shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a loose diamond

jan11

Rough_Rock
Hello!

My boyfriend is looking for a loose diamond and has asked me for my opinion on these 2 diamonds that were shown to him. Based on the information he gave me, I don't think they're great diamonds but I've only done some research and maybe I'm not seeing something that the jeweler sees.

Jeweler 1 diamond - 1.30, I, VS2, VG/G/G, 7.07-7.18 x 4.19, Depth 58.8, Table 62, price $6800,
Jeweler 2 diamond - 1.52, H, VS2, G/G/VG/ 7.41-7.52 x 4.53, Depth 60.7, Table 64, price $10,200

Should he buy one of the diamonds from the Jeweler or should he keep looking?

Thank you!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe I'm not seeing something that the jeweler sees.

If these are rounds, the main reason for suggesting these two is probably because these are what the jeweler can sell at his price point given your boyfriend's stated priorities.

If cut is your main priority then you should make that clear.

Good luck!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are those GIA stones? Very Good cut and Good cut aren't very good at all. You want at least triple excellent (cut, polish, symmetry) and then within that, there are more parameters for crown and pavilion angles (which are to be proportional to each other). A 64 table is pretty gigantic.

Why don't you post your desired specs (size, tint, eye clean?) and budget and people on here will find you options you can see if your jeweler can pull in for you to view. Or, do like so many happy diamond owners here, and skip the bs and shop online. IDJewelry, for instance, is in the diamond district in NYC, but they also have a website and many pricescopers have bought beautiful stones from them from afar (that have better specs (and more visually pleasing) than the two proposed above.

Don't compromise on cut, because that is what makes a diamond bright and sparkly.

jan11

Rough_Rock
Are those GIA stones? Very Good cut and Good cut aren't very good at all. You want at least triple excellent (cut, polish, symmetry) and then within that, there are more parameters for crown and pavilion angles (which are to be proportional to each other). A 64 table is pretty gigantic.

Why don't you post your desired specs (size, tint, eye clean?) and budget and people on here will find you options you can see if your jeweler can pull in for you to view. Or, do like so many happy diamond owners here, and skip the bs and shop online. IDJewelry, for instance, is in the diamond district in NYC, but they also have a website and many pricescopers have bought beautiful stones from them from afar (that have better specs (and more visually pleasing) than the two proposed above.

Don't compromise on cut, because that is what makes a diamond bright and sparkly.

Thank you for your help!

His budget: 10,000 to 11,000
Desired Specs
Eye Clean
Carat: 1.35 to 1.5
Color: H or I
Clarity: SI1 - VS1
Cut/Sym/Polish: Excellent
Depth: 61-62.5
Table: 54-57
Fluorescence: Faint/Medium
GIA

I have found some online but not sure about them since I won't be able to see them Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.33.11 AM.png

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at Whiteflash (WF) ACA or High Performance Diamonds (HPD) CBI?

Both ACA and CBI are top performing diamonds, from companies offering great service and wonderful policies re returns, trade-ups, etc.. They have ASETs, etc., for their diamonds and have inspected each thoroughly so you can be confident about the performance and other factors.

Just an example of what's within your budget (note wire discount if paying that way)

1.473 ct I VS2 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3952900.htm

jan11

Rough_Rock
Have you looked at Whiteflash (WF) ACA or High Performance Diamonds (HPD) CBI?

Both ACA and CBI are top performing diamonds, from companies offering great service and wonderful policies re returns, trade-ups, etc.. They have ASETs, etc., for their diamonds and have inspected each thoroughly so you can be confident about the performance and other factors.

Just an example of what's within your budget (note wire discount if paying that way)

1.473 ct I VS2 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3952900.htm

Question - what are ASETS?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a link to WF's page on ASETs.

Do not get overwhelmed by this stuff!

There are tools to measure the performance of a diamond; check for light leakage, the angle from which light is reflected, etc.

Some people want to know all about this, some don't - they just want a beautiful diamond.

Going with a branded diamond from a recommended vendor means you're getting a top quality cut - which means one that reflects lots of light, thereby giving you a sparkly diamond.

Rather like purchasing a well-regarded car without learning about engines.

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/about-aset.htm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results