shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a Diamond

Asteriskahn

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am looking for a Lab-Grown CVD diamond for an engagement ring with the following attributes:
DEF
VVS1-VVS2
Excellent+ Cut
2.7+ ctw
While having H&A on the report isn't that important, I would still like them to be relatively well defined.

I stumbled upon these three, from least to most expensive:

1. Slightly bigger table than I like. Other proportions seem good. Relatively nice arrows.
2. Slightly smaller diamond. Good proportions, maybe a bit of a steeper PA than I like? Relatively nice arrows.
3. Larger diamond with (my) ideal attributes (4Cs). Had some concerns regarding the proportions, particularly the depth. Additionally, arrows seem slightly hazy?

StoneAlgo rated the 3rd diamond with the greatest cut score of 9.6/10 (the other at 8.5 and 8.7 respectively) and I'm just not sure where it's coming from or what exactly it means. Any insight would be very helpful and maybe a direction for which to choose.

For context, the 2nd and 3rd diamonds are in the mix because I wanted to get one that pushes that "perfection" so she can flaunt (in a good way haha).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Asteriskahn!
None of those would make my recommendations due to the cut precision issues...they all appear to have a bit of pavilion twist.
Is 3.6 carats too big?

Screenshot_20240212-070417-527.png

Asteriskahn

Rough_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Asteriskahn!
None of those would make my recommendations due to the cut precision issues...they all appear to have a bit of pavilion twist.
Is 3.6 carats too big?

Screenshot_20240212-070417-527.png

Thank you! What might I be looking for to notice the pavilion twist? Maybe I can do some more research and searching and come back with another diamond or two!
3.6 does push the limit of the size I'm looking for at the moment.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! What might I be looking for to notice the pavilion twist? Maybe I can do some more research and searching and come back with another diamond or two!

This is an example of signs of an unevenly cut pavilion.

imprecise-jpg.949283

Asteriskahn

Rough_Rock
This is an example of signs of an unevenly cut pavilion.

imprecise-jpg.949283

I see!
So with the exception of the arrows, we don't really wanna see much black where the light isn't reflecting properly. Is that somewhat correct?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see!
So with the exception of the arrows, we don't really wanna see much black where the light isn't reflecting properly. Is that somewhat correct?

Yes, you don't want to see variation between the arrows. At this size in particular, it would likely be visible in normal viewing. It can also result in leakage under the table.

Asteriskahn

Rough_Rock
Yes, you don't want to see variation between the arrows. At this size in particular, it would likely be visible in normal viewing. It can also result in leakage under the table.

Wonderful. Thank you so much! I'll do a little more searching with this in mind!

@DejaWiz
Might I be able to get a link to that diamond in the photo? I'd like to consider it as an option as well!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Here you go!

Asteriskahn

Rough_Rock

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much! Did you also happen to have the 3.6 carat diamond you mentioned?

Yes...let me know when you're here and I'll post it, which will give you time to looks at it then decide if you want to place a quick hold/reserve on it so that someone else doesn't swipe it before you get a chance to make a decision.

Asteriskahn

Rough_Rock
Yes...let me know when you're here and I'll post it, which will give you time to looks at it then decide if you want to place a quick hold/reserve on it so that someone else doesn't swipe it before you get a chance to make a decision.

Thanks so much. I'm here and ready to take a peek!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here you go!

Oh my. That is drop dead gorgeous. I have been looking at that size and shape too, though I'm not ready to buy yet (so I promise I'm trying to horn in on your purchase Asteriskahn). :lol-2:

But when I am ready to buy, I was thinking about half that price. But then, when I compare them to the one you posted, I definitely see a difference. I have no idea what the difference looks like in real life though. And it is quite a price difference.

What about these, for ex.? They're both listed as "ideal" cut fwiw.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Oh my. That is drop dead gorgeous. I have been looking at that size and shape too, though I'm not ready to buy yet (so I promise I'm trying to horn in on your purchase Asteriskahn). :lol-2:

But when I am ready to buy, I was thinking about half that price. But then, when I compare them to the one you posted, I definitely see a difference. I have no idea what the difference looks like in real life though. And it is quite a price difference.

What about these, for ex.? They're both listed as "ideal" cut fwiw.

The first one appears to be a fine looking 60/60 style, based on what I can see in the 360 video.

A few hundred dollars less at another seller, so have Ritani price match.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't know what you're looking for exactly, Asteriskahn, or your diamond experience but fwiw, I'd probably go for lower color and clarity in favor of larger size/lower price.

I used to have a CZ tester set for color and had a hard time telling the difference between an F and an I, personally. And I have owned a few (mined) diamonds.

So when I am ready to buy a lab diamond, I wouldn't have a problem with I or most J's (if the color is the same throughout and not variegated throughout the stone) and most VS2, for ex. I won't accept lower than ideal cut though. Just my opinion, of course. :)

Asteriskahn

Rough_Rock
Let me know if you have any questions!

Wow that's beautiful. What a difference.
As much as I'd like to click Buy, I think the 0.5 - 0.9 ctw might be a touch too large for her (relative to her).

@seaurchin
GET OUT OF HERE!!!
Haha totally kidding and please do use the thread as you like! There will always be more diamonds!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Wow that's beautiful. What a difference.
As much as I'd like to click Buy, I think the 0.5 - 0.9 ctw might be a touch too large for her (relative to her).

@seaurchin
GET OUT OF HERE!!!
Haha totally kidding and please do use the thread as you like! There will always be more diamonds!

Nah. I am already in "jewelry jail" with my sweetie for other recent jewelry purchasing misbehavior. :bigsmile:

Asteriskahn

Rough_Rock
I don't know what you're looking for exactly, Asteriskahn, or your diamond experience but fwiw, I'd probably go for lower color and clarity in favor of larger size/lower price.

I used to have a CZ tester set for color and had a hard time telling the difference between an F and an I, personally. And I have owned a few (mined) diamonds.

So when I am ready to buy a lab diamond, I wouldn't have a problem with I or most J's (if the color is the same throughout and not variegated throughout the stone) and most VS2, for ex. I won't accept lower than ideal cut though. Just my opinion, of course. :)

Not at all! I really appreciate your input.
The size I'm aiming for is right around the 2.7 - 3.0. While I know DEFGHI would be very difficult, if not near impossible to tell at a glimpse, or even a closer inspection without the proper lighting/angles, but I feel like it's right to grab something in the DEF VVS1-2 for her. I want her to have those happy bragging rights (sorry if it sounds childish haha). I've always loved how "D - Flawless" sounds. So immature... D - VVS is right in the sweet spot for budget and size I'm going for.

How lame am I... Haha

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Not at all! I really appreciate your input.
The size I'm aiming for is right around the 2.7 - 3.0. While I know DEFGHI would be very difficult, if not near impossible to tell at a glimpse, or even a closer inspection without the proper lighting/angles, but I feel like it's right to grab something in the DEF VVS1-2 for her. I want her to have those happy bragging rights (sorry if it sounds childish haha). I've always loved how "D - Flawless" sounds. So immature... D - VVS is right in the sweet spot for budget and size I'm going for.

How lame am I... Haha

The thing is everyone is different when it comes to color. I have to have at least a G for it to be colorless enough for me but I can totally still tell the difference between a D and a G so I think if you can manage it getting a D/E color would be amazing because that ensures it will be colorless to her. Clarity is less an issue and a VVS is likely overkill as a requirement but if it’s what you want than go for it. My own engagement diamond is a VVS but that was just accidental. My requirements were color, size and then clarity for my ranking of importance. I just wanted an eye clean stone.

Finally, no one has ever (outside of Pricescope) asked me the color and clarity of my diamond. I think we are the only crazies that care that much. I have gotten a lot of compliments over the years on how sparkly my ring is but not one person has ever asked for the details so if you find an awesome D VS stone maybe still consider it.

Asteriskahn

Rough_Rock
The thing is everyone is different when it comes to color. I have to have at least a G for it to be colorless enough for me but I can totally still tell the difference between a D and a G so I think if you can manage it getting a D/E color would be amazing because that ensures it will be colorless to her. Clarity is less an issue and a VVS is likely overkill as a requirement but if it’s what you want than go for it. My own engagement diamond is a VVS but that was just accidental. My requirements were color, size and then clarity for my ranking of importance. I just wanted an eye clean stone.

Finally, no one has ever (outside of Pricescope) asked me the color and clarity of my diamond. I think we are the only crazies that care that much. I have gotten a lot of compliments over the years on how sparkly my ring is but not one person has ever asked for the details so if you find an awesome D VS stone maybe still consider it.

That makes a lot of sense haha. I absolutely will!

I definitely need to hear some things to ground me too. Cause I've literally told myself the same thing. That no one is going to take a loupe to her ring, or try to ogle it to the point of being weird when she's displaying it on her finger.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
The 3.65 seems to be gone - Asteriskahn was that you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results