you see in the diamond at certain angles, but this little blemish is definitely a concern for me.

Did you have any concerns or opinions about Option 2's diamond?

Thanks again for the help!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the warm welcome! Wow, I did not see that tiny dark spot. I thought others were talking about the black reflection you see in the diamond at certain angles, but this little blemish is definitely a concern for me.

Did you have any concerns or opinions about Option 2's diamond?

Thanks again for the help!

Nothing concerning about the clarity for #2.
Since these are with Ada, see if they can get you ASET scope images for them.

pocky

Rough_Rock
Nothing concerning about the clarity for #2.
Since these are with Ada, see if they can get you ASET scope images for them.

It looks like they'll be able to get me the ASET images for Option #1 tomorrow and for Option #2 in 3-4 business days.

Here was the response I received from my concierge, when I asked about the black speck:

"The HD media is taken with 20x magnification and I will not be able to capture the diamond at different angles this way. Were you able to open the on hand media? Do you still see what you are seeing there? :)"

While I can't see the spec in the media where the diamond is shown on the hand model, shouldn't it still be of concern to me? Or am I overthinking things here?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It looks like they'll be able to get me the ASET images for Option #1 tomorrow and for Option #2 in 3-4 business days.

Here was the response I received from my concierge, when I asked about the black speck:

"The HD media is taken with 20x magnification and I will not be able to capture the diamond at different angles this way. Were you able to open the on hand media? Do you still see what you are seeing there? :)"

While I can't see the spec in the media where the diamond is shown on the hand model, shouldn't it still be of concern to me? Or am I overthinking things here?

That's fantastic that they'll get ASET images!

The spot of carbon may not be remotely visible to the naked eye without magnification.
Here's the catch: do you want a diamond that is clean to your eyes, or does it need to be clean to your mind? My wife and I are perfectly fine with clean to the eyes: what we can't see won't hurt us.
For many others, the mind clean factor takes precedence.
No wrong choice!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If they have a good return policy and you decide on option #1 for its cut, you can bring it home to see if the inclusion is a problem for you in day-to-day viewing.

pocky

Rough_Rock
That's fantastic that they'll get ASET images!

The spot of carbon may not be remotely visible to the naked eye without magnification.
Here's the catch: do you want a diamond that is clean to your eyes, or does it need to be clean to your mind? My wife and I are perfectly fine with clean to the eyes: what we can't see won't hurt us.
For many others, the mind clean factor takes precedence.
No wrong choice!

This conversation is so helpful! I'll do some thinking and consult my girlfriend as well. Thank you for all of these wonderful insights and things to consider! I'll report back once I receive the ASET images.

pocky

Rough_Rock
If they have a good return policy and you decide on option #1 for its cut, you can bring it home to see if the inclusion is a problem for you in day-to-day viewing.

Something to consider as well - this is very helpful. Thank you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
pocky, do you mind sharing what you budget range is for just the loose diamond?

We'd love to give you some recommendations from highly trusted and vetted vendors (we're not affiliates, so we don't have any motives) so that you can have some prime options to choose from.

pocky

Rough_Rock
pocky, do you mind sharing what you budget range is for just the loose diamond?

We'd love to give you some recommendations from highly trusted and vetted vendors (we're not affiliates, so we don't have any motives) so that you can have some prime options to choose from.

I would say that my budget for the loose diamond is about $3.5k. Here are the specifications I'm looking at:

Shape: Pear
Size: 1-1.3 carats
Clarity: VS1-VVS2
Color: E-F
Ratio: Between 1.5-1.6

Based on these specs, however, I don't think the loose diamond should be more than 2.5-3k.

Happy to explore other options, as it seems as if I only have these two options currently from Ada at the moment.

Thank You!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I would say that my budget for the loose diamond is about $3.5k. Here are the specifications I'm looking at:

Shape: Pear
Size: 1-1.3 carats
Clarity: VS1-VVS2
Color: E-F
Ratio: Between 1.5-1.6

Based on these specs, however, I don't think the loose diamond should be more than 2.5-3k.

Happy to explore other options, as it seems as if I only have these two options currently from Ada at the moment.

Thank You!

You have a fantastic budget for finding a beautiful LGD pear cut!

Here is one example that I found on the PriceScope search engine (all vetted vendors):

Another option is Jon's (Rhino) new LGD Distinctive Pear...they are custom cut and about as perfect light return as can be achieved with a pear (the videos are done with the prototype made from Moissanite, so be aware of the double refraction and visual difference...the diamond version will look and act as a proper diamond does).
1.25 carat is only $3000!
I highly, highly recommend that you reach out to Jon and get more info on this new pear that he has developed:

pocky

Rough_Rock
You have a fantastic budget for finding a beautiful LGD pear cut!

Here is one example that I found on the PriceScope search engine (all vetted vendors):

Another option is Jon's (Rhino) new LGD Distinctive Pear...they are custom cut and about as perfect light return as can be achieved with a pear (the videos are done with the prototype made from Moissanite, so be aware of the double refraction and visual difference...the diamond version will look and act as a proper diamond does).
1.25 carat is only $3000!
I highly, highly recommend that you reach out to Jon and get more info on this new pear that he has developed:

Again, very helpful. The girlfriend actually wants to avoid having a diamond over too large for her finger (she wants to stay anywhere from 1-1.3'ish cts), so the 1.76 option you shared is unlikely an option.

However, I'll definitely take a look into Jon's LGD Distinctive Pear and reach out. Thank you again for the lead and information!

pocky

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz and everyone else in this thread. Just wanted to share that I proposed last night, using a distinctive pear from Jon's (@Rhino) program! The final piece came out absolutely stunning!

Carat: 1.62
Color: E
Clarity: VVS2

In diffuse lighting: https://v360.in/August/vision360.html?d=LGDISTPEAR162PRELIM
In spot lighting: https://v360.in/August/vision360.html?d=LGDISTPEAR162PRELIM-SPARKLE
In a video in various lighting Jon put together:

Added a couple of photos in the final setting, which is also stunning!

Thank you all for your support here - this couldn't have been done without you, especially Jon!

Final Ring - 1.jpg

Attachments

• Final Ring - 2.jpg
    Final Ring - 2.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 47

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to you and yours, Pocky!
Beautiful diamond!

Lpsl

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz and everyone else in this thread. Just wanted to share that I proposed last night, using a distinctive pear from Jon's (@Rhino) program! The final piece came out absolutely stunning!

In diffuse lighting: https://v360.in/August/vision360.html?d=LGDISTPEAR162PRELIM
In spot lighting: https://v360.in/August/vision360.html?d=LGDISTPEAR162PRELIM-SPARKLE

Thank you all for your support here - this couldn't have been done without you, especially Jon!

Final Ring - 1.jpg

Congratulations on your engagement- this is a gorgeous ring - classic, yet unique setting. Setting spotlights the stone beautifully ♥️

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Good gravy, Rhino - you've performed another miracle...that pear is beyond perfect!
pocky you couldn't have found a better pear!
I've watched Jon's video a few times now and it keeps getting better the more I view it.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

Final Ring - 1.jpg

Congratulations! You couldn’t have gotten a better stone, at least based on what I saw in the video of this one. Excellent work!

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely stunning!!! Congratulations!!! :kiss2:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous!! Congratulations on your engagement!

JenniferMarie90

Shiny_Rock

I have a spot similar to this on my ACA, I can only see it in very specific lighting, with a hawkeye and the ring about 5 inches from my face. It looks "noticeable" in the magnified pics but IRL its no biggie at all.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement @pocky!!! The ring is gorgeous. It looks beautiful on her hand. Thank you sharing the video.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thank you for the kind words @pocky and for trusting me with the cutting of this beauty. It is, hands down the most remarkable pear we've seen or cut *ever* and it brings me joy to see you and your fiance loving it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results