shape
carat
color
clarity

Chips....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lab

Rough_Rock
I don''t know anything about diamonds other than I like them....alot, so please excuse me if my questions seem silly or redundant....
Do chips significantly reduce the value of a diamond?
Can a chip develp into a more serious crack or split?
Can a chip be corrected...buffed out or something and should it ?

The diamond I am looking at is a 1.10 round ''miner''s cut'' (whatever that is) and considered in the range of Above average: clarity range (S1-S3) and color range - near colorless (GHIJ). Note: these are the sellers parameters. Thanks for any advice, Lisa

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

Chips can reduce the value of a diamond. A chip can develop into something more serious depending on location, size of chip, type of chip etc. In some instances they can be polished out or the diamond can be recut. If you are interested in this diamond then it would be very prudent to have an expert look at it before purchase to make you aware of any durability issues if appropriate. Do you particularly want an old miner? Really even with far better knowledge than mine, any advice is really guessing and you need an expert to look at it. These are not that uncommon from what I understand with these diamonds.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 2:57:40 PM
Author:lab
I don''t know anything about diamonds other than I like them....alot, so please excuse me if my questions seem silly or redundant....
Do chips significantly reduce the value of a diamond?
Can a chip develp into a more serious crack or split?
Can a chip be corrected...buffed out or something and should it ?

The diamond I am looking at is a 1.10 round ''miner''s cut'' (whatever that is) and considered in the range of Above average: clarity range (S1-S3) and color range - near colorless (GHIJ). Note: these are the sellers parameters. Thanks for any advice, Lisa
Hi and welcome to PS
35.gif

You are referring to an old mine cut stone. They are lovely diamonds and yes some can have chips on the outer edges. If you are serious about the stone, I would get it appraised by an independant appraiser. They can tell you how serious the nature of the chip or chips are. Is it eye clean?? Who is the seller?? Is it from ebay??

lab

Rough_Rock
Thank for your advice, I know the seller has had it appraised and he is a very well known and trusted estate seller. I have bought from him before but I don''t know anything about miner''s cuts and chips, this ring is the first one he has offered with this particular problem.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Si1 to SI3 range.... whatever that means....

I would imagine this grade is not based on "chips" alone!!!!

lab

Rough_Rock
Yes, it is from ebay and I am always skeptical of that but I have bought a traditional diamond ring from him before and his apprasial was over $500 less than what it appraised at at my jeweler. It was a wedding set and I paid $650.00 for it and it appraised at $4000.00. This man sells estate jewelry and other items and is a very trusted seller on ebay. Its just I have never looked at a diamond with chips or problems and I didn''t know if it could be fixed, also I didn''t know what a miner''s cut was and that it was more likely to have them. He has his own appraisals done but I am not sure by who, anyway I was going to bid very low if at all seeing as there may be some issue here that is not worth the risk. Thank you though for welcoming me and advising me on this, I really appreciate it. Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results