shape
carat
color
clarity

Choose the Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 all the way. the angles are great and the IS image is awesome.
3.gif

dreamycastle

Rough_Rock
Hi Belle

Thanks very much! I love #2 as well, but I''m hesistant simply bcos the symmetry and polish is v.good while the others are excellent. Am I being silly here?

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i''m not a round diamond expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I kinda like #1.
love the colorless aspect and the excellent ratings are never a bad thing, imo.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re welcome dc
2.gif
and no, you''re not being silly at all. buying a diamond is a big deal and you want everything to be just perfect..we''ve all been there! it would be a whole lot easier in that regard if we could have these stones cut to order!
20.gif
of course...we can''t, so we have to prioritize our criteria and select using a little ''give and take''. the second stone has everything going for it...nice size, excellent color/clarity, awesome angles, beautiful IS image....all of those things will be appreciated by your eyes. as for the polish/symmetry being ''very good'' instead of ''excellent''...you will never notice the difference. i guarantee when you see that diamond, all of your fears will be completely abolished. it''s a beautiful stone.

dreamycastle

Rough_Rock
Hi Belle

Actually I asked the vendor the same question and he told me both are fantastic. Seems like the vendors never tells you which one is better ;-)

I''m 50 + 30% leaning to the 2nd one now.....

By the way, when I look at the IS images... sad to say, they look pretty much the same to me
7.gif
(( Then again, that''s why i like this forum so much!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are all great looking stones, there''s no doubt. if you lined them up side by side, you may or may not be able to detect the subtle differences between them. that''s one of the hard (or easy?) parts about picking them by the information here... you have to deduce by other means. for myself, #2 would be the easy pick but you really can''t go wrong with any of them. do what feels right for you.
2.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Belle is absolutely correct. Unless you have microscopes for eyes, you''ll never be able to "see" the difference between a stone graded very good or excellent in polish or symmetry. My stone is GIA graded "good" in polish and "very good" in symmetry and I would defy you to see a difference in one graded excellent.

Good luck.......

PS: #2 All the way

LI-Mark

Rough_Rock
Hello, first post here at Pricescope. I have been reading and learning a lot the past two weeks. I am getting ready to buy my GF some earrings and have been looking at a lot of different sites, but there''s so much to know. I''ve found that, by far, the best way to learn is to read this message board because everyone is so helpful.

First off, Dreamy, they all look like great diamonds to me, but I am totally new at this.

In saying that, I had a questin regarding the 3 IdealScope images mentioned above. Why isn''t the 3rd one the best? Isn''t it which ever shows the least amount of white in the scope would be the best image? I knwo the 2nd one looks like a brighter red than the 3rd - would that have anything to do with it? Forgive me if these are bad questions, but I was looking at 2 diamonds at WF that I thought had great IS images (closest to the third, but darker), but maybe I have misunderstood how to judge the IS images.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 11:30:16 AM
Author: LI-Mark

In saying that, I had a questin regarding the 3 IdealScope images mentioned above. Why isn't the 3rd one the best? Isn't it which ever shows the least amount of white in the scope would be the best image? I knwo the 2nd one looks like a brighter red than the 3rd - would that have anything to do with it? Forgive me if these are bad questions, but I was looking at 2 diamonds at WF that I thought had great IS images (closest to the third, but darker), but maybe I have misunderstood how to judge the IS images.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
hey li-mark
35.gif
welcome to ps!
i'll answer your questions and do a bit of hijacking of this thread here since dc may have the same questions as you.

it is neither the darkness of the red nor the least amount of white that make a good IS image. many people mistakenly think that dark red images correlate to a more brilliant (fiery..whatever) stone. this is just not true. you could have the same stone photographed under different set-ups/conditions and get different saturations of red. it is the OVERALL difference of color WITHIN EACH image. looking at the differences in color within each image individually will tell you more about what is going on within the stone. areas of lightness in an otherwise evenly colored image indicate leakage. the lighter and whiter these areas are, the more leakage present. this is not to say that the areas of intentional contrast leakage (the little even triangle spots of white between the arrow tips) is bad. on the contrary, it adds some extra 'spark' to the overall scintillation and is often times preferred among well cut stones.

again, these are all very nice images that represent top cuts. we get spoiled here on ps with all of the amazing stones that are available and often times get carried away trying to pick one best over another. the idealscope tutorial has a better representation of the diamonds you could easily dismiss due to obvious leakage and poor symmetry. for the most part, we don't see any of that here. we're left to splitting hairs on really well cut stones.... life is tough!
5.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh I like # 2 that IS is making me drool!
18.gif

LI-Mark

Rough_Rock
Thank you, belle, for clarifying that! I was just looking at the Idealscope tutorial when you replied. Looking at the examples in the tutorial, most of them are fairly easy to tell whether they are nicely cut diamonds or not, but a few in the H&A section were a little harder to tell.
I know what you mean about getting crazy picking which one - I''ve seen a ton of amazing stones here the past 2 weeks, but I think it''s great that you and many others here at PS are willing to help educate us "non-pros".

Thanks again for your help!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 1:12:56 PM
Author: LI-Mark
Thank you, belle, for clarifying that! I was just looking at the Idealscope tutorial when you replied. Looking at the examples in the tutorial, most of them are fairly easy to tell whether they are nicely cut diamonds or not, but a few in the H&A section were a little harder to tell.
I know what you mean about getting crazy picking which one - I''ve seen a ton of amazing stones here the past 2 weeks, but I think it''s great that you and many others here at PS are willing to help educate us ''non-pros''.

Thanks again for your help!
you''re welcome li-mark
2.gif

feel free to start your own thread and we can dissect some of your choices too!
27.gif

dreamycastle

Rough_Rock
Wow.... thanks all posters.

This is really very interesting. Then it is #2 for me!

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results