shape
carat
color
clarity

Choice of two Princess Cut Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jgoepel

Rough_Rock
First off, THANK YOU to everyone who has posted responses to the many questions on here...you guys have given me a lot to go on. I have been diligently searching PriceScope for a few weeks now, and think I have narrowed my search down to one of two stones. I am not sure whether I''ll be able to see them next to each other, so I''d appreciate some guidance. The specs are as follows:

Stone 1:
GIA Cert
SI2, D color, No fluorescence
5.47x5.3x4.13
Depth: 77.9
Table: 74
Girdle: Not listed
Polish/Sym: Good
Price: $2499

Stone 2:
EGL Cert
SI2, E color, no flourescence
5.66x5.54x3.9
Depth: 70.9
Table: 70
Polish/Sym: Good
Girdle: STK
Price: $3013

I need to keep my cost around $3K, but the less I pay the more I can spend on the setting. I am thinking of a platinum setting, thus I want a stone that will really sparkle and that looks as white as can be. It is difficult for me to tell whether the D to E color difference will be offset by the more advantageous proportions of stone 2 over stone 1 to make stone 2 more attractive. Plus, I don''t know enough to know whether stone 2 is likely to be $500 (20%) more attractive. Any guidance, assuming I can''t see the stones next to each other?

Again, thanks for any help!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jim, what about carat sizes?
1.gif

jgoepel

Rough_Rock
lol
Jeez...you guys want EVERYTHING! Sorry, I was asleep at the wheel!

Stone 1 is 1.00, and Stone 2 is 1.01

jgoepel

Rough_Rock
Actually, one more question too, which I guess is even bigger than my others...how bad will a VS2 stone look? I know that princess cuts are more "windowed" and can make it easier to see internal flaws. Is a VS2 likely to have a flaw that is readily discernable, or is it something that someone will have to take a good look at (probably with a loupe) before they'll notice it? I know VS2 sits right on the border between decent and lesser-quality, and I'd hate to have what is otherwise an attractive stone that is obviously flawed.

Thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Jim, you're still sleeping
snore.gif
1.gif

VS2 or SI2?

You shouldn't see inclusions with VS2. You want to make sure that your SI2 stone is eye-clean from the face up position. You probably will be able to see inclusion(s) from the side or bottom of SI2 diamond.

Regarding stones above. It is difficult to say which cut is better based on these numbers. #2 could be a better cut but from certificate and color point of view #1 is probably better...

I'm afraid you should show them to appraiser or at least ask you vendor to eyeball them for you

jgoepel

Rough_Rock
Yes, you are correct, I'm still asleep - I meant SI2! Thanks for the feedback, I'll see if the vendor can provide any additional info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results