shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ridlejs

Rough_Rock
Ok, Ive just about got my loose stone picked out. Now I need to find a setting. Ive looked at the various vendors, but it doesn''t seem like you get as good of a deal as you do with stones. After looking at B&M stores, the prices are about the same and sometimes less than a comparable setting. What I am looking for is a channel set, six prong, white gold setting. The look I want is that like this classic tiffany setting: http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10016#f+2/0/0/0/0/0 I want to get something like this for $900 or under, keeping everything around $3000.

2 questions: Is it the same story, quality-wise, buying from my local jewler as opposed to James Allen? Is the quality (like loose stones) that much better from James Allen, or another vendor?

If I buy the setting from a local jewler, how much does it cost to set a stone?

I like this setting from JA, I would just like it in six-prong. Also are the stones that much smaller than the Tiffany? I cant really tell? http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/White-Gold-Engagement-Ring.html

Thank yall so much again! Dont know what Id do without you!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The cost of gold is pretty high right now so that might have something to do with the setting costs.

If you like the setting your jeweler has I would make sure he is willing to cover the stone if it gets damaged during the setting process. The nice thing about getting the stone and the setting from the same place is that protection is usually offered.

Setting costs can vary widely from one place to another. Having done both, I have found setting fees to be cheaper online. When I got my sapphire set into a simple white gold setting, I got hit with almost $300 in setting fees. That was more than the setting! At another B&M I paid just over $100. So it varies. I would ask you jeweler to give you an estimate before you buy the setting so you can factor that in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results