shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped tanzanite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tahitiangirl

Rough_Rock
Is it fixable? I really need some answers.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the size of the chip and its location. Any pictures? A small chip might be able to be buffed out without any loss in apparent size (and minimal carat weight loss). A large chip might mean a recut. It all depends.

tahitiangirl

Rough_Rock
Sorry no pictures, but the chip/scratch seems to be along a facet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A side facet? How big/deep is it?

tahitiangirl

Rough_Rock
The chips and the scratch do not go deep, and i can only see them using a loupe, but I am still worried.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn''t sound too bad (more like regular wear and tear) and can be buffed out by a experienced jeweller. Have you brought it in to your local jeweller for his/her opinion?

tahitiangirl

Rough_Rock
No, I am going in today. Hopefully they can repair the stone. Does it cost a lot?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only wear my tanzanite on special dates with my hubby. I am so afraid of banging it or chipping it. It is such a soft stone.

Linda

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t had such service done before although I have read about it here on PS. It sounds like it should be relatively inexpensive, but I''m not 100% sure.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you cant see it without a loupe Id leave it be.
Every time you polish a stone there is a risk and in this case that risk might be larger than letting it go.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Find someone that knows Tanzanite well. Sounds like it can be buffed out or polished away, without hurting the integrity of the stone. Shouldn''t cost too much. Find a good lapidary, ask local jeweler''s who they would recommend. But don''t hand the stone over unless you are satisfied that they can do the job for you. Tanzanite is a soft stone, so you don''t want to do this often. I believe it''s a 6 or 7 on the Moh''s scale of hardness.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results