shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipping or losing stone on tension setting titanium ring??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Snufkin

Rough_Rock
I am considering of buying a "tension setting" ring made of titanium. This type of rings shape like either spiral or the letter "C" and the stone is held in between the gap by the springy tension of the ring.

I am just wondering how securely the stone is being held. It seems like if the tension between gap is too weak or if one of the end of ring gets caught by something, wouldn't the stone fall? Or the tension is on the cleavage, would the stone simply crack? Does anyone have any experience on this kind of ring? My girlfriend is allergic to white gold and wants something very unique. Any suggestion on these issues??

Thanks much!

Snufkin

DiamondDog

Rough_Rock
Tension settings, like those from Gelin and Abaci use approx 60 lbs. of tension to hold the diamond in place.

losing the diamond is less likely in a properly constructed tension setting than in a traditional prong setting.

While I have seen titanium used for diamond setting, I would not recommend it. The slate gray color is not shiny and the setting would be very light. to most people, light=cheap. I would recommend Platinum.

Because the diamond edges are exposed, the diamond is more susceptible to chipping. Insure the diamond for full replacment value with your insurance carrier and let her wear it with peace of mind.::)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results