shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a ring style for my chonk finger

cagerep

Rough_Rock
Hello! I’m new to this forum but have seen PS popping up in all my searches so decided to post here!

My partner and I are scoping out potential engagement rings as I didn’t know what I liked etc etc.

For a while I was set on 3 stones, around 0.8 carats for a center and smaller pear shaped diamonds on the sides. But then I tried on 5 stone rings and I kinda love them, even though they aren’t perhaps “traditional” for an ering.

To make things harder all the ring stores only have teeny rings so it’s hard to figure out what it would actually look like!! (Ring size = 8)

Here are a few I’ve tried recently:

1. 5-stone
Total diamond weight: 1.52ct
Colour: E-G
Clarity: I1 & VS
Fluro: 1 @ Med Bl
Cut: VG
A7BAEACE-35D0-4BE3-AD17-5B741F8FCEEB.jpeg

2. 3-stone
I don’t know all the details but I believe colour is D-F
Center stone 1ct (but would probably go with 0.8ct
034F247F-E452-4DD6-8839-1D6F2537A4AC.jpeg

3. 7 stone Ashoka ring platinum
Total: 1.54 cut
D-F
IF / SI1
9317AB00-A791-4478-BD6B-66E259D7EF83.jpeg

Thoughts? The 7 stone is soooooo sparkly I can’t think past it. The 3 stone is more “engagement” but I feel like 5-7 stones is classy somehow :lol: and I like that they cover the entire width of my finger. For a 3 stone to be that big it’s way out of my budget!!

Whatever style I choose would probably be done in rose gold as I prefer it on my skin. However for the Ashoka that would be a custom order from William Goldberg so that’s more of a mission.

So yea just after some 3rd party thoughts because I suck at making decisions! :)

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's great that you are looking at rings in person to see what you like. If you are open to shopping online you will find more options, better quality, and better prices. I personally like the 5 stone the best although I would not get a 5 stone with I1 clarity or VG cut.

You can find beautiful 5 stone rings from ps recommend vendors that will sparkle like crazy!

I don't know a lot about ECs but I'm sure someone will chime in about it.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
8 is hardly chonky :lol:
Chose what you like- the second looks most like an engagement ring, but it’s 2019, there are no rules! :twisted2:
Do you have a budget? Perferances of your own? I’m blown away by how many helpful people are on this board, so if you have a vision or what you want your engagement ring to be, feel free to share it :P2

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: welcome!

What do you mean “chonk” finger, lol?? Hahaha - hey, even if your finger is a bit bigger, you need to put a more positive spin on it, girl! And really, ring sizes differ by only a few millimeters. I think you should say you have “queen” fingers, or something like that, and then explain that you require something larger for finger coverage ... hooray! You have more room for bling! :appl: No getting away with a .25 solitaire here! ... now I’m getting carried away.

Are you in the mall looking for ideas or are you considering buying? Have you considered online shopping for diamonds?

The PS vendors carry many similar styles and can make them for you. My main suggestion would be to start shopping around with the PS vendors for similar ring styles and diamond choices ... I think that if you compare those options to the ones you’re looking at in the store, you’ll end up with better quality for less.

I think some of the JA rings come with a virtual “see it on your finger” option that might help you with size. Somewhere around here there’s a link/app thing that will show a solitaire on a relative x size finger ... I can’t remember which vendor site has it ... I’ll look. I believe some of the members have it saved for local use - maybe they’ll see this and post how you’re finger looks in 1 carat vs .8 etc.

I actually like the look of all of your examples for your hand ... love the uniqueness of the 7 stone but think it looks best with the platinum ... not sure ... maybe it would look fabulous in rose gold too!

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

cagerep

Rough_Rock
8 is hardly chonky :lol::P2
Haha I never thought it was until I couldn't fit any rings in any stores!! Also on here everyone talking about their size 4's...:/

I'm in New Zealand so I'm not sure about the logistics of ordering online. My partner still wants to do the "choosing" but with very specific guidelines from me.
Budget is NZD12k so about USD 8k.

I tend to get fixated on one style or another, and at the moment it's 5 stone rings :dance:

cagerep

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Naww I feel bad for calling my finger chonk now! I kinda mean it endearingly!

I think maybe the online route will be more cost effective...the benefit of the 5-stone rings are you get way more bling because the diamonds aren't massive....I'm not keen on spending the whole budget lol my partner insists on it - what can you do?!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 5 / 7 / eternities look super classy as erings....if that's what you like don't worry about what's traditional :) that ashoka band is cool and unique...there are some online shopping whizzes on here and im sure some will be by with more options. Congrats!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a GREAT budget. A 1.25 ctw 5 stone from whiteflash is $3150 so you could easily get a 5 stone with larger stones.

cagerep

Rough_Rock
I think 5 / 7 / eternities look super classy as erings....if that's what you like don't worry about what's traditional :) that ashoka band is cool and unique...there are some online shopping whizzes on here and im sure some will be by with more options. Congrats!

Thanks for the validation! I think I am leaning more to the 5s. Also, if my partner is "choosing" there are less factors involved, whereas 3 stones have to be just right for me.

Not engaged yet though! We are scoping out rings. Maybe I should tell him I just want to choose it myself after we get engaged...

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@kmoro Omg that is such an awesome name lol. I love it.

@cagerep Don't feel one bit bad about being more than a size 3. The great thing about the internet is we can all share here. Size 3 or not! And believe me we are not all size 3's here :) As far as your pictures I really love the seven stone! I think it's beautiful on you!

cagerep

Rough_Rock
@MeowMeow Thank you! This community seems like a really great place!
OOh yea it's a lovely ring but I think it carries a premium for the cut and platinum etc. My gut says I can get something for less (it was 11k NZD although can get 15% if we buy it duty free)

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
@MeowMeow Thank you! This community seems like a really great place!
OOh yea it's a lovely ring but I think it carries a premium for the cut and platinum etc. My gut says I can get something for less (it was 11k NZD although can get 15% if we buy it duty free)

It really is a great place! I always love looking at everyone's pretties here. They are all so gorgeous in their own way. And yes you probably can do better. I would check with some of the recommended vendors and see what they can do for you and compare it to that ring.

cagerep

Rough_Rock
@MeowMeow & @ceg I'm starting down the deep rabbit hole of searching some of the PS vendors. It seems that a few Australians on here buy from the US so perhaps it won't be so difficult being in NZ.:confused:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of the 5 stone on your finger, looks really proportionate, and gives great coverage.

My sausage fingers are a 6.75 :D

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
IF you go with a 5 stone for your e-ring, what would you have for your wedding band?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome! I love the five stone but would not get the clarity and cut of the
one you described. There are many vendors on here that can get you better quality and size for the money you spend in your local stores.
If you do use the five stone as your engagement ring you can wear it as is without a band or with a thin band..I’ve seen that combination many times and it’s lovely!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you really like the sparkle of the rounds. It's very different from an emerald cut. If that speaks to you the most, I say use the budget for that. If you wanted it to have some larger stones i.e. graduated, your budget would allow for it. Here is a graduated version with both five and six stones. And your finger is not chunky. The graduated look may also feel more engagement like too.

8558459a30db009a2484bdddf96f6a20.jpg 02-A_1500.jpg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the graduated 5 stone idea! Very beautiful!

Reactions: AV_

Gigisdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hello! I’m new to this forum but have seen PS popping up in all my searches so decided to post here!

My partner and I are scoping out potential engagement rings as I didn’t know what I liked etc etc.

For a while I was set on 3 stones, around 0.8 carats for a center and smaller pear shaped diamonds on the sides. But then I tried on 5 stone rings and I kinda love them, even though they aren’t perhaps “traditional” for an ering.

To make things harder all the ring stores only have teeny rings so it’s hard to figure out what it would actually look like!! (Ring size = 8)

1. 5-stone

2. 3-stone

D-F
IF / SI1

Thoughts? The 7 stone is soooooo sparkly I can’t think past it. The 3 stone is more “engagement” but I feel like 5-7 stones is classy somehow :lol: and I like that they cover the entire width of my finger. For a 3 stone to be that big it’s way out of my budget!!

Whatever style I choose would probably be done in rose gold as I prefer it on my skin. However for the Ashoka that would be a custom order from William Goldberg so that’s more of a mission.

So yea just after some 3rd party thoughts because I suck at making decisions! :)
This suggestion isn’t likely to be like anyone else’s. I’ve found after I’ve tried on fake rings I’m more clear on what I really want or don’t. I think I would go to a flea market or Walmart pick out something cheap but that looks similar to what you want. But a couple of you can. They have $10. Silver rings there. And where them and make up your mind. Don’t rush. The fun is in the anticipation. And everyone will be all the more eager to see what your choice was when you reveal it. This really works for me. Hope it does for you too. Best of luck and congratulations❣️✨✨

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This suggestion isn’t likely to be like anyone else’s. I’ve found after I’ve tried on fake rings I’m more clear on what I really want or don’t. I think I would go to a flea market or Walmart pick out something cheap but that looks similar to what you want. But a couple of you can. They have $10. Silver rings there. And where them and make up your mind. Don’t rush. The fun is in the anticipation. And everyone will be all the more eager to see what your choice was when you reveal it. This really works for me. Hope it does for you too. Best of luck and congratulations❣️✨✨

This is a great suggestion! I recently decided to upgrade my stone and bought a cz in the size I thought I wanted. It really helped to try it for a few days!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had similar feelings when I was getting engaged. At the time my finger was about a 7.5. Thay gradiated 5 stone above was mine.
I think it’s a great idea! I always felt it was so flashy yet easy to wear. And I never felt like I was competing against larger diamonds because the look was so different.
Anyways I love the idea and I think the rounds in the first pic you shared look frigging amazing. On your hand.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That 5 stone looks awesome on your finger. Substantial and beautiful. Amazbling.:kiss2:
IMO that 5 stone has the most presence compared to your other options. And really suits your hand.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

1. 5-stone

2. 3-stone

D-F
IF / SI1

That 7 stone looks sublime on your finger. It is just a mega classy take on an e-ring and can serve later as wedding band. And considering that w-band problem is solved, you could get additionally a splendid right hand ring :twisted2::twisted2::appl: How is that for enablement :love::dance::rodent:

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for the 5 stone. It looks great on you, and you have the finger real estate and budget to get a really substantial ring.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for 5 stone in plat with plain rose gold wedding band.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
off topic but i had to add this in case people don't know about the "chonk chart" :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

SrtYVIr.jpg

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the 5 stone band: classic and classy!
:wavey: purplesilk

cagerep

Rough_Rock
IF you go with a 5 stone for your e-ring, what would you have for your wedding band?
Probably just a plain gold or rose gold band (I'm leaning towards rose gold). I really like ones which are square edged but haven't seen many in stores here

Other option would be to just have the one ring on my left hand (like a band and e-ring in one)

Last edited:

cagerep

Rough_Rock
That's a really good suggestion thank you!

cagerep

Rough_Rock
I had similar feelings when I was getting engaged. At the time my finger was about a 7.5. Thay gradiated 5 stone above was mine.
I think it’s a great idea! I always felt it was so flashy yet easy to wear. And I never felt like I was competing against larger diamonds because the look was so different.
Anyways I love the idea and I think the rounds in the first pic you shared look frigging amazing. On your hand.
@missy @Miss Marple @motownmama @purplesilk Thanks for your votes!! 5 stones are hot in the lead...would plat be weird with a rose gold wband? Do they need to be the same metal?

@Dizzie I have fallen pretty hard for this one!! It's expenny though but it's an "easy" option rather than getting one made etc etc (which might be too complicated for my partner). I was thinking last night (when you can't sleep and think about rings instead) that perhaps since it's in plat I just would have it as e-ring and wband in one. My partner liked it without a band next to it anyway...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results