shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing between two diamonds, help!

eless

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster :) I've learned a lot from you guys as I've prepared to buy a engagement ring.

So, after much lamenting and deliberating, I've narrowed it down (at least for the time being - still open to considerations) to two candidate diamonds. Here are the specs:

Diamond 1: GIA, 1.51 carat, SI2, G, EX/EX/VG (polish is VG); seems to be a great cut but slightly imperfect "hearts and arrows," scores a 1.8 on the HCA; priced at $10.5k. Certificate: http://bit.ly/ldBiOv

Diamond 2: GIA, 1.40 carat, SI1, G, EX/EX/EX, "hearts and arrows," scores a 5.0 on the HCA :o; priced at $11.5k. Certificate: http://bit.ly/mkvU3K

If I stick my nose up to the SI2, I can see inclusions right underneath the girdle and maybe one under the table, but I can't see anything on the SI1. I have seen both of these stones in person, albeit only in the jewelry store, and both look GREAT to me (an admittedly untrained eye). I repeatedly asked the jeweler to do blind tests, and probably 4/5 times I chose Diamond #1 (the 1.51 ct SI2). I did blind tests on the jeweler, and she always picked Diamond #2 (the 1.40 ct SI1).

My gut is telling me to go with the 1.51, but I'm conflicted because it's an SI2 and if I really try, I can see some inclusions. The SI1 is definitely "eye clean" and has the H&A designation going for it, but it's more expensive and smaller.

Anyone here have a preference or can offer some momentum to push me off the fence?

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I would go for the SI2. how often are you going to try and hold it to your eye once it is set?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both these stones are deep and that is causing them to face up a little smaller than they should. Honestly, I would not want either one. The HCA score on the 1.4 would rule it out, and there is no way that I'd consider the 1.5 since it has eye visible inclusions. Plus, I'd want a 1.5 to average closer to 7.4mm in diameter. I'd focus on a depth of no more than 62.2 and preferably 62.0 or less. I'd recommend looking further, personally.

eless

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback!

I can't really scan the certificate right now. As far as looking at better/deeper stones, I am afraid of going from G to H - I can see a difference (under jewelry store lighting), although I realize there are "good" Hs and "bad" Gs. There is an un-ignorable psychological factor associated with crossing the 1.50 carat mark, and it seems I need to give up something to stay within budget. Are the above-described points poor sacrifices to make? Compromise seems to be the name of the game here...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results