shape
carat
color
clarity

Chocolate Diamond...new obsession

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lineyd

Rough_Rock
I am quite taken with pics I''ve see on the forum of chocolate diamonds. How do I select one? Are they just at the bottom of the color scale...then what are black diamonds?? I need an education...any help is appreciated!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well for some kind of in-depth education I recommend something like THIS (hope the link works). No, they''re not at the bottom of the color scale, black ones are the cheapest. And the most important advice I can think of regarding browns is that you look for a specific shade of brown (coffee, chocolate, cocoa, whiskey, cognac, champagne...). In other words, they don''t need to have those terms describing them, but they do need to have a specific shade of brown. Stay away from anything greyish, greenish or undefined brown (except if you like those shades, which would most people describe as...muddy). Hope this helps
2.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
There are all kinds of brown diamonds. I have seen yellowish brown, orangy brown, and even reddish brown stones certified natural fancy by GIA. i have also seen a true, natural fancy brown, and it was really gorgeous! Lots of options out there! One thing I have to say, fancy diamonds are all about YOUR likes, NOT about what other people think about color. One of the greatest color diamond graders on the planet told me that, Stephen Hofer. Find a color you like, regardless of what others may say. Do not avoid stones with grey or green if you like them. Fancy diamonds are not about marketable value as much as what YOU see when you view them.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I believe there is a formal color-grading system for brown shades. I have some earrings that are C4 or C5 (may be called "champagne").

Anne

PS - At one point, I was thinking of having a champagne diamond tennis bracelet made. At that time, of all the PS vendors I contacted, only WF could source such diamonds (and actually sent me samples - which I paid for).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 12:29:13 PM
Author: anne_h
I believe there is a formal color-grading system for brown shades. I have some earrings that are C4 or C5 (may be called ''champagne'').

Anne

PS - At one point, I was thinking of having a champagne diamond tennis bracelet made. At that time, of all the PS vendors I contacted, only WF could source such diamonds (and actually sent me samples - which I paid for).
Champagne and cognac are a marketing name to describe various shades of brownish diamonds. I believe Argyle came up with those names. I believe C1 through C5 (not 100% positive) are the true GIA grades for these "champagne" diamonds. Someone correct me if I''m wrong.

What is nice about champagne diamonds is that you can often find ones with substantial pink in them, and it''s not the price of a true fancy pink diamond. The brown modifier brings the price down considerably. However, pink champagnes are the most expensive of the champagne diamonds.

Enjoy your champagne!!
31.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know what it is about brown diamonds but every time I wear mine, they seem to get noticed! I''ve got to say that I love them but as you can see from the photos they''re quite different in colour. The pear shape has wonderful orange tones and is really vibrant - terrible setting that doesn''t do the gemstone any favours at all! The Oval is a much softer, perhaps more "champagne" in colour. The amount of different colour fire from this is amazing. I see green blue, red, orange, yellow flashes etc. This particular colour - although you can''t tell from the photo - really suits yellow gold. The cushion cut is more a cold colour. This one has some grey undertones so looks quite different from the others.

You can buy brown coloured diamonds very cheaply (and also some at incredibly high prices too)! All of the diamonds featured below are 1ct or over and I''ve not paid more than $500 for any of them! Hope this helps.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds by lauren has a pretty good selection.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Innerkitten and Omieluv. Fancydiamonds.net and Diamondsbylauren has great selections on colored diamonds.

There are several PS members who purchased from these vendors with a positive experience, as well as beautiful stones.

What shape and size are you interested in?

I love colored diamonds too!
30.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i so love the browns!

mz

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I have purchased several natural fancy diamonds from them. Their delivery is quick, and each stone has been prettier in person.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
That is good to know. I have created an account, let''s see how much trouble I get into! :)

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:47:18 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I don''t know what it is about brown diamonds but every time I wear mine, they seem to get noticed! I''ve got to say that I love them but as you can see from the photos they''re quite different in colour. The pear shape has wonderful orange tones and is really vibrant - terrible setting that doesn''t do the gemstone any favours at all! The Oval is a much softer, perhaps more ''champagne'' in colour. The amount of different colour fire from this is amazing. I see green blue, red, orange, yellow flashes etc. This particular colour - although you can''t tell from the photo - really suits yellow gold. The cushion cut is more a cold colour. This one has some grey undertones so looks quite different from the others.

You can buy brown coloured diamonds very cheaply (and also some at incredibly high prices too)! All of the diamonds featured below are 1ct or over and I''ve not paid more than $500 for any of them! Hope this helps.
Those are beautiful! I don''t know what is it about brown diamonds either, but they have such charm and personality! Especially love the pear-amazing colour!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I fell in love with a chocolate coloured diamond in De Beers in London two years ago - I used to go in and visit it every time I was walking past.

I decided to take DH to see it just so he knew what a ''great'' brown diamond could look like - it had vanished from sight....
15.gif

I asked the manager who knew exactly which stone it was and then raved about it for 15 minutes and how loads of people had been coming to see it as it was one of the finest they had ever had. Sadly it was now sold.

It was about 1.5ct, an rb and had the most perfect saturation I have ever seen in a cognac diamond.

I''m planning to get one as my reward for being pregnant for 9 months....
1.gif
I just hope it takes less time to find...

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I am pleasantly surprised how much I really love those brown diamonds! Such an interesting stone.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Those stones were less than $500 each?! Wowzers they''re gorgeous!

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I really like the deeper fancy orangy brown/brownish oranges! They are really fantastic!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh lovingdiamonds, will you share where you found yours, they are lovely?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 1:25:50 PM
Author: autumngems
Oh lovingdiamonds, will you share where you found yours, they are lovely?
I''m so sorry autumngems but a friend of mine is a gemstone dealer and occasionally he gets diamonds like this that are a bargain and fall into his lap. I''m lucky that he normally calls me first to see if I''m interested (and I usually am)
37.gif

lineyd

Rough_Rock
OHHHHHHH;;living diamonds...I love yours! I am a big pear lover and I want that one..thanks for sharing and helping to edcate me!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
You certainly have one magnificent collection of colored diamonds, and not just chocolates. Although the chocolate is yummy
18.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
So pretty... I love anything chocolate!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results