shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing between two emerald cuts!

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
Hello, first post here in a really long time! I would love your alls help in looking at two emerald cut diamonds I just purchased. I will receive one in about a week and the other one in about two weeks *hopefully*

I’ve been reading up on past threads about this cut, so I’ve tried to apply what little knowledge I have about emerald cuts to my selections. But I’d love to get some of the expert advice on here! Maybe @Karl_K or @musicloveranthony could give some early thoughts while I wait for the stones to come in?

Both stones are *supposed* to have excellent light return and be eye clean.

Diamond 1: 1.61 H VS2 https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG544283328
Diamond 2: 1.7 G VS1 https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG547258266

Thank you in advance!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
YES!!! videos that spin them the right way!!!
First one is nice and flashy and walks the light across given the limits of the video setup its a good sign!

Second one is a little more contrast ie little more dark zone in the pattern and darker virtual facets as they flash off. This is not a bad thing to a degree because it makes the on flashes look brighter.
It is just as flashy as the first and walks the light.

So basically 2 nice stones with indications of slightly different personalities.
Viewing them in many lighting conditions would be needed to say more.
ASET images are nice to confirm a few things remotely but since you have them on the way just your eyes will do the same thing, view them in as many conditions as possible.

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
YES!!! videos that spin them the right way!!!
First one is nice and flashy and walks the light across given the limits of the video setup its a good sign!

Second one is a little more contrast ie little more dark zone in the pattern and darker virtual facets as they flash off. This is not a bad thing to a degree because it makes the on flashes look brighter.
It is just as flashy as the first and walks the light.

So basically 2 nice stones with indications of slightly different personalities.
Viewing them in many lighting conditions would be needed to say more.
ASET images are nice to confirm a few things remotely but since you have them on the way just your eyes will do the same thing, view them in as many conditions as possible.

Thank you for the quick reply! I thought I knew what “walking the light” meant but wanted to confirm that these stones do it nicely. I asked for ASET images but unfortunately they didn’t have anything other than the videos. I will be sure to observe them in all sorts of different lighting when I get them, I’m also glad I’ll have time to see them together to compare, because I have no idea what personality I like best!

Did the proportions seem right to you or do those not matter so much if the stone looks good?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Did the proportions seem right to you or do those not matter so much if the stone looks good?
They are fine, whats important is they work well together more than any one number. I do pay attention to the crown height and they are both in the ok range.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Unsolicited from the uneducated, I like (love) #1. It's a bit deeper than the 2nd one and I think that can make an EC very special.
I'll be so interested to see how you like them IRL and which one you choose!

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
Unsolicited from the uneducated, I like (love) #1. It's a bit deeper than the 2nd one and I think that can make an EC very special.
I'll be so interested to see how you like them IRL and which one you choose!

I am also uneducated about emerald cuts and I’m thinking the same as you. Hoping one “speaks” to me more than the other in person! I’ll be sure to update once each gets here

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
@Karl_K I have a quick decision I have to make. Do you like this diamond more than Diamond 2? It looks brighter to me, but the crown height is a bit shorter.

New diamond:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K I have a quick decision I have to make. Do you like this diamond more than Diamond 2? It looks brighter to me, but the crown height is a bit shorter.

New diamond:

less contrasty but 2 dances/flashes better,

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
less contrasty but 2 dances/flashes better,

Hmm I definitely want a diamond that dances the light well, but I’m not sure I want a diamond that looks dark from straight on.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmm I definitely want a diamond that dances the light well, but I’m not sure I want a diamond that looks dark from straight on.

videos are indicators if your not feeling 2 go ahead and switch if you want.
Of the 3 if you were just seeing one in person I would say #1

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to provide a quick update. I just received the first diamond (1.61ct H VS2) and it’s MESMERIZING!!

I also ended up sticking with the other diamond as well (1.7ct G VS1) and will hopefully be receiving it sometime next week for comparison. I think I do actually appreciate contrast in the facets so it may be a tough choice!

B699D46E-CF89-4742-AC40-1BFFAC303537.jpeg C0556DD7-2ED4-4300-BDA8-94F9E87D8BDC.jpeg AFE9B501-F93A-4D97-8234-1A166C30A357.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results