shape
carat
color
clarity

"Chocolate" pearl earring project - clueless first timer!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
This is a tall order - I have a specific idea in mind, but absolutely no clue where to start with it! So please bear with me and thank you in advance for your help
1.gif

I am working on an earring project that will be combined "graduation" and "wedding" earrings. I am hoping to order a pair of 3-prong martini diamond studs, around 0.3-0.4 ct each. I would like to design "earring charms" (correct term?) for these to be worn for my wedding in December. I''m thinking of either chocolate or yellow pearl drops, and have no idea where to start. I''ll try to give as much info as possible about what I''m thinking, and hopefully some kind soul will point me in the right direction!

The studs will be roughly 4.4mm I guess (haven''t ordered them yet). So for balance, I am thinking the pearls should be just slightly larger? Maybe 5 or 6mm. Maybe somebody can advise me if there are any large price jumps with pearl sizes as with diamonds?

Regarding the colour, I am leaning more towards the brown over the yellow. I am looking for a pale rather than a rich brown. I am not sure if "chocolate" is the correct term for the shade I''m looking for. Similarly with the yellow, I would prefer a pale golden shade as opposed to a vivid yellow hue. Is there price difference I should be aware of with these colours?

Finally, I would prefer a "tear drop" shaped pearl over a round pearl. Could somebody please advise me if there is a price difference between these two shapes?

PS very finally...
2.gif
...where do I start looking??

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Porridge - I''m doing something similar right now. I already own diamond studs, about 42 points each, or just under 5 mm in diameter. I''m having my jeweler convert a pair of Pearllunar earrings into drops to wear with them. I checked to see what they have in teardrops right now, and this golden pair is available. Link It is my understanding that chocolate pearls are a darker brown than what you are describing, and the color comes from dying the pearl. But, I''ll defer to the pearl experts here, which I am decidedly not. I''m thinking that the pearls for your studs can be larger than 6 mm and still look great.

pEARLlUNARTEARDROPS1.jpg

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Oooh those are lovely, just what I was thinking of! How are they so cheap?? I called Leslie at BGD today to get the project up and running, hopefully she''ll have some for me next week. Thanks!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
They are Chinese freshwater pearls being sold direct to you via eBay, so no middleman. From my reading, Tahitian pearls are much more expensive. Of course, I'm sure you can find someone who will charge you more.
2.gif
Here is the pink-gold pair I'm having converted to drops by my jeweler. I just love the teardrop shape and the delicate pinkish color.

PinkGold toneHgoH-DMEjlLluysEBKVBfEKzfQ~~_35.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Another vendor who carries these pearls is RWWise, and you can be sure they will be tip top quality from him.

http://www.rwwise.com/products/id%7C622

Even here the prices don''t break the bank.
1.gif

rwwise622_1.jpg

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Haha, I think I''ll keep my money and look no further
2.gif

Thanks a million FlyGirl, these are spot-on what I was thinking. Can I just buy these EBay earrings and send them to BGD to be made into drops? Vendors don''t mind you doing that?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2009 5:22:09 AM
Author: Porridge
Haha, I think I''ll keep my money and look no further
2.gif

Thanks a million FlyGirl, these are spot-on what I was thinking. Can I just buy these EBay earrings and send them to BGD to be made into drops? Vendors don''t mind you doing that?
I would ask them first, but that is exactly what I did with my jeweler. The pearls were $60 and the conversion cost me $28. You sure can get a lot of different looks out of one pair of diamond studs by going this route.
1.gif

I just picked up the pearls from the jeweler today and here are a few pictures for you.

Pearl7636.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
A shot showing a pearl off the stud in natural lighting.

Pearl7645.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Finally, an ear shot. I think I am going to like this look a lot.

Best of luck on your project!

Pearl7621.JPG

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
FlyGirl, that is exactly, spot on what I want. Beautiful earrings! Thanks for posting.

Would you mind terribly if I showed your pic to the vendor as an inspiration pic? I will be making my own little personal tweaks of course.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2009 5:24:03 AM
Author: Porridge
FlyGirl, that is exactly, spot on what I want. Beautiful earrings! Thanks for posting.

Would you mind terribly if I showed your pic to the vendor as an inspiration pic? I will be making my own little personal tweaks of course.
Thanks, Porridge. Of course you may use the pictures. Good luck on your project.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results