shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing between three stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I would like your help in choosing between three stones (all three are from James Allen). Diamond #3 is eye-clean, whereas the other two you can see inclusions if you know where to look. I will post links and idealscope images for all three in separate posts.

Diamond #1
1.06 ct. H-SI2
Depth: 62.1%
Table: 55.0%
Crown: 35.0 deg
Pavilion: 40.8 deg
HCA score 1.6 (TIC), Ex, Ex, Ex, VG

ISI#1-JA.jpg

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Oops. #1 again.

ISI1-JA.jpg

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Diamond #2
1.11 ct. H-SI2
Depth: 60.4%
Table: 57.0%
Crown: 34.5 deg
Pavilion: 40.6 deg
HCA score 0.7 (TIC), Ex, Ex, Ex, VG

ISI2-JA.jpg

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Diamond #3
1.14 ct. G-SI2
Depth: 61.1%
Table: 56.0%
Crown: 34.0 deg
Pavilion: 41.0 deg
HCA score 1.3 (TIC), Ex, Ex, VG, VG

ISI3-JA.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly, have you checked that they are all eyeclean to your standards? The second has a grade setting cloud so make sure it isn't having a negative effect on the brilliancy of the diamond - this is rare but best to check and it looks as if the third diamond has a plotted cloud also.

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. How do you know if a cloud is "grade-setting" or not?

#3 is eye-clean, and I am trying to get a better feel for how visible the inclusions are on #1 and #2

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 1:46:54 PM
Author: RBsearch
Thanks for the feedback. How do you know if a cloud is 'grade-setting' or not?

#3 is eye-clean, and I am trying to get a better feel for how visible the inclusions are on #1 and #2
If a cloud is noted on the plotting diagram of a diamond in the SI clarity grades, particularly SI2 and is a reason for the diamond getting an SI2 grade, then evaluation is recommended to make sure the diamond doesn't have a negative effect on the diamond. This is different to the commonly remark you see in the comments section of the grading report " clouds not shown" or " additional clouds not shown" basically mean ' not shown' equal too insignificant to plot so not an issue.

The vendor will be able to advise you if the grade setting clouds are a cause for concern or not, most often they are not by all accounts but best to check.

Ask JA to evaluate each diamond for you concerning ' eyecleaniness' as you won't get a good idea yourself going by images etc, they will be able to look at each diamond and describe it to you., if you don't want to see any inclusions visible from any angle or in any lighting at close scrutiny, make sure you tell them that so they understand your expectations.

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
I am trying to get a bit more information on the clouds in #2 and #3. I think #3 is probably my best bet so far, as JA tell me it is eye clean at 10 inches, and I think the IdealScope image looks quite good.

However, does the contrast look low in #3? Specifically, the arrows in the photograph don''t look as dark as some others I have looked at. Is this just variation in the camera/lighting environment, or is it something weird about this diamond? Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 2:18:36 PM
I am trying to get a bit more information on the clouds in #2 and #3. I think #3 is probably my best bet so far, as JA tell me it is eye clean at 10 inches, and I think the IdealScope image looks quite good.

However, does the contrast look low in #3? Specifically, the arrows in the photograph don''t look as dark as some others I have looked at. Is this just variation in the camera/lighting environment, or is it something weird about this diamond? Thanks!
I think its fine, you can get variations in how the IS images turn out due to the positioning of the diamond, reflection and obstruction, technique etc, the IS looks good.

Let us know what the verdict is on the other diamonds but the third definitely looks promising.

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Actually, I was talking about the contrast in the photo provided on the JA website for #3. In that photo, the contrast looks a little low, but I don''t know enough to judge! Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 2:23:38 PM
Actually, I was talking about the contrast in the photo provided on the JA website for #3. In that photo, the contrast looks a little low, but I don''t know enough to judge! Thanks!
Ok no worries! Don''t go by those photos, they are only meant to give an idea of the inclusions - not the beauty or performance of the diamond. Best to ask a professional who can see the diamonds to give you an idea of which one has the most '' flair''.

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Here's the update from JA: The SI2 grade for #2 and #3 is due primarily to the feather and crystals, and not due to the clouds. They tell me that those clouds don't affect the brilliance of either diamond. JA prefer #3, due to the fact that it is totally eye-clean.

Does help solidify any opinions? I am pretty undecided here, and could use the advice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 2:36:21 PM
Here''s the update from JA: The SI2 grade for #2 and #3 is due primarily to the feather and crystals, and not due to the clouds. They tell me that those clouds don''t affect the brilliance of either diamond. JA prefer #3, due to the fact that it is totally eye-clean.

Does help solidify any opinions? I am pretty undecided here, and could use the advice.
Then it sounds as if the third is the one to concentrate on, and as you are leaning towards it anyway!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #3...Largest
2.gif

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
My remaining concerns with #3 are that the HCA scoring only gave it a Very Good on scintillation (the other two received Excellent on scintillation), and also the feathers on the edge of the GIA plot (could these reduce the strength of the diamond?). Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it so much.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 3:29:59 PM
My remaining concerns with #3 are that the HCA scoring only gave it a Very Good on scintillation (the other two received Excellent on scintillation), and also the feathers on the edge of the GIA plot (could these reduce the strength of the diamond?). Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it so much.
Don't worry about that, the HCA cannot physically see the diamond and as such cannot predict with any real accuracy the various performance nuances of any diamond. The feathers are unlikely to be a problem even in SI2 clarity, check with the vendor and if you would like additional peace of mind, get an independant appraisal during the return period so an expert can give you an impartial opinion on the diamond and any concerns you have.

And you are most welcome!

Appraiser listing

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
According to JA the feathers on #3 won''t affect the structural integrity, but I will certainly get an outside appraisal if I decide to buy.

I am just so nervous to click the "purchase" button! The last time I found one I liked, I waited too long and someone else bought it... There is just so much out there to look at, how do any of you ever make a final decision??!

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Still seeking some opinions on Diamond #3 (below). Yes, I am desperate for reassurance! Given my priorities (cut, then size, then color, then clarity), is this a good choice for $4400 ?

stats (copied from above):
Diamond #3
1.14 ct. G-SI2
Depth: 61.1%
Table: 56.0%
Crown: 34.0 deg
Pavilion: 41.0 deg
HCA score 1.3 (TIC), Ex, Ex, VG, VG

D3-JA-web.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great.

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your feedback. For what it''s worth, we plan to set it in this Tacori ring, which both my girlfriend and I really love:

Tacori2620-web2.jpg

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Shameless bump for any further opinions on #3.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous setting!!

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone! I just bought #3 (above) from James Allen. Oddly, the price was cheaper than it was when I first started inquiring about this diamond a few days ago. By quite a bit. Weird, right? I swear it''s the same diamond. A few days ago it was listed at $4400 after the PS discount, when I bought just now it was only $3670 after the PS discount. Does that make any sense?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 3:23:27 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I just bought #3 (above) from James Allen. Oddly, the price was cheaper than it was when I first started inquiring about this diamond a few days ago. By quite a bit. Weird, right? I swear it's the same diamond. A few days ago it was listed at $4400 after the PS discount, when I bought just now it was only $3670 after the PS discount. Does that make any sense?
I am not sure on the price, but congrats!!! Great choice!

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to say thanks to all who helped me find the right diamond and setting. Just picked it up yesterday. Here are a couple of photos.

frontweb.jpg

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
side view

sideweb.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!!!!! ITS FABULOUS!!!!

You did good!!!
emthup.gif

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 10:52:38 AM
Author: Lorelei

Thanks! I really love the finished product, and I hope she does too! I'm happy to finally have it back from Tacori, and it's been fun trying to take photos. Now I just have to hide it for a couple of weeks...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Congratulations!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 12:36:28 PM

Date: 3/26/2009 10:52:38 AM
Author: Lorelei

Thanks! I really love the finished product, and I hope she does too! I''m happy to finally have it back from Tacori, and it''s been fun trying to take photos. Now I just have to hide it for a couple of weeks...
How could she NOT love it????
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

It truly is outstanding!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results