shape
carat
color
clarity

choice of 2 VC settings

Edie

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Thanks to a previous thread I am considering a choice of settings for my 2.99 ACA diamond to one of the following 2 links attached....I would be very grateful for advice.
I have chosen Victor Canera because I love his pave work. If I chose setting 2, I would get the band pave-set.
My specific concern would be whether either of the 2 settings would be better than the other in terms of light transmission and sparkle of the diamond. Thanks!

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/six-prong-pave-solitaire-with-scalloped-basket

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/cathedral-band-solitaire-with-scalloped-basket

PS; it would be great to get any pics of the settings in real life on a hand:angel:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to dampen your spirits but have you checked with VC about doing a setting for you? His policy is not to work with diamonds bought from other vendors if he can also provide them (rounds and cushions, specifically).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course, I would LOVE for you to work with VC, but he rarely sets outside stones.

I love the look of a wider page starting with larger stones and going down in size as the band progresses.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He will occasionally set outside stones if he has time and the stone is of the quality he likes for his rings. Since he doesn't stock larger stones often, I am hopeful he would set your gorgeous stone!

I love the Cathedral Band Solitaire with Scalloped basket a lot more than the other one. I think a doughnut at the base of the head is so much more attractive. Plus I love the head of this ring more.

You can set your diamond in anything and it won't hamper light return. Light is reflected out of the top of the diamond, so you can totally cover the sides and it won't matter. People set diamonds in halos and bezels all the time. As long as the stone is cut well, you're fine.

Last edited:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of these two, I prefer option 2 with the cathedral band. As @diamondseeker2006 mentions, the look of the head and donut is so balanced and refined. It also feels more secure with a cathedral.
Will you combine it with a band? In that case your band will sit flush with ring number 1. With ring number 2 there will be a gap (which I really like, but that’s personal).
850B99B8-5EBF-4CD8-AE62-9E6F4A6B3CFA.jpeg 09E421B4-725F-4C31-8D91-38FAED5381EF.jpeg
Victor has set my OEC and three colored stones... I am hopeful he can make a beautiful setting for you as well.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just call and ask to speak to Victor yourself. If you don’t need it immediately, I bet you would be able to get him to do it. There are certain settings that take a much longer time to make and if he’s got a lot of on-going projects a short time frame may not be enough.
As to your question IMO it was completely depends on whether you are a six prong or a four prong girl. They both will not block any light. Come back if the answer is a no.

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the first choice ~ 6 prong scalloped basket! That is my DREAM setting.
I spoke with Nicholas at VC a few months back (he was awesome) and was ready to ship my BG stone to them but unfortunately life happened and I had to delay it.
Whatever you choose I can't wait to see it!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a large stone you have there, so I would advocate for 6 prongs, regardless of cathedral shoulders or not.

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone,

I know there has been some confusion about this policy in the past.

I wanted to post this publicly and say that we’re going to accept ALL orders regardless of them being with customer supplied stones or using our own stones from now on. For the best results and seamless shopping experience we still recommend our in-house signature cut diamonds for a myriad of reasons.

The struggle has been this; on the one hand hand fabricated jewelry is time consuming which means producing a tiny amount of pieces a week and on the other demand has outpaced the amount of capacity we have in producing hand fabricated items. As a business we’ve had to pick and choose the projects that made the most sense for us instead of giving very long lead times of 8+ weeks.

The really ornate vintage inspired designs which are extraordinarily time consuming will be decided on a case by case basis BUT those will clearly mention something about customer supplied center stones on them in their description. What’s unique to us I think is that we produce vintage inspired pieces that are actually crafted the exact same way as they were 100 years ago. There would be NO difference from a craftsmanship perspective between an item we produce today and an estate piece from 80+ years ago. I feel proud to say that I offer true modern antiques. These designs make up a very small number of our overall catalog, maybe something like 10 pieces in total. These items can take 3-4x longer to fabricate as compared to a more standard design and would have meant producing only a single ring a week. Manufacturing only a single ring pre-mount a week is not a viable business model for any modern jewelry shop. We wouldn’t be able to keep the lights on to be frank by doing this. IF there’s enough time we won’t turn away these orders either though. We just need some flexibility with these dozen or so designs that are the exception to the rule.

I hope this clear things up.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just to let you know, I and I’m sure others would be willing to wait 8-10 weeks on a project from you. (Although I know you would prefer shorter times)

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is great news. I’m glad you’re back to taking outside stones, as I was really disappointed when I reached out a few months ago about having you do a memorial piece for me and was told of your policy. Now I can look forward to working with you on a future piece!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

How exciting! I am so pleased to read this! Thanks!!!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor I love you :oops:
for chiming in to clarify

#ringgoals

justpeachy

Shiny_Rock
I 100% prefer the cathedral setting. Really, really gorgeous. I like the donut, I like the prongs, and it looks more secure and comfortable.

Something about the 6 prong with the scalloped basket reminds me of a spiderweb.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results