shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipping diamond

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I've smacked my ring a few times and I always worry that I chipped the diamond. Would it be obvious? I've smacked it on walls/cribs/treadmills. If I smack it against brick would this be really bad? Would it scratch the diamond?

Thanks for any feedback. I'm already thinking I need to get the diamond set fairly low for my forever setting.

Susan

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only a diamond can scratch another diamond, but an impact with anything dense can chip a diamond.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
If you haven't chipped it yet, and you know you are likely to keep smacking it into things, you might consider resetting it in a low, bezel setting. Those are pretty great for protecting diamonds. You can loupe it yourself or have any local jeweler check it for you. (I have one and I really love knowing it's more secure, since I too am pretty hard on jewelry.)

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
You should buy a loupe so you can examine it. You may or may not be able to see a chip with your eyes but you might also be able to feel a rough spot. The danger is chipping on impact and scratching it is very unlikely. Just be sure its insured and you're fine. I had a chip polished out of my stone without any problems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results